Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barack Obama to use Lincoln's Bible for inauguration

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but why is a bible used to swear in a President? Isn't there supposed to be a separation of church & state? Why not swear on the Constitution and give your word to the people instead of to a God that only a percentage of the population worships?
    Even though there's suppose to be a seperation of church and state, America still likes to hold onto its Christian/religious roots. Which is why the presidents take the oath on the Bible, why we have 'In God We Trust' on the money, and why the pledge of allegiance has the line 'one nation under God.' The whole thing just doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    ....or away from grassy knolls and book depositories.
    And can dodge shoes...
    I don't want to sound flippant about it though, let's hope President Obama is protected better than some of the others, such as Reagan getting shot.

Forgive my ignorance but why is a bible used to swear in a President? Isn't there supposed to be a separation of church & state? Why not swear on the Constitution and give your word to the people instead of to a God that only a percentage of the population worships?

They don't have to, they choose to. There is no requirement that any book, or in particular a religious book, be used to administer the oath, and none is mentioned in the Constitution. Use of the Bible was customary for oaths, at least in the 18th and 19th centuries, and the tradition has remained. Like the swearing before court testimony.

Teddy Roosevelt and John Quincy Adams did not use a bible for the swearing in. Neither did LBJ on the plane back from Dallas after Kennedy was killed.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it is fitting, for as much as I admire Lincoln's accomplishments and especially his resolve during the Civil War, in fact he would be what we call today a racist. Sorry not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but for all of his good at least for me it has to also be mentioned that he did not believe Blacks were equal to Whites, nor that they should intermingle with each other.

So in that sense, it would be a great irony that he would use Lincoln's bible to swear in.

It still irks me that Bush chose Kennedy's oval office..

Who knows! America is full of contradictions from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    With all of these things that Obama's doing that Lincoln did I hope his presidency doesn't end the way Lincoln's did.

The sad part is I work with some people who swore that he would take the oath on the Qur'an.
    And its funny, because there is nothing wrong with that. There is no law that forbids a Muslim to take office.

Sorry not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but for all of his good at least for me it has to also be mentioned that he did not believe Blacks were equal to Whites
    Meh, Obama thinks the same of gays it seems. Plus ca change...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information