Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barack Obama taps Leon Panetta to head CIA

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Not necessarily. Considering how much the CIA chief has to work with the other members of the cabinet, it's not necessarily correct to assume the head of the CIA concentrates solely on intelligence matters in the day-to-day operations or is the sole function of the CIA chief. The directors underneath CIA chief, yes, but not necessarily the CIA chief. One of Tenet's problems as CIA chief is that he capitulated to Bush when CIA intelligence contradicted Bush's claims on Iraq. Tenet didn't know how to/couldn't deal with Rumsfeld & Cheney. It's a key part of the job.
    00-Huh? Former intel officials react to Panetta CIA pick | The Cable
    It's not about the day-to-day routine or interacting with the rest of the Cabinet. If you're going to run the CIA, you should have some first-hand knowledge of what the people in that organization do. How else can you effectively run a spy/intelligence organization if you've never done it a day in your life.

Look at Mike Brown, he was made the head of FEMA and had no background in crisis management, and we saw how that turned out. And that's not to say Panetta would be another Brown, but he's still a shaky choice.

Brown had no experience or exposure to anything related to the position before. Panetta does, from his years in the Clinton admin.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    It's not about the day-to-day routine or interacting with the rest of the Cabinet. If you're going to run the CIA, you should have some first-hand knowledge of what the people in that organization do. How else can you effectively run a spy/intelligence organization if you've never done it a day in your life.
    Most "spies" in the CIA do not go on into the higher echelons of management within the CIA. It's not necessarily what they're interested in, ie management. It's a totally different line of work even though it's within the same organization. I personally know of a former Senior VP at Disney who now works at the NSA in the upper management.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Look at Mike Brown, he was made the head of FEMA and had no background in crisis management, and we saw how that turned out. And that's not to say Panetta would be another Brown, but he's still a shaky choice.
    You're forgetting that 1) Panetta has intelligence experience while being Clinton's chief of staff and 2) his management experience while Director of the OMB. Brown didn't have much management experience or government experience before heading FEMA. Huge difference. Not even in the same ball park.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Brown had no experience or exposure to anything related to the position before. Panetta does, from his years in the Clinton admin.
    Mike Brown was a bad example. But being exposed to the CIA and being part of the CIA are different things, though. And the intelligence operation has probably changed since the Clinton years due to 9/11.

Most "spies" in the CIA do not go on into the higher echelons of management within the CIA. It's not necessarily what they're interested in, ie management. It's a totally different line of work even though it's within the same organization. I personally know of a former Senior VP at Disney who now works at the NSA in the upper management.

You're forgetting that 1) Panetta has intelligence experience while being Clinton's chief of staff and 2) his management experience while Director of the OMB. Brown didn't have much management experience or government experience before heading FEMA. Huge difference. Not even in the same ball park.
    While most spies may not go into the higher echelons, usually the CIA directors have some lengthy military and/or intelligence background. Panetta was in the Army for 2 years back in the 60's. And being a Chief of Staff to a president in the 90's doesn't automatically mean you're ready to run the CIA in 2009.

Now, I'm not saying Panetta will be a horrible director, I'm just saying it would've made more sense to pick someone with more of a military and/or an intelligence background since you have two wars going on and the 'war on terrorism.'

the 'or what' (9/11) has already happened though. When you hit bottom like that, the only way to go is up (without shredding the constitution).

Yeah, I agree that you want somebody who won't shred the Constitution, but that starts with the White House. I wouldn't have a problem with Panetta being the CIA Director during a time of relative peace, but with two wars going on and Al-Queda on the move I just think a director with more military and/or intelligence training would be a better pick since that's going to be a key focus of his job.

Panetta was on the Iraq Study Group. Besides, there's a reason why we place civilians in charge of the military.

I will be glad when this thread dies. I am tired of reading "Barack Obama taps"

^^That's a bad image, Sweetie.

Panetta was on the Iraq Study Group. Besides, there's a reason why we place civilians in charge of the military.
    While that's good, I'm standing by my original point that the CIA Director should have more of a military and/or an intelligence background at this particular time. But I hope Panetta works out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information