Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama's grandmother dies

How sad. Rest in peace.

The day BEFORE election day. How sad. At least she made it this far and they got to have a final moment together. It sucks that he can't really deal with it right now considering it's downtothewire. My heart goes out to them.

Aw.. rethugs filed an injunction against Obama on this topic hours before she died.

If it wasn't so pitiful, it would be funny. On the day before the election, the California Republican Party has filed a complaint against Barack Obama and his campaign:

Obama for America violated federal law by converting its campaign funds to Senator Obama's personal use. Senator Obama recently traveled to Hawaii to visit his sick grandmother...Therefore, the Obama Campaign violated the FEC's ban on "personal use" of campaign funds when it paid over $100,000 for the Campaign's charter to fly to Hawaii without obtaining reimbursement from Senator Obama.

Comedy. Did John "Thank God My Wife Owns A Jet" McCain, reimburse anyone after he "suspended" his campaign, yet continued to travel? Did he reimburse anyone for the weekend jaunts to his ranch to wait for his cell phone tower? Is this really the road the GOP wants to go down?

I love the smell of desperation in the morning. It smells like...victory.

Daily Kos: This Is What Desperation Smells Like
    *snort*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm watching CNN right now, he's wiping away tears.

definite sympathy bounce
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I really feel sorry for him right now- he is going through the wringer with the voting about to start- his grandmother dying and now his campaign manager.

So sorry he has to deal with this right before election day. He won't fully be able to enjoy his win. RIP Toots.

How awful. I'm sure they had some feeling that she wouldn't pull through this, but to happen before she could see what happens on election day. And then his campaign manager in Nevada dies.

Damn, I will have to have a drink on his behalf.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

How sad

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This is sad because she'll never see her grandson become president. What a shame.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm confident she's looking down at him. She'll see his presidency one way or another, though he won't be able to see her.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I take this as a good sign that he will be president

I really think she saw that truth and let go..... RIP thanks for being a wonderful granny to our next prez!

Elite Member

I am so incredibly sad she couldn't make it to see him elected. May she rest in peace.

Those comments posted earlier in the thread from the repug site made me sick to read them. They are truly vile.

Bronze Member

Very sad Stay strong Obama

In what was clearly a very difficult portion of his address Monday night in North Carolina, Barack Obama spoke for several minutes on this grandmother's death from cancer Sunday night.

At one point, it seemed, he was moved to tears.

Calling it a "bittersweet time" in his life, there were moments when one could detect the sadness in his voice and face. The crowd in Charlotte did its best to pull him along, screaming out words of support as he detailed Madelyn Dunham's life and drew from it threads that weaved into his candidacy and message. It was a poignant moment: the woman who helped raise him passing away just hours before the election.
    No matter what happens tomorrow, I'm going to feel good about how it has turned out because all of you have created this remarkable campaign. She is gone home. And she died peacefully in her sleep, with my sister at her side. And so, there is great joy as well as tears. I'm not going to talk about it too long because it is hard, a little, to talk about. I want everybody to know though a little bit about her. Her name was Madelyn Dunham. And she was born in Kansas in a small town in 1922. Which means she lived through the Great Depression, she lived through two world wars, she watched her husband go off to war, while she looked after her baby and worked on a bomber assembly line. When her husband came back they benefited from the GI bill, they moved west and eventually ended up in Hawaii.
    She was somebody who was a very humble person, a very plainspoken person. She is one of those quiet heroes we have all across America, who are not famous, their names are not in the newspapers, but each and every day they work hard. They look after their families. They sacrifice for their children, and their grandchildren. They aren't seeking the limelight. All they try to do is do the right thing. And in this crowd, there are a lot of quiet heroes like that, people like that, mothers and fathers and grandparents who have worked hard and sacrificed all their lives and the satisfaction that they get is in seeing their children or maybe their grandchildren or their great-grandchildren live a better life than they did. That is what America is about. That is what we are fighting for.
    Obama On Grandmother And Campaign: "Bittersweet"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information