Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama puts his foot in his mouth again!

I am an American, and I love my country. I say that because I know when I say the following people will get offended and think I am somehow anti-American, which is not true. But out of the few soundbites that I have heard of Rev. Wright, I fail to see what he is saying is so wrong. Yes, he does seem very bitter. I think people got up in arms about the "God damn America" part, but I think its been way blown out of proportion. If you read the whole thing in context, he clearly states that we always say "God bless America" when we are doing things as a nation that God clearly abhors, such as unjust wars, so how can God bless us and not damn us when we are not following his commandments? How is that so wrong? Maybe the wording was terrible, but I don't get why people are so upset? We do need to get our act together. I have terrible problems with our foreign policy and our unflinching allegiance to Israel, and if I speak out about that, I don't want someone saying I am un-American, or anti-semitic. Clearly thats just blurring the issue. Its quite the opposite. I know we can be better than what we are, and I want to promote that. And about 9/11 - I lost a friend in 9/11, and I still don't entirely disagree with his remarks. Should 9/11 never have happened? ABSOLUTELY, I wish to hell it hadn't, and if I could get my hands on those responsible I would throttle them, burn them, and worse. It was one of the worst days of my life. But if you look at the larger picture and you really start to question WHY it happened, we do bear some responsibility for the events leading up to 9/11, its the bitter (hard to swallow) truth. We have meddled in the Middle East for far too long, but the truth is we are hated for our practices there, many of which I too find unethical. And it would be one thing if we were innocent crusaders on a just hunt to fix wrongs, but we are NOT. We are indulging in things that are wrong, wrong, wrong. 9/11 happened and innocent people died, and for that there are no excuses, nothing can bring them back and the people who did it MUST PAY. There is NO REASON for innocent people to die, ever, it pains my heart. But there is some backstory here that people just neglect to acknowledge. To think we are just one hugely innocent nation that was targeted because we are trying to do right in the world, is just naive. I know that I will have to run and hide after this post, but seriously...I can't understand why some people can't see that, or even worse, treat people like they are un-American when they bring this up. If anything, I WANT American to prosper and flourish, its the land I love, and its out of love that I speak this way, because I want us to be better.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

OT, but relevant to race......have any women here ever had a black man hint that they were racist because they wouldn't date them? i have experienced that, it doesn't really offend me because i know that men will say anything when trying to get into a woman's pants, but it is an odd technique to use.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    OT, but relevant to race......have any women here ever had a black man hint that they were racist because they wouldn't date them? i have experienced that, it doesn't really offend me because i know that men will say anything when trying to get into a woman's pants, but it is an odd technique to use.
    I have, but only once. I turned down a man once and he asked me, "so you aint into brothers?" I told him, no I'm not into YOU, period. He refused to believe me though, kind of heckled me about it, but I wasn't about to sit around trying to make him believe me. You almost have to find it comical - I think it almost made him feel better to believe I was a racist than to believe there was actually any fault in him besides his skin color, I think he used that as a security blanket so he didn't have to see his real flaws. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other - assholes exist, in every size shape and color.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I've had more than one black man call me a racist because I said no to a dance. It didn't seem to matter that I turned white men down, too. I've also been called a dyke for saying no to men, as if I have to do everything people I don't even know want me to do simply because I'm a woman and they ask. It's all ridiculous and unnecessary, IMO.

I find it interesting that all of the people that keep rambling on about how Obama is a racist, continue to gloss over McCain's clearly racist comments. And to keep glossing over McCain's comments just takes the air out of any point that people are trying to make about Obama's 'racism.'

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I think his issue is that on the outside he's a black man (even if he's half white) so he will be treated as a black man by those that do not know his family history. He watched the behavior of the white side of his family (the side that raised him) and eventually he felt the need to make a choice culturally where he felt comfortable, to either be accepted as at face value as a black man or struggle with not being black or white. I believe he is very aware of race on a defensive level because of his own internal issues and experiences growing up. I don't think he is a malicious bigot but he does not have a mind free of racism and that will always get in his way until he makes some kind of friend with his harbored feelings.

My mother's best friend is Haitian she's black but her coloring is light (like Obama) with freckles and she married a very white, very pale German man. They were forced out of both white and black neighborhoods and had to actively seek out a neighborhood that was multi racial (black and white families). They have three beautiful children, 2 in college and one in high school and they were raised to be proud of their two heritages and their colors. These are exceptional children with IMHO exceptional non judgemental parents (race and religion) that have created something very wonderful in their family despite the hate they fell victim of when they first married and had their first 2 children.

I don't think it's one birth color that makes one racist - black, white, yellow and brown are all open to be prejudice towards others not like them, it's not in your blood line it's something learned from those influences closest to you in your life.
    Exactly. Racism and prejudice are not mutually exclusive to any one group.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    I know black women who have had white men use that same line on them too, if they refused to date them/sleep with them.

Yes, I get it from black men all the time. I know I don't have anything against my own race, maybe it's because I've been raised around mostly white people, but I have always been attracted to just white men. Why, I don't know. Of course I find other races attractive...but I've only REALLY been interested/dated white men.

Gold Member

I don't think it's racist to prefer to date your own race.

There was a study done on this (with relatively older and more liberal daters), and it concluded that outside of Asian women most women prefer to date men of their own race.

Single Female Seeking Same-Race Male - TierneyLab - Science - New York Times Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I find it interesting that all of the people that keep rambling on about how Obama is a racist, continue to gloss over McCain's clearly racist comments. And to keep glossing over McCain's comments just takes the air out of any point that people are trying to make about Obama's 'racism.'
    I think it's just a simple case of demographics. Obama's (alleged) brand of racism happens to apply to the majority of Americans. McCain's, however ugly, applies to foreigners and a minority of Americans. I'm not saying that makes it right, but it makes a huge difference in how much of the electorate gets up in arms, and thus how much coverage each gets.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    I think it's just a simple case of demographics. Obama's (alleged) brand of racism happens to apply to the majority of Americans. McCain's, however ugly, applies to foreigners and a minority of Americans. I'm not saying that makes it right, but it makes a huge difference in how much of the electorate gets up in arms, and thus how much coverage each gets.
    Demographics definitely plays a role. But it still doesn't make it any less hypocritical. I mean, if the media and the public are going to get up in arms about comments made by Obama's pastor, then they need to get up in arms about comments that came directly out of McCain's mouth. It doesn't matter if McCain was talking about a majority or a minority.

It would be like Obama coming out and making a racial slur about Hispanics, and black people saying it's okay, because he wasn't talking about black people.

I think in fairness, if people accept the excuses applied for Rev. Wright- he grew up under segregation, all the horrible things that the US has done to blacks, etc, don't accept the same excuses for McCain's racism then they are hypocrites. McCain had the same, if not worse treatment at the hand of a racial group than Rev. Wright.

We cannot accept it in one without accepting it in all.

Many people were quick to justify Rev. Wright's feelings. Are those same people as quick to justify it in John McCain?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I think in fairness, if people accept the excuses applied for Rev. Wright- he grew up under segregation, all the horrible things that the US has done to blacks, etc, don't accept the same excuses for McCain's racism then they are hypocrites. McCain had the same, if not worse treatment at the hand of a racial group than Rev. Wright.

We cannot accept it in one without accepting it in all.

Many people were quick to justify Rev. Wright's feelings. Are those same people as quick to justify it in John McCain?
    And there were plenty of people who were quick to justify McCain's comments because he was a POW. In fact, there were some people saying that he had 'earned' the right to hate Vietnamese people.

And there are NO excuses for being a racist. My parents and grandparents grew up under segregation, but they never preached to me about hating white people. I've experienced my fair share of racism from white people, but I don't hate white people.

Just because one segment of a race may have done you wrong, does not give you a free pass to hate the entire race. In McCain's case, if he wants to hate Vietnamese people in his heart that's his personal choice, even though it's wrong, but he can't publicly express it and be given a free pass. The same goes for Wright.

And the people who hold Obama responsible for Wright's feelings, have to be held responsible for McCain's feelings if they choose to associate themselves with him. It works both ways.

Just because one segment of a race may have done you wrong, does not give you a free pass to hate the entire race. In McCain's case, if he wants to hate Vietnamese people in his heart that's his personal choice, even though it's wrong, but he can't publicly express it and be given a free pass. The same goes for Wright.
    That's a enlightened idea. I wish I had seen more of that, instead of all the people who jumped to Wright's defense, and made excuses for his statements, disguising said excuses as a history lesson.

And the people who hold Obama responsible for Wright's feelings, have to be held responsible for McCain's feelings if they choose to associate themselves with him. It works both ways.
    I don't believe in holding Obama responsible for Wright's feelings.

But I do believe, as I have said here before, that he showed piss poor political judgement on this issue.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

That's a enlightened idea. I wish I had seen more of that, instead of all the people who jumped to Wright's defense, and made excuses for his statements, disguising said excuses as a history lesson.
    The same holds true for the people who jumped to McCain's defense.

I don't believe in holding Obama responsible for Wright's feelings.

But I do believe, as I have said here before, that he showed piss poor political judgement on this issue.
    I wasn't talking about you, since I know you're backing Hillary.

And as I've said before, I agree that Obama showed piss poor political judgement by not realizing sooner that Wright would be a political liability to him. He should have distanced himself from Wright before the campaign even started.

The same holds true for the people who jumped to McCain's defense.
    I agree

I wasn't talking about you, since I know you're backing Hillary.
    But I've also said, I'll vote Obama if he gets the nod. I know you will too, you've said so. I won't play spoiler, unlike a lot of others here have said they will.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information