Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama starts the first day with a little Rahm Emmanuel

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I don't think white people are oppressed people. Though I can tell you, as a white person, I haven't oppressed a motherfucker. And I get sick of all white people being lumped into the same category. I'm 35 years old, I never owned a slave, I never went to a segregated school, I never drank from a "whites only" water fountain, I didn't kill Martin Luther King Jr, Malcolm X, I didn't try to force Rosa Parks out of a seat on a bus & I get damn tired of being "the man" when I fucking well am not!
    When your country is built on the backs of slaves during colonization, constitutionally enforced for nearly 200 years more, it takes a long while to erase the stain.

Imagine Hitler's policy of enslaving Jews and Slavs to work for the Master Race carried out for hundreds of years, using the excuse that an empire needs free labor to build and sustain. Yep, that was us.

You may not have personally participated, but you've enjoyed the results.

That said, I'm looking forward to this new chapter for African Americans. Suddenly, the long over-wrought litany of complaint is going to feel so...old, passe...even stupid? A standard bit for black comedians and rappers has vanished, it's GONE. Now they have to opportunity to be wise rather than whiny.

I'm so excited. For the first time in my adult life I feel something truly historic has happened through the will of people (not through the actions of war or terrorism.) For the first time, I don't have to apologize for feeling damn proud of my country.

A corner has been turned...

A lot of blacks have also enjoyed the results. I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that if you're white you have everything handed to you. This is a new generation and I'm not taking blame and neither is my son.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post

A lot of blacks have also enjoyed the results.
    Only since 1964 have blacks had right to enjoy the same citizenship as whites.

Are we healing? Sure. Especially now.

I don't think it benefits any US child to ignore the basic inequalities and injustices that turned our country into a superpower. Every kid should be aware that we made a very, very bad decision in 1776, no matter how great the economic power slavery built.

Sorry, but I have other things in this day to concern myself with. The economy is shit people are being forced out of their homes... and this shit is still being forced down our throats. I'm moving on but if you want to stay in the past that is your choice.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by theplotterist View Post
    When your country is built on the backs of slaves during colonization, constitutionally enforced for nearly 200 years more, it takes a long while to erase the stain.

Imagine Hitler's policy of enslaving Jews and Slavs to work for the Master Race carried out for hundreds of years, using the excuse that an empire needs free labor to build and sustain. Yep, that was us.

That said, I'm looking forward to this new chapter for African Americans. Suddenly, the long over-wrought litany of complaint is going to feel so...old, passe...even stupid? A standard bit for black comedians and rappers has vanished, it's GONE. Now they have to opportunity to be wise rather than whiny.

I'm so excited. For the first time in my adult life I feel something truly historic has happened through the will of people (not through the actions of war or terrorism.) For the first time, I don't have to apologize for feeling damn proud of my country.

A corner has been turned...
    How the hell have I enjoyed the results? Sorry, but constantly being labeled the man, and being preached at like I have everything handed to because of my skin color, is just plain ignorant. I work for everything I have. My father has too. He was a young, starving, farmboy that had to drop out of school in the 7th grade, because the family was starving and needed everyone that was able to work to survive. Now tell me, how the hell did he reap any benefits from Africans trading their own people to Wealthy men in the New World? Please, I would really like to know. I would also like to know why the white man is the only that takes the blame, when it has been written that their OWN PEOPLE traded them?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

People, people, settle down. We know all white people aren't racist nor all black people blame "the man" for keeping them down. Racism will never be gone from this or any other country, but we need to move forward. Let's remember our past, learn from it, but not dwell on it. That will impede our progress.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post

A lot of blacks have also enjoyed the results. I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that if you're white you have everything handed to you.This is a new generation and I'm not taking blame and neither is my son.
    You're right. It's just like those people who think that if you're black that you have everything handed to you if you cry racism. So, a lot of people, black and white, need to stop making sweeping generalizations based on their old perceptions of race.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    People, people, settle down. We know all white people aren't racist nor all black people blame "the man" for keeping them down. Racism will never be gone from this or any other country, but we need to move forward. Let's remember our past, learn from it, but not dwell on it. That will impede our progress.
    Perfect post.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    How the hell have I enjoyed the results? Sorry, but constantly being labeled the man, and being preached at like I have everything handed to because of my skin color, is just plain ignorant. I work for everything I have. My father has too. He was a young, starving, farmboy that had to drop out of school in the 7th grade, because the family was starving and needed everyone that was able to work to survive. Now tell me, how the hell did he reap any benefits from Africans trading their own people to Wealthy men in the New World? Please, I would really like to know. I would also like to know why the white man is the only that takes the blame, when it has been written that their OWN PEOPLE traded them?

Well, West Africans would not have traded without an established market. And it was largely Arabs who did the trading.

If your forefathers felt there was nothing in this country, no cities or canals or dams or public buildings or levees or cotton or tobacco, that they could use or use the products of, then I guess you have a rare history indeed. Nothing was here for them, except raw earth?

I don't know why you feel cornered into some personal guilt trip. You aren't Nathan Bedford Forest and neither am I. Still, knowing the history of our country is important, no? I don't think that "it wasn't me!" is a good excuse for not knowing how our country functions, warts and all.

^ Slave trading started in a lot of other countries before it even hit America.

Do your research, Becky.

And I don't feel cornered into shit. I just tired of ignorant ass statements like "you've enjoyed the results" when I haven't enjoyed anything.

And what kind of language is this...are you making a statement or asking a question:

If your forefathers felt there was nothing in this country, no cities or canals or dams or public buildings or levees or cotton or tobacco, that they could use or use the products of, then I guess you have a rare history indeed. Nothing was here for them, except raw earth?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

this is a nation of immigrants; few of us actually had anything to do with that whole slavery thing. i know my peasant ancestors didnt!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

White guilt apparently is gone and white defensiveness is in full force.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

i dont consider myself white either and get irked when ppl call me that. yeah its the color of my skin (im a fuckin' ghost ok! and i have green eyes) but im so much more than that and just dont relate, its not my ancestry/ethnicity imo. when ppl see me, thats what they see in l.a. growing up in oregon though, i was not a blonde hair blue eyed button-nosed kid like all the others i grew up with. its funny how where you are changes what you are.

what is race anyways? anthropologists will tell you theres no such thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    White guilt apparently is gone and white defensiveness is in full force.
    It would appear that the know-it-all syndrome is in full force too.

Oh and Weiner time is a good read.

its true sweetie; slavery is as old as time and still going on all over the world including in the US!

^ Exactly, and slavery isn't exclusive to blacks. Women have been slaves for years, too.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information