Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama puts his foot in his mouth again!

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    I think you're being divisive. There has to be some honest dialog between people or nothing will ever get done. Everyone (you too) has to be honest about their feelings, experiences and viewpoints without arguing all the time.

I can see how his comments can hurt, but it helps more to consider where they come from and framing responses around that. Give people of color some credit sometimes. There is some merit to what he is saying. We do live in a racist culture. We do live in a society that overall values the white race over other races. I don't believe that every white person is racist, but I do believe that overall culture has an affect on white people like it does all of us. I also believe that larger racist culture affacts not only the way we view each other, but ourselves.
    We live in a culture that promotes and makes excuses for present day racism against whites in an attempt to make up for past racism against blacks. Neither one is acceptable.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Actually, we don't know that's what he was TRYING to say. All we know is what he actually did say, which was a generalization about an entire race (and sex). Sure, he can make excuses later, but they don't change what was actually said.
    Then I think you're being dishonest or you didn't watch/read his speech. Anyone who did would know what he meant by the context.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    We live in a culture that promotes and makes excuses for present day racism against whites in an attempt to make up for past racism against blacks. Neither one is acceptable.
    I don't disagree with you, but it's a bit more complex than that. I don't benefit from my skin color (or my gender for that matter) the way some people might think. Even if I did, I always lack the one thing white people or men so often have: legitimacy. I am not considered valid. I live in a culture that tells me that nothing I say, do or think is good enough. That anything I achieve is not because of my hard work or talent. It's the result of my race and/or gender. Reverse racism is a concept largely built around the idea that I couldn't be good enough, even when I am. I don't know many white people have spent their entire lives hearing that they're not good enough for a job, a school or whatever because they are white. I know lots of white women who have experienced that very thing because of their gender, but I can't think of any who have to fight for their racial validation.

If you are really interested in fighting against racism, there are lots of books, blogs and resource websites out there written by anti-racist white people. IMO, that's a good first step: listening to other white people about fighting against racism for EVERYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by purewine View Post
    Then I think you're being dishonest or you didn't watch/read his speech. Anyone who did would know what he meant by the context.
    Don't you mean anyone who isn't an Obama supporter? Let's face it. A great deal of Americans who saw, read or listened to his speech did not 'get' the context- including Hillary supporters, McCain supporters, journalists, and yes, even some Obama supporters.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    In an interview with sports radio 610 WIP in Philly early this morning, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, said "the point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn't. But she is a typical white person, who, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know, well there's a reaction that's in our experiences that won't go away and can sometimes come out in the wrong way. And that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it."
    So the typical white person is racist, or at least harbors racist fears of blacks?

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle
    I agree. I don't understand why people are trying to give Obama a pass for belonging to a racist church. Can you imagine if Hillary belonged to a racist church? It would be the end of her campaign. She'd be forced to quit the Presidential race. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson wouldn't ever let anyone ever forget about it, and how "racist" white America still is.

There is such a racial double standard in this country. The Duke Lacrosse scandal never would have been national news had 3 black men supposedly raped a white stripper. Heck, there never would have been a case, since the DA would have been focused on the fact that there was no evidence rather than bending over backwards to be politically correct.

We teach black kids to be proud of their heritage. We teach white kids to feel ashamed about being white. I don't even like sending my kids to the public school system, because I know they are indoctrinating them with this white guilt.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Just what is a typical white person? I find that comment offensive. Is Obama a typical mulatto?

Something tells me if McCain or Hillary said "typical black person" many Obama supporters would be hysterical right now.

I'm really frustrated with the posts in this section. What are you all not voicing thats bothering you, Tdk, southernbelle, NYCgirlie? I ask that honestly and respectfully. What is it that's getting you so worked up about Obama that you are on high-alert for some sinister plot?

There's something you all are not saying, I dont know what it is. But please put it out there so we can have a real political discussion. Not all this quibbling over one word and reading into other facts and all the other nonsense that's been flying all over this board lately.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not worked up at all actually. I was just making an observation. If Hillary Clinton or McCain had made comments about "typical black people" they would be getting vilified in the media and Obama supporters would be pissed (as they should be). I don't see why it shouldn't work both ways. I think the "typical white person" comment is a bit ignorant. He basically implied that all whites are somewhat racist and cross streets in fear when they see black people. Wonder if all the whites who voted for him are slightly offended by that?
    Last edited by nycgirl; March 20th, 2008 at 08:06 PM.

It's interesting how Obama supporters get so worked up when THEIR candidate comes in for a small taste of the drubbing Hillary's been getting for most of her political career, but particularly in the past few months from THEM. Somehow when they're voicing distortions of comments/faux issues it's all justified because she is the devil incarnate or some nonsense. Turnabout is fair play, lol.

Silver Member

Don't you mean anyone who isn't an Obama supporter? Let's face it. A great deal of Americans who saw, read or listened to his speech did not 'get' the context- including Hillary supporters, McCain supporters, journalists, and yes, even some Obama supporters.
    No, I mean anyone who would quibble over three missing words. It's intellectually dishonest to pretend you didn't know what he was talking about because he didn't include "in her generation." Most people did get the context, but if you didn't maybe you should ask someone to explain it to you instead of taking his words out of context and twisting them around to suit your agenda.

I understand exactly what he's talking about. Most white people I know (myself included) do harbor a racist thought or two. It doesn't necessarily make them racists or bad people - it's just reality. I'm actually glad somebody finally admitted. Let's be honest here, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has some prejudice view of some sort or another. As long as people get judged for admitting that, we are never go to be able to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    I'm really frustrated with the posts in this section. What are you all not voicing thats bothering you, Tdk, southernbelle, NYCgirlie? I ask that honestly and respectfully. What is it that's getting you so worked up about Obama that you are on high-alert for some sinister plot?

There's something you all are not saying, I dont know what it is. But please put it out there so we can have a real political discussion. Not all this quibbling over one word and reading into other facts and all the other nonsense that's been flying all over this board lately.
    I've already voice my peeve- Obama is getting a free pass on things that others would be crucified for.

^^Yep.

I don't see Obama getting a free pass at all - in fact, people over here feel like he's absolutely getting raked over the coals. Like a friend of mine said, man they are going to beat this to death, aren't they? Yep, I told her, sadly thats true. The McCain and Clinton supporters have latched onto this and won't let go, they have their teeth in it now. I think its all silly, personally, and I would say the same if this happened to Clinton or McCain. When Clinton's senior advisor was busted for DUI a few months ago, I shrugged, even though I'm not a Clinton supporter. I certainly wouldn't say it discouraged me from voting for her, thats ridiculous, even though I hate people who drink and drive as much as the next guy. I'm sure she doesn't think drinking while driving is great. His sins don't rub off on her. Just because this guy has some weird views doesn't mean a thing to me regarding Obama, honestly. I'm a white person and I thought he gave a good speech, but then I'm not hypersensitive when it comes to words. I think all of this crap and the divisiveness in the Democratic party is just going to mean that more and more people are going to start flocking to McCain. Basically the Democrats and all their fear-mongering, false accusations, race baiting and the like are just putting their party in a terrible light. Everyone loses here. Personally I'm sick of all of it. I'm not going to base who I vote for on some dumbass lame propaganda put out there, as much as other people try to convince me that it matters.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I've already voice my peeve- Obama is getting a free pass on things that others would be crucified for.
    I totally agree. That's my biggest problem. The double standard is infuriating.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information