Login to remove the ads!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 65

Thread: Barack Obama wins South Carolina Primary by substantial margin

  1. #46
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I wasn't talking about YOU or anyone else on the board, PB. I meant people that make up b.s. excuses like how Obama's name sounds too much like Osama and things along those lines. Somebody bringing up Obama's lack of experience is a VALID argument.

    And, in Hillary's case, if somebody brings up issues about how she's too 'weak' or maybe not 'strong enough to lead' then it's usually a roundabout way of saying only a man is strong enough to lead.
    Kingcap, I know you weren't talking about ME. I was stating my personal opinion on the matter. That's all. I'm sorry if it sounded otherwise, but truly, that was what I was doing. You and I seem to have a bit of a disconnect lately, I know that not everything is about me, believe me, I'm pretty insignificant in the general scheme of things.

    In any case, I agree that double standards often do apply to minorities and women, who are actually the majority, lol. It reminds me of what a former female mayor of Ottawa once said: Women have to be twice as good as a man to get half the credit, but fortunately, that's not difficult.

  2. #47
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Clarify, it's my girlfriends father, father in law of hubby's best friend. Apparantly he's a douchebag. Funny, I always thought he was a nice guy before. Now, notsomuch.

    I also don't get when people say Hillary has 35 YEARS experience. Doing what? Being first lady? Well then, Laura Bush should have plenty of experience being president also....
    The feelings of your friends father in law about Obama is what the republicans, the Clinton's, and most media outlets are hoping those are the same thought's and feeling's of most white voters. They said he can't and won't get white voters. That's why Bill Clinton compared Obama to Jesse Jackson on Saturday.

    Hilliary Clinton's experience is summed up as the... Bill Clinton ia my husband, who was the best President this country ever had, and you HAVE to vote for me because of HIM!!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

  3. #48
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    619

    Default

    I'm a conservative (bordering on libertarian), and here is my take on this: The Republican candidates are awfully uninspiring, but a LOT of people hate Hillary WITH A PASSION. I don't necessarily hate her, but as a woman who has worked my butt off to get where I am, I just don't see her as being able to sell herself without Bill... I have seen women who can (Leos like Bill and Obama..LOL), too, so it's not a female thing.

    I kind-of like Obama. There is a lot I disagree with him on, but I don't dislike him. I have heard that from other Republican voters I know, too. He kind-of makes you feel hopeful and that he will bring some fresh air and changes. I truly believe (and I am not a Democrat by any means) that he stands a much better chance than she does of taking it all- there's a feel of something big happening around him.

    I think there are some racists out there, but overall, most people I know don't even think the color is an issue. (And a couple of the worst racists I know are such hard-core Democrats they would never-ever vote Republican as the alternative.)

    Bottom line is that if given a choice between Hillary and an uninspiring Republican (crazy McCain or fake Romney), the Hillary haters will be out to vote AGAINST her. Given a choice between the uninspiring Republican and Obama, I think a couple might cross lines to vote for Obama, and some might stay home, because they don't feel passionately against Obama to vote for someone who sucks.

  4. #49
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Clarify, it's my girlfriends father, father in law of hubby's best friend. Apparantly he's a douchebag. Funny, I always thought he was a nice guy before. Now, notsomuch.

    I also don't get when people say Hillary has 35 YEARS experience. Doing what? Being first lady? Well then, Laura Bush should have plenty of experience being president also....
    Yeah, I'm trying to figure that part out myself, too. I mean, I'll agree that Hillary has 'experience' in the political realm, since she comes from a political family and has been around politics most of her life. But I think some people are trying to make it out to be that she's been a politician for 35 years, which she hasn't.

    And I brought this point up before, and I'll bring it up again. For the last 20 years all of our presidents have been named Bush or Clinton. If Hillary becomes president and stays in office for 8 years, then when all is said and done there will have been only two families, Bush and Clinton, occupying the White House for almost 30 YEARS. That's just scary, not to mention ridiculous.

  5. #50
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    32,408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    If Hillary wins the nomination then McCain is a probably going to win the presidency. Hands down. There are just too many people in America that hate Hillary with a passion to ever vote for her. If she does win the nomination, then she has no choice but to put Obama on the ticket, because she's going to need all the help she can get.
    Funny you should say that because I was with a group of Republicans yesterday who were all thrilled that Kennedy endorsed Obama. They want Obama to be the Dem candidate because they feel very confident that they can beat him in Nov. They are afraid they will not be able to win against Hillary. One of the women with me is the head of the county Republican Party here. They want Obama all the way and have encouraged some "right leaning" independants to become Dems to vote for him in the primary know they will not support him in the general election.

    They also pointed out that many people will publically bash Hillary because they can. To publically bash Obama risks them being branded racist so they keep their mouths shut.

  6. #51
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Funny you should say that because I was with a group of Republicans yesterday who were all thrilled that Kennedy endorsed Obama. They want Obama to be the Dem candidate because they feel very confident that they can beat him in Nov. They are afraid they will not be able to win against Hillary. One of the women with me is the head of the county Republican Party here. They want Obama all the way and have encouraged some "right leaning" independants to become Dems to vote for him in the primary know they will not support him in the general election.

    They also pointed out that many people will publically bash Hillary because they can. To publically bash Obama risks them being branded racist so they keep their mouths shut.
    I don't know why any Republicans feel confident that they could beat Obama? I mean, Obama, unlike any of the Republican candidates, has the ability to move crowds, inspire record voter-turnout, and has the ability to siphon off Republican and Independent votes. Hillary doesn't have that kind of influence, either, which levels the playing field more.

    And, as far as bashing Obama goes, they can bash him all they want, as long as they don't make his race an issue. Because that will blow up in their faces just like it did for Hillary in South Carolina. But knowing the Republicans, they'll be ready to throw out the race card against him the first chance they get, which will be their downfall.

  7. #52
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    32,408

    Default

    ^^ Agreed - they will be fighting down and dirty no matter who the dem candidate is. They are masters at planting false stories that gather speed as they travel.

  8. #53
    Elite Member darksithbunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    12,635

    Default

    Most people I talk to have only one problem with Obama and it's not race. It's actually the Muslim connection. So I am waiting for that to be thrown around.

  9. #54
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Most people I talk to have only one problem with Obama and it's not race. It's actually the Muslim connection. So I am waiting for that to be thrown around.
    I don't know why people keep trying to make an issue of that? (I don't mean you, DB) It shouldn't even be an issue. I mean, Obama's stepfather was Indonesian and Muslim and when Obama was a child, living in Indonesia, he had him attend a Muslin school. That doesn't make him Muslim.

    I have a lot of Muslim relatives in my family, who used to drag me to the mosque every Sunday when I was growing up, but I'm not Muslim. Hell, there was a Muslim congressman elected during the mid-term elections. Honestly, I think this whole Muslim angle is just a way to try and discredit Obama. Which is ironic considering that Bush and his entire family are in bed with the Saudis.

  10. #55
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    ^^That "Obama is a Muslim and hiding it" is a smear campaign popularized by Fox "News" and the Internet.

  11. #56
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^That "Obama is a Muslim and hiding it" is a smear campaign popularized by Fox "News" and the Internet.
    Amen!!!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

  12. #57
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting in judgement of YOU
    Posts
    27,269

    Default

    I think a lot of people dislike Hillary because she comes across as basically not a very likeable person. I find her lack of warmth or sincerity combined with ruthless ambition very offputting. A lot of women dislike her because she has been tolerating the humiliation of her husband's serial philandering, public and private, for years and being the smart woman she is, the only possible explanation for that is because she knows that without Bill's ring on her finger her political career would have been a non-starter as a senator, let alone Presidential candidate. People don't like First Ladies with brains and attitude. She should have known her place and remained barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Remember how unpopular Eleanor Roosevelt was?
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

  13. #58
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think a lot of people dislike Hillary because she comes across as basically not a very likeable person. I find her lack of warmth or sincerity combined with ruthless ambition very offputting. A lot of women dislike her because she has been tolerating the humiliation of her husband's serial philandering, public and private, for years and being the smart woman she is, the only possible explanation for that is because she knows that without Bill's ring on her finger her political career would have been a non-starter as a senator, let alone Presidential candidate. People don't like First Ladies with brains and attitude. She should have known her place and remained barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. Remember how unpopular Eleanor Roosevelt was?
    The philandering is none of nobody's business, what decisions she made about her marriage and her husband doesn't concern A DAMN SOUL, but her, Bill, and Chelsey.. I like her because she is ballsy and intelligent. I don't like weak women, and if she was meek and timid like Laura Bush...no matter who her husband is wouldn't matter at all!! And only backwards ass **** people think a woman should have a place, and remain barefoot!!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

  14. #59
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sitting in judgement of YOU
    Posts
    27,269

    Default

    And pregnant. You forgot pregnant.

    And his philandering WAS public business because it damn nearly got him impeached and he lied to the American people. And I don't respect women who allow their husbands to treat them like shit. Hillary isn't weak and timid at all which is all the more reason she should have kicked his sorry ass to the curb when HIS behaviour had such a huge impact on his wife and daughter. Or maybe she's just dazzled by his charm like everyone else. I bet they had great make-up sex.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

  15. #60
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And pregnant. You forgot pregnant.

    And his philandering WAS public business because it damn nearly got him impeached and he lied to the American people. And I don't respect women who allow their husbands to treat them like shit. Hillary isn't weak and timid at all which is all the more reason she should have kicked his sorry ass to the curb when HIS behaviour had such a huge impact on his wife and daughter. Or maybe she's just dazzled by his charm like everyone else. I bet they had great make-up sex.
    Ok, here's the thing. His philandering should have never came up, it never interfered with his Governing, so who cares. What a women decides to do in her relationship really doesn't have a thing to do with anybody. See, I don't think if she kicked him to the curb, she would be where she is today. There marriage seems to be built more on power, respect, and care... The only person that it had an impact on was Chelsea..she was the only one who didn't know and was innocent in everything. The republicans who called for his impeachment were screwing everything that he wasn't. I didn't feel lied to, I didn't care..he didn't like to me, he was trying to protect his daughter. Like I said their marriage seems to be more about power than anything else, and yes they had great make up sex...with other people.
    I guess what I am saying is..if I am not involved with the person doing the cheating why should I be angry or upset, since I am not directly involved!
    I Bleed Purple-Baltimore and Proud!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Barack Obama [President of the USA]
    By sweetrebel in forum Hot Guys
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: May 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
  2. Mitt Romney wins Nevada Primary - why?!
    By Cali in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: February 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2007, 05:50 AM
  5. The Magic Negro: Barack Obama
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •