Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama says 'You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig'

Elite Member

Oh for God's sake -- it's an old expression. I've used it a bunch of times (I'm from Illinois) referring to all manner of things. Bottom line -- it means you can try to dress it up, but underneath it's the same old thing. He wasn't calling Palin a pig -- it's the idea that they are "dressing" up their ideas to sell them to the public, but underneath it's the same ol' same ol.

Jeesh.

These cries of sexism every ten seconds are really wearing thin. And Karl Rove, he needs to STFU right now. I despise that man.

Well when you have nothing to run on, this is what you talk about. You try to distract from the issues
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    All the networks hauled out videos of McCain saying the same thing about Hilary Clinton's health care plan!!
    Oh yeah, and where is the outrage and claiming he's bashing Hillary by the same people crying that Hitler Barbie was maligned by a statement that had nothing to do with her.

She's the one that compared herself and others to a 'pit bull wearing lipstick' Seems to have about as much intelligence and tact as a pit pull as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    That is an old saying, although I haven't heard it outside the south. That much is the truth.

That's is exactly what I was thinking when I heard him say it - maybe his lunch with Bill gave him some 'down home' analogies to use. As far as referring to anyone, that was taken completely out of context. Keep "spinning the black record" Potato Head Rove- BTW wonder if he and Scooter get conjugal visits.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

I am so tired of this sexist defense. The woman is running for VP of the US. If she can't stand it, then she needs to just drop out.

Names are always called and people are always attacked during election time. It's nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    That's is exactly what I was thinking when I heard him say it - maybe his lunch with Bill gave him some 'down home' analogies to use. As far as referring to anyone, that was taken completely out of context. Keep "spinning the black record" Potato Head Rove- BTW wonder if he and Scooter get conjugal visits.
    Also, that is just one variation of the expression. He isn't calling her a pig. I don't think Obama would insult an intelligent species by comparing it with Palin.

If this woman, or her party, can only point to supposed name-calling, there is definitely something amiss. She wants to be a woman in power, yet is proving to have no ability to even speak for herself or grow a backbone?

I wonder how long the deflection of attention method will work. Point the accusatory finger to distract from the facts. How utterly juvenile.

Palin digs the hole deeper every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I am so tired of this sexist defense. The woman is running for VP of the US. If she can't stand it, then she needs to just drop out.

Names are always called and people are always attacked during election time. It's nothing new.
    i agree sweetie, but if any of the opponents sink to the level of sexist or racist comments, that does make me lose respect for them. keep your insults gender/racial neutral people! it's not that hard to attack sarah or obama without indicating that you are talking about a woman or a black man. insults that talk about sarah's lipstick, hair, motherhood, etc. all attack and bring attention to the fact that she is a woman...a caribou barbie i think is what ignorant people on here call her. if people insulted obama by acknowledging anything black about him, his hair, if he is "well spoken" for a black man, it only highlights the fact that he is black. insult their stances on issues, etc, not their physical/racial charatacteristics. i'm just disgusted by the number of people and politicians who can't debate without sinking to these levels.

I call her Caribou Barbie because I have zero respect for her. She shoots animals for fun, she's ignorant, she's a religious fundamentalist, and she can't even answer even the most basic questions and has no idea what the position she's gunning for entails.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i agree sweetie, but if any of the opponents sink to the level of sexist or racist comments, that does make me lose respect for them. keep your insults gender/racial neutral people! it's not that hard to attack sarah or obama without indicating that you are talking about a woman or a black man. insults that talk about sarah's lipstick, hair, motherhood, etc. all attack and bring attention to the fact that she is a woman...a caribou barbie i think is what ignorant people on here call her. if people insulted obama by acknowledging anything black about him, his hair, if he is "well spoken" for a black man, it only highlights the fact that he is black. insult their stances on issues, etc, not their physical/racial charatacteristics. i'm just disgusted by the number of people and politicians who can't debate without sinking to these levels.
    I guess you don't like the cornball names either?

Elite Member

Lipstick on a pig is a common expression that both Obama and McCain have used in the past. So why is that if Obama says it now, he's sexist? Was Palin being racist when she made fun of Obama's community organizer past? Was McCain being sexist when he called Chelsea Clinton ugly? If this is how things are going to be played, then everyone's flippant remarks need to be exposed.

The McCain campaign is grasping at straws. Palin offers nothing of substance to their platform, so they have to hold on to the Gun-Toting Hockey Pitbull Mom with the Special Needs Baby Who Battles the Big Boys routine. What a crock.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I call her Hitler Barbie for some of her extremist views on Israel and the Jewish people, of which I am one. How is her belonging to a church that seriously believes that because most Jews are not also Christian that God sent 9/11 as judgment on them any different than the Jeremiah Wright flap that the Republicans howled about? It's not, but we're expected, TOLD, to shut up and suck it up. I don't think so. What has been said in her church re the Jews is very close to some of the opinions spouted by Hitler and the Third Reich. Dangerous philosophies.

Coming up with a negative description name for a candidate is indicative of nothing more than voter frustration.

By your own measure of "i think is what ignorant people on here call her" does that also include her public statement about Obama beating Clinton "Sambo beat the bitch"?

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot attack one candidate over various and sundry things yet expect to be given a free pass when the other candidate becomes embroiled in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Oh for God's sake -- it's an old expression. I've used it a bunch of times (I'm from Illinois) referring to all manner of things.
    It is an old expression and one McCain himself has used within the last year while talking about Hillary Clinton. I wonder if he apologized to her?

Lipstick On A Pig
    By Steve Benen

Sep 10, 2008

(Political Animal) LIPSTICK ON A PIG.... I suppose it's possible for our political discourse to get even dumber, but it's hard to imagine how.

Last October, asked about Sen. Hillary Clinton's health care plan, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was blunt. McCain said Clinton's proposal was "eerily" similar to the ill-fated plan she devised in 1993. "I think they put some lipstick on a pig," he said, "but it's still a pig." A common expression, right? McCain surely wasn't calling Clinton a pig. After all, McCain's former press secretary, Torie Clarke, wrote a book called "Lipstick on a Pig: Winning in the No-Spin Era." Elizabeth Edwards told some health journalists that McCain's health care plan was like "painting lipstick on a pig."

Tonight Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of McCain painting himself as a change agent, "You know, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig." ... "You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called 'change,'" Obama continued, "it's still gonna stink after eight years. We've had enough of the same old thing! It's time to bring about real change to Washington. And that's the choice you've got in this election."

The McCain campaign called Obama's comments "disgraceful" and demanded an apology. The campaign added that Obama, in addition to calling Palin a pig, might have also been calling John McCain a fish, which, of course, would also require an apology.

The media seems to find all of this fascinating, as if use of an old American expression, utilized by all kinds of political candidates from both parties for generations, might be some kind of sexist insult -- not when McCain used it to slam Hillary Clinton, but only when Obama used it to criticize the Republican campaign in general.

It's honestly like being stuck in a "Twilight Zone" episode in which reality has no meaning at all.

Obama campaign senior advisor Anita Dunn said, "Enough is enough The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card about the use of a common analogy – the same analogy that Senator McCain himself used about Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's health care plan just last year. This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run."
    Lipstick On A Pig, By Steve Benen - CBS News
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

In my defense, I don't mind people calling any of them names, just come up with something that sounds good. McTard, McSame and Caribou Barbie are stupid.

I do however like Hitler Barbie.

Elite Member

I've heard McCain referred to as McCainasaurus, because he's as old as a fossil. Ageist to be sure, but pretty funny!

Everybody else seems to like Caribou Barbie but you. It's also gotten traction on many blogs, so methinks it's a funny term.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information