Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama puts his foot in his mouth again!

Ok, Scenario for you here.

True story, this happened about a month ago. I was in a mini mall after dark. As I was heading for my car, I hear running, stomping feet behind me. I turn and see 2 black youths running toward me. Inside, I had a small panic that they were going to mug me. Then I realized that they were running for their car, which was parked a few away from mine, and they had a parent behind them. Does that make me a racist?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

True story, this happened about a month ago. I was in a mini mall after dark. As I was heading for my car, I hear running, stomping feet behind me. I turn and see 2 black youths running toward me. Inside, I had a small panic that they were going to mug me. Then I realized that they were running for their car, which was parked a few away from mine, and they had a parent behind them. Does that make me a racist?
    No, that makes you a 'typical white person'. *SIGH*

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    This was an incredibly stupid thing for him to say (or admit) considering the climate, and demonstrates how naive he is at the political game. Do we want him speaking for us on an international scale? He's just not ready.

What really gets me about this whole primary is that it's turned the focus away from the immediate issues in our country that need addressed and made it mostly about race. That issue is complicated, deep-seated, and will likely not be resolved anytime soon. Meanwhile the economy sucks and two wars go on. Anybody care about practical things like that? Ya know, the stuff a president actually has to be concerned about and able to manage on a day-to-day basis?

Or are we just going to keep talking about things that are very personal, are based on emotion, and essentially have little pragmatic value in terms of what a president actually does?
    Yes, we should keep talking about it..it shows how people really feel, how they think! This is an adult conversation that has taken 45 years to come up in public where we can talk about it, instead of hiding, whispering and looking at folks strangely!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    What really gets me about this whole primary is that it's turned the focus away from the immediate issues in our country that need addressed and made it mostly about race. That issue is complicated, deep-seated, and will likely not be resolved anytime soon. Meanwhile the economy sucks and two wars go on. Anybody care about practical things like that? Ya know, the stuff a president actually has to be concerned about and able to manage on a day-to-day basis?

Or are we just going to keep talking about things that are very personal, are based on emotion, and essentially have little pragmatic value in terms of what a president actually does?
    This is my issue with this whole dustup. Sen. Obama has made every overture to discuss this issue and put it to bed. He gave an eloquent speech trying to raise the bar and urge us to talk about the greater race issues that we all suspect underlie this issue. And the response to that speech has been to take the conversation further into the gutter. Its stupid and sad. It has turned into a witchhunt and a pissing contest. I understand the original issue but I really feel that he has answered for it and gone to every end to make sure EVERYONE has their every question and concern answered. What more do you people want?

Its time to MOVE ON and get back to the important issues facing this country. Hell, a news anchor WALKED OFF THE SET on Fox News this morning because he was disgusted at two straight hours of Obama bashing. That says ALOT.

Edit: in response to SS's comment: its time to move on IF we can't have the important race conversation that would actually be beneficial. All this tit-for-tat crap is going nowhere and turning into witchhunt.

Silver Member

We can talk about race and issues. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. However, I'm all for dropping the long, drawn-out conversations centered around comments taken out of context.

Serious question, do you think your reaction would be any different if it were two white youths?

Quote Originally Posted by purewine View Post
    We can talk about race and issues. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. However, I'm all for dropping the long, drawn-out conversations centered around comments taken out of context.

Serious question, do you think your reaction would be any different if it were two white youths?
    I dunno. I did think about that. I honestly can't say for sure. I had the heartbeat quicken, the chest tighten, the whole thing. I'm not sure what freaked me more, hearing the running footsteps, or seeing them run my direction. So I don't know if my reaction would've been based solely on race. But if someone was with me, that didn't know me, was an outsider looking in, they could have jumped to the "racist" conculsion, which is somewhat of the point I was trying to make. Just because Obama's Grandmother had the same reaction a time or two, does that inheritantly make her racist?

BTW, I used to love it when my Great Grandmother would say, "A colored family moved in down the street." I was little and thought a big box of crayons took the house over. She was born in 1914.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

The hilarious thing is that Clinton only has a small chance of winning this election, and at this late in the game her supporters and McCain's and the media are gathering to bring Obama down, which essentially will bring the whole Democratic party down, since he most likely will get the nomination at this stage in the game. How dumb Democrats are. Instead of supporting both of your candidates, you are beating one until he is down (and he is the frontrunner). Keep on doing it, shoot yourself in the foot, and then be curious as to why when a Repub wins in November. Its unbelievable. As an Independent, this whole thing baffles me. You think the Democrats would be rallying now behind their frontrunner, instead of squabbling like this. At the very least, they shouldn't be saying what an awful person Obama is for interacting with a racist - while forgetting that McCain uses racist terms HIMSELF against Asian people!!! There should be a common goal here, and thats to get a Democrat in the White House - instead, Clinton supporters are acting like Obama is now their enemy. What happened to - if Hillary doesn't win, I'll support Obama? You might want to think about where this election is going and what the odds are here. The Republicans are laughing right now at you.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Gold Member

I've been on the receiving end of conversations where the speaker complained a person only got a job because he/she was black. The idea that the person got the job because he/she was more qualified is antithetic to them. No, it's only because they're black. The unspoken implication is they couldn't possibly be qualified because they're black. White people are always more qualified; black people only advance because of their race. Not everyone white person believes this (I don't want to give the impression that's what I'm getting at), but it's certainly an existing attitude.

And I want to “ditto” crumpet's and Aella's posts. That's what I was trying to say before, but you two put it more eloquently.
    If affirmative action didn't exist, no one would ever have to wonder whether a black person got the job because they were the most qualified or because of the color of their skin. As long as we have a system of racial preferences in place, assumptions like the one your co-workers made will be commonplace.

Silver Member

I dunno. I did think about that. I honestly can't say for sure. I had the heartbeat quicken, the chest tighten, the whole thing. I'm not sure what freaked me more, hearing the running footsteps, or seeing them run my direction. So I don't know if my reaction would've been based solely on race. But if someone was with me, that didn't know me, was an outsider looking in, they could have jumped to the "racist" conculsion, which is somewhat of the point I was trying to make. Just because Obama's Grandmother had the same reaction a time or two, does that inheritantly make her racist?

I would have said yes because I don't like little punks no matter their race. Seriously though, I doubt Obama's grandmother was racist considering she helped raise her biracial grandson. You, I don't know about. I kid. Maybe instead of asking ourselves, “Does that make me racist?” we should be asking, “Why do I think/believe/feel that way?”

BTW, I used to love it when my Great Grandmother would say, "A colored family moved in down the street." I was little and thought a big box of crayons took the house over. She was born in 1914.
    That's funny.

my grandmother used to call anybody who wasnt white "the darkies" and how any shop they ran was "too dear".

I always bitched her out for that, and i was what.. 8?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Well, I didn't take any offense to what he said. There are some generally held perceptions/thoughts amongst different ethnic and racial groups. So what? Why can't we all be honest about that and admit it instead of trying to overcompensate by being so offended at every little generalization. I don't think he meant it in a racially hostile way. i would say the same thing if a white person was saying that, in general, blacks suspect whites of harboring some dormant racist beliefs. I think we all need to stop playing 'Gotcha' and taking turns being wounded.
    i agree.
    so maybe obama did generalise a little. but it's also a fact that black people do face racism every day, even in little ways. a dear family friend of mine is half black and she had to deal with it even as a kid. i remember the first time someone called her and her mother (who's whtie) a nasty name in the supermarket and now that she's 20, she still gets the odd old lady that will change seats if my friend sits next to her on the subway, or snide remarks about how she only got into a great school because of her skin colour.
    race relations and racism isn't so cut and dry that you can label someone racist or not racist. people have all sorts of subconscious prejudices they might not even be aware of, or involuntary reactions. or once in a while someone might let slip a generalisation, like obama did. it was nowhere near the same thing as when mccain said he hated all gooks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Does that make me a racist?

No, it makes you a realist with an instict for survival. There is nothing wrong with that. If those 2 guys got offended by you seeming scared, so what? Any man (of any race) should understand that they can be intimidating to a woman alone in a parking lot or other isolated area. I'd rather be safe and have some guy think I'm racist than end up raped and murdered in the trunk of a car. no one's feelings can compete with my safety.

IAnd I want to “ditto” crumpet's and Aella's posts. That's what I was trying to say before, but you two put it more eloquently.
    Same here.

Does that make me a racist?
    I don't think you're a racist, but your reaction probably was. Like I said, we live in a racist culture and it affects how we view people of different races. Kudos to you for even bothering to ask and examine your reaction because most people (of any race) don't.

No, it doesn't if I were in your situation, I'd probably do the same thing!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I think his issue is that on the outside he's a black man (even if he's half white) so he will be treated as a black man by those that do not know his family history. He watched the behavior of the white side of his family (the side that raised him) and eventually he felt the need to make a choice culturally where he felt comfortable, to either be accepted as at face value as a black man or struggle with not being black or white. I believe he is very aware of race on a defensive level because of his own internal issues and experiences growing up. I don't think he is a malicious bigot but he does not have a mind free of racism and that will always get in his way until he makes some kind of friend with his harbored feelings.

My mother's best friend is Haitian she's black but her coloring is light (like Obama) with freckles and she married a very white, very pale German man. They were forced out of both white and black neighborhoods and had to actively seek out a neighborhood that was multi racial (black and white families). They have three beautiful children, 2 in college and one in high school and they were raised to be proud of their two heritages and their colors. These are exceptional children with IMHO exceptional non judgemental parents (race and religion) that have created something very wonderful in their family despite the hate they fell victim of when they first married and had their first 2 children.

I don't think it's one birth color that makes one racist - black, white, yellow and brown are all open to be prejudice towards others not like them, it's not in your blood line it's something learned from those influences closest to you in your life.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information