Login to remove the ads!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama wins South Carolina Primary by substantial margin

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    And that's because he has that God-given gift for any politician - charisma. You may think the guy's a total sleazoid with the morals of an alley cat but even his most bitter enemies acknowledge he's got that X factor that other politicians, including his wife, can only dream of. There aren't many politicians, let alone Presidents who'd have survived the Monica Situation "I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman".

If Hillary does appoint him to a senior government post I don't think people will say "oh, it's because he's her husband". They will say "she's using her most valuable political asset".

Side Note: He came to Oz shortly after he left office on a worldwide lecture tour and a friend of mine happened to be staying in the same hotel in Sydney. She saw him in the hotel souvenir shop buying postcards and other Australiana crap and said you could FEEL the charisma from 50ft away. It wasn't the posse of security men and other clingons - he just has It.
    Oh, I agree that Bill has that charisma. I voted for him twice, and if he could run for president for a third term I'd vote for him again in a minute.

And I've got to disagree that people wouldn't make an issue of her giving Bill a cabinet position. Hillary would be the first female president. If she appointed her husband to a cabinet position, then it would come off like she needs to have him there. It would be the same thing if Obama, as the first black president, appointed a slew of black people to cabinet positions. He would get the same kind of criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    And she doesn't have that charisma. And thats whats so apparent to me, as much as people go on and on about gender equality, the truth is that Hillary wouldn't be anywhere without her husband. People are voting for him, not her. And its sad that the same people talk out of two sides of their mouth, talking about how capable and strong she is, while at the same time urging her to promote her husband to the forefront of her campaign. I want to know about HER. And yes, Kingcap, Obama is running against both of them, which I cannot begin to understand how frustrating that process must be, especially since only one must "answer" to him come debate time.
    And that's it in a nutshell. While Hillary may have been around politics most of her life, ALL of her political clout is due to Bill Clinton. People can try to ignore that fact as much as possible, but that's the reality of it. It's not like Hillary's Nancy Pelosi, who has risen to the ranks of political power, without having to ride somebody's else's name, husband or otherwise.

And, January, you're right, people are voting moreso for Bill, not Hillary. Yet, another fact that people can choose to ignore, but it doesn't make it any less true. I mean, I think a lot of the Hillary supporters have to ask themselves would they honestly be backing Hillary if she wasn't married to Bill?

Nancy Pelosi has fought and scrapped to get where she is. Hillary was elevated to her position because of Bill. I don't see this as a huge "women's liberation" victory, is my point. Its odd to me to see any candidate so dependent on their spouse, and it makes it worse that she's the first viable female candidate and a male is fighting her political battles. And Kingcap, I don't know why more women don't question this. Its something that really baffles me, and depresses me at the same time. This is not a victory for women in the US.

Kingcap, did you see Obama's victory speech in SC last night? Man, that guy knows how to speak, he has my heart beating faster as he talks.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^Nah, I missed his speech, January. I was working. But I'll probably be able to catch it on one of the cable news shows.

And, yeah, I agree that he does have a way of inspiring people, just like Bill Clinton did. And that's something that rarely happens.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And that's it in a nutshell. While Hillary may have been around politics most of her life, ALL of her political clout is due to Bill Clinton. People can try to ignore that fact as much as possible, but that's the reality of it. It's not like Hillary's Nancy Pelosi, who has risen to the ranks of political power, without having to ride somebody's else's name, husband or otherwise.
    Hey there King nice posts...however about Nancy Pelosi...she comes from a Italian American political dynasty...

The Nancy Pelosi saga is significant also because it sheds light on the most important Italian American political dynasty in history -the D'Alessandro family. The D'Alessandro household originated in the East where it became a powerful Democratic Baltimore family but now prospers in the West –California -- in the person of Nancy. Her father Thomas ... age 23 ... won a seat in the Maryland House of Delegates and then a Congressional seat that he held for many years ... He also never forgot his ethnic roots as, for example, during and after the Second World War when his radio broadcasts exhorted Italians to abandon Benito Mussolini and join the Allied side, and in the postwar period his was a stalwart voice urging Italians to vote against the Communist party. In 1947 he won the Baltimore mayoralty –the first of his nationality to gain that position and was re-elected three more times. His eldest son Thomas J. D'Alessandro, Jr., served as Baltimore's second Italian American mayor from 1967 to 1971.

The zest for political life rubbed off on the youngest of the D'Alessandro clan, Nancy who married and moved to California where she became the mother of five children, but never lost her enthusiasm for political interplay, thereby becoming the third member of the D'Alessandro dynasty.
    NIAF MileStones

So, given her connections, it's not far-fetched to believe that her family name afforded her many open doors.

edited: I forgot. I think everybody has posted some good insights into the madness of the Clinton campaign. Their behavior in SC really left a bad test in my mouth. And, it got me to thinking whether 4 years of Billary back in the WH will really move our country forward or not. Or, will we get bogged down in twisted half truths and Clinton speak (It depends on what the meaning of is is) and continued divisive hostility from both political parties.

Oh and one more thing. Has any wondered why as the Clinton's cast aspersions on Obama's character, no one is bringing up Whitewater, Lewinsky, and the controversy around the death of that lawyer? I mean are folks just being respectful of Hillary? (Or, will Repubs wait 'til she gets the nomination and use it as heavy artillery?) I guess she could say that this is not about Bill since she is the candidate. But, if she is using him as an attack dog and he is campaigning for her and slinging mud, well isn't he fair game? I mean really, he's raising questions about character?
    Last edited by xavier_moon; January 27th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
    ...feed me now!

I'm not an expert on the Constitution, but I know former presidents who have served for more than six years can't be President or Vice-President. But I don't see why they can't be appointed to a Cabinet position.
    I was wondering this myself and I researched it. No former President or family member can be appointed as a member of the current President's cabinet. He could be appointed to another position though, just nothing in the Executive Cabinet.

I'm counting down the days until the Bush era is OFFICIALLY over, too. Can't be soon enough. And I don't want anybody with the last name Bush near the White House ever again.
    Me too! I have a counter on my laptop! As of this moment, he has 358 days, 19 hours and 25 minutes left.

I'm SOOO excited about Obama winning SC!! And now Caroline Kennedy and Ted Kennedy have officially endorsed him. This is so amazing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xavier_moon View Post
    Hey there King nice posts...however about Nancy Pelosi...she comes from a Italian American political dynasty...

The Nancy Pelosi saga is significant also because it sheds light on the most important Italian American political dynasty in history -the D'Alessandro family. The D'Alessandro household originated in the East where it became a powerful Democratic Baltimore family but now prospers in the West –California -- in the person of Nancy. Her father Thomas ... age 23 ... won a seat in the Maryland House of Delegates and then a Congressional seat that he held for many years ... He also never forgot his ethnic roots as, for example, during and after the Second World War when his radio broadcasts exhorted Italians to abandon Benito Mussolini and join the Allied side, and in the postwar period his was a stalwart voice urging Italians to vote against the Communist party. In 1947 he won the Baltimore mayoralty –the first of his nationality to gain that position and was re-elected three more times. His eldest son Thomas J. D'Alessandro, Jr., served as Baltimore's second Italian American mayor from 1967 to 1971.

The zest for political life rubbed off on the youngest of the D'Alessandro clan, Nancy who married and moved to California where she became the mother of five children, but never lost her enthusiasm for political interplay, thereby becoming the third member of the D'Alessandro dynasty.
    NIAF MileStones

So, given her connections, it's not far-fetched to believe that her family name afforded her many open doors.
    Only if she was the Senator of Maryland would it count. As we all have come to know being a Mayor of a city doesn't give you that much political clout. Her being a third generation politician means that she knows how to run a campaign, and what hard work, not just name recognition gets you. She didn't run on her family's name, she ran on their strength. Hiliary is running on the fact that her husband was a successful President, and she was by his side...
    Boycotting The Ravens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xavier_moon View Post

NIAF MileStones

edited: I forgot. I think everybody has posted some good insights into the madness of the Clinton campaign. Their behavior in SC really left a bad test in my mouth. And, it got me to thinking whether 4 years of Billary back in the WH will really move our country forward or not. Or, will we get bogged down in twisted half truths and Clinton speak (It depends on what the meaning of is is) and continued divisive hostility from both political parties.

Oh and one more thing. Has any wondered why as the Clinton's cast aspersions on Obama's character, no one is bringing up Whitewater, Lewinsky, and the controversy around the death of that lawyer? I mean are folks just being respectful of Hillary? (Or, will Repubs wait 'til she gets the nomination and use it as heavy artillery?) I guess she could say that this is not about Bill since she is the candidate. But, if she is using him as an attack dog and he is campaigning for her and slinging mud, well isn't he fair game? I mean really, he's raising questions about character?
    Thanks. Nice post from you too, XM.

While I'm sure coming from a political family may have helped Nancy to a degree, she didn't ride her family's name to become the Speaker of the House. I never heard of any of that info on her family until you mentioned it. That's a sign of someone who carved out her own political destiny and didn't ride solely on name recognition like Hillary is doing.

And you're right about the Republicans being able to bring up Bill's issues. If Hillary is going to put Bill out there as her attack dog, then she has to take the good with the bad. She can't just want to use his popularity, but get defensive when people bring up Monica, Whitewater, and the impeachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I was wondering this myself and I researched it. No former President or family member can be appointed as a member of the current President's cabinet. He could be appointed to another position though, just nothing in the Executive Cabinet.
    Okay. That's good to know. But from what I heard, Hillary can get Bill to finish out her term in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    Me too! I have a counter on my laptop! As of this moment, he has 358 days, 19 hours and 25 minutes left.

I'm SOOO excited about Obama winning SC!! And now Caroline Kennedy and Ted Kennedy have officially endorsed him. This is so amazing!!!!
    That's 358 days, 19 hours and 25 minutes too many, as far as I'm concerned.

And Caroline's endorsement carries a LOT of weight. Ted's, well, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Only if she was the Senator of Maryland would it count. As we all have come to know being a Mayor of a city doesn't give you that much political clout. Her being a third generation politician means that she knows how to run a campaign, and what hard work, not just name recognition gets you. She didn't run on her family's name, she ran on their strength. Hiliary is running on the fact that her husband was a successful President, and she was by his side...
    Very true. And she doesn't seem to have a problem doing it either. I think that's why she keeps trying to make Obama's race an issue, because she knows that she can only go so far just coasting on Bill's popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    It could be that there are more people who hate Republicans than who hate Hillary.
    nope, as a republican, i have to tell you i don't think so. if hillary is nominated, i think that will be the death of the hope for a democratic president this time around. however, there IS something about obama that makes me think he could pull it off.

^^My hubby says if Hillary gets it, he just won't vote at all, because he hates Hillary that much. If Obama gets it, he'll vote Obama. He will not vote Republican. I think if Hillary gets the nom, they may lose votes this way, whereas, Obama's proving that people will come out in record numbers for him. There was what, and extra 200K people that voted in the primary with comparison to the last one.

Story, Sat night, I was at a birthday party for our best friend's son. I'm watching the primary results and chatting with brother and sister in law of our male friend about politics, the election, etc... Male friend's FIL comes in the room, drunk, and says, "why are you watching this?"

Me: "Cuz I want to watch this."
    FIL: "This is stupid."
    Me: "you'd better get used to it because you're looking at your next president."
    FIL: "I'm not voting for no nigger and no woman."
    Me: "The color of your skin and what's between your legs does not dictate the quality of the person." Then I shot him a dirty look that said, "Go away."

Dumb assholes like this don't really matter. He's a moron that voted for Bush in the first place.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^My hubby says if Hillary gets it, he just won't vote at all, because he hates Hillary that much. If Obama gets it, he'll vote Obama. He will not vote Republican. I think if Hillary gets the nom, they may lose votes this way, whereas, Obama's proving that people will come out in record numbers for him. There was what, and extra 200K people that voted in the primary with comparison to the last one.

Story, Sat night, I was at a birthday party for our best friend's son. I'm watching the primary results and chatting with brother and sister in law of our male friend about politics, the election, etc... Male friend's FIL comes in the room, drunk, and says, "why are you watching this?"

Me: "Cuz I want to watch this."
    FIL: "This is stupid."
    Me: "you'd better get used to it because you're looking at your next president."
    FIL: "I'm not voting for no nigger and no woman."
    Me: "The color of your skin and what's between your legs does not dictate the quality of the person." Then I shot him a dirty look that said, "Go away."

Dumb assholes like this don't really matter. He's a moron that voted for Bush in the first place.
    And that's what some people don't get, Hillary is going to do the Democratic Party more harm than good if she gets the nomination, because of the visceral hate people have for her. She doesn't have the power to siphon off Republican votes like Obama does. I think some people feel that the country's feelings toward Republicans will be enough to get Hillary's votes, but it won't. If Hillary is the candidate some people just won't vote like your husband.

Your FIL sounds like a real piece of work, but I know people just like that. At least, he's being honest about his feelings, instead of trying to cover it up with stupid excuses about why Hillary and Obama aren't 'qualified' like some people do. And that's what's going to come up in this election, race and gender. People's prejudices are really going to get put to the test.

By the way, LOVE the avatar. Bros before Hoes.

Speaking for myself only, I don't think that saying Obama is inexperienced, which I have said, or "not qualified" (which I've never said, I don't know about others) is automatically a coverup for being racist. The same goes for Hillary and sexism. I think that is a sweeping generalization. Sorry, but I do.

It may be true for SOME people, but certainly not for everyone.

*edited for clarity

Well, after the win in SC, it was the first time I had actually sat down and listened/watched Barack. I am a Hillary supporter currently, but if he gets the Nom, I'm jumping on his bandwagon totally.

The guy can rile up a crowd, he's a great speaker. And it is truly AWESOME how excited he has gotten people about this election! Even if it means Hillary not winning the Nom.....I think it's a great great thing to see.

Though, hate to say this, and I mean no disrespect, but if he DOES get the Nom, I have a fear that people will vote for anyone other than him--you know the kind of person I am talking about. Rednecks and total assholes.

Hope its not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Speaking for myself only, I don't think that saying Obama is inexperienced, which I have said, or "not qualified" (which I've never said, I don't know about others) is automatically a coverup for being racist. The same goes for Hillary and sexism. I think that is a sweeping generalization. Sorry, but I do.

It may be true for SOME people, but certainly not for everyone.

*edited for clarity
    I wasn't talking about YOU or anyone else on the board, PB. I meant people that make up b.s. excuses like how Obama's name sounds too much like Osama and things along those lines. Somebody bringing up Obama's lack of experience is a VALID argument.

And, in Hillary's case, if somebody brings up issues about how she's too 'weak' or maybe not 'strong enough to lead' then it's usually a roundabout way of saying only a man is strong enough to lead.

And that's what some people don't get, Hillary is going to do the Democratic Party more harm than good if she gets the nomination, because of the visceral hate people have for her. She doesn't have the power to siphon off Republican votes like Obama does. I think some people feel that the country's feelings toward Republicans will be enough to get Hillary's votes, but it won't. If Hillary is the candidate some people just won't vote like your husband.

Your FIL sounds like a real piece of work, but I know people just like that. At least, he's being honest about his feelings, instead of trying to cover it up with stupid excuses about why Hillary and Obama aren't 'qualified' like some people do. And that's what's going to come up in this election, race and gender. People's prejudices are really going to get put to the test.

By the way, LOVE the avatar. Bros before Hoes.
    Clarify, it's my girlfriends father, father in law of hubby's best friend. Apparantly he's a douchebag. Funny, I always thought he was a nice guy before. Now, notsomuch.

I also don't get when people say Hillary has 35 YEARS experience. Doing what? Being first lady? Well then, Laura Bush should have plenty of experience being president also....
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information