Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama is The One

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Actually, blacks were given the right to vote long before women were.
    Like we could actually vote.

Yes, 'the blacks' [men that is] were given the 'right to vote' half a century before women -- but do you actually think they really got to vote? They prevented in every way for blacks to even cast that ballot, forget about it -- it didn't mean anything. So in essence, [white] women had the right to vote before black men (and that leaves black women to be the very last) during the civil rights movement, circa mid 60s.
    Last edited by bychance; August 8th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Actually, blacks were given the right to vote long before women were.
    Women were officially given the right to vote in 1920. Black people were officially giving the right to vote in 1965.

I know that there were people trying to stop blacks from voting even though it became the law. But, even in the House of Representatives the first black was elected to that position in 1870. The first woman wasn't until 50 years later. The first black supreme court justice was selected almost 25 years before the first woman justice.

The point being that women have always been the most oppressed group in this country.

I know that there were people trying to stop blacks from voting even though it became the law. But, even in the House of Representatives the first black was elected to that position in 1870. The first woman wasn't until 50 years later. The first black supreme court justice was selected almost 25 years before the first woman justice.

The point being that women have always been the most oppressed group in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Women were officially given the right to vote in 1920. Black people were officially giving the right to vote in 1965.

Amendment XV (the Fifteenth Amendment) of the United States Constitution provides that governments in the United States may not prevent a citizen from voting based on that citizen's race, color, or previous condition of servitude (i.e. slavery). It was ratified on February 3, 1870.

I know that in reality, many were prevented from voting. But the government recognized that black males had the right to vote long before women were given the same consideration.

Tell that to the Native Americans, who were virtually wiped out.

And why is it that whenever a topic of race comes up people want to turn it into a 'who suffered more' contest, be it blacks, women, gays, jews, etc? There's no prize or gold medal given for 'who was oppressed more.'

Amendment XV (the Fifteenth Amendment) of the United States Constitution provides that governments in the United States may not prevent a citizen from voting based on that citizen's race, color, or previous condition of servitude (i.e. slavery). It was ratified on February 3, 1870.

I know that in reality, many were prevented from voting. But the government recognized that black males had the right to vote long before women were given the same consideration.
    Yeah, the same government that then tried to kill blacks if they used that right to vote. Which is why women actually had to the full right to vote before blacks, because they didn't have to worry about being harassed or killed if they went to the voting booth.
    Last edited by kingcap72; August 8th, 2008 at 01:47 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This thing WON'T DIE!!!!!!!!!

^^Just when you thought it was safe it comes back to life.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Being a women there is a huge difference between our "oppression" and the blacks. Give me a break. At least we weren't treated poorly. We were treated like precious children. I'll take that over being beaten and raped any day. I know some women were beaten, raped, etc. but it was not the norm
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Tell that to the Native Americans, who were virtually wiped out.

And why is it that whenever a topic of race comes up people want to turn it into a 'who suffered more' contest, be it blacks, women, gays, jews, etc? There's no prize or gold medal given for 'who was oppressed more.'

Yeah, the same government that then tried to kill blacks if they used that right to vote. Which is why women actually had to the full right to vote before blacks, because they didn't have to worry about being harassed or killed if they went to the voting booth.
    Now who is trying to turn it into "who suffered more?" Okay, okay, you win. No one in the history of the world has suffered as much as the black race. I concede. Women, jews, gays, people tortured and murdered because of their religion and anyone else who had to flee their homeland or face execution actually had it easy and are just a bunch of whiners. Next time my grandmother starts with one of her stories of their flight from the "old" country, I will slap her and tell her she should be ashamed of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Being a women there is a huge difference between our "oppression" and the blacks. Give me a break. At least we weren't treated poorly. We were treated like precious children. I'll take that over being beaten and raped any day. I know some women were beaten, raped, etc. but it was not the norm
    Not all slaves were treated poorly or beaten and raped everyday either. But, being owned by another is still horrible, even if you are treated kindly. Slavery was an evil part of our country's history and I am not trying to argue that it wasn't.

But, you have to concede that women, while not slaves, were definitely in a type of servitude when they married. They could not own property, vote, have money of their own. All their possessions became their husbands. Husband's could beat their wives with no fear of being prosecuted.

I think that attitude still carries over today. Women are paid less then men, are called "bitch" if they are strong and are held to a double standard.

Not all slaves were treated poorly or beaten and raped everyday either. But, being owned by another is still horrible, even if you are treated kindly. Slavery was an evil part of our country's history and I am not trying to argue that it wasn't.

But, you have to concede that women, while not slaves, were definitely in a type of servitude when they married. They could not own property, vote, have money of their own. All their possessions became their husbands. Husband's could beat their wives with no fear of being prosecuted.

I think that attitude still carries over today. Women are paid less then men, are called "bitch" if they are strong and are held to a double standard.
    If I am not mistaken, majority of these women wanted to get married. Slaves were possessions, we had no say. Slaves were beat and mistreated, and no one gave a damn. Female slaves were rapped and made to bear the children of their slave owners. Slaves weren't allowed to marry, and if they had a family unit, they were often sold to other plantations to never have contact with their families ever again.
    I am so sick of this crap about how women are called bitches being the be all, end all to the fact that they suffered. Here is a tissue, because I'll take being called a bitch any day over being called a Nigger!! Especially, by another woman who is suppose to all submissive and dainty!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I guess we should all get a tissue and ignore the fact that women are still paid less than their male counterparts with similar qualifications and education, then.

This is not a contest over who has suffered the most throughout history, but honestly, just because one group (african americans) suffered horribly doesn't mean that another groups inequality is irrelevant or OK.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I guess we should all get a tissue and ignore the fact that women are still paid less than their male counterparts with similar qualifications and education, then.

This is not a contest over who has suffered the most throughout history, but honestly, just because one group (african americans) suffered horribly doesn't mean that another groups inequality is irrelevant or OK.
    True, but you forget that the majority of black women still get treated worse than anyone else. I am not trying to play the who suffers more card, but that's just the fact. All black women aren't Oprah!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Now who is trying to turn it into "who suffered more?" Okay, okay, you win. No one in the history of the world has suffered as much as the black race. I concede. Women, jews, gays, people tortured and murdered because of their religion and anyone else who had to flee their homeland or face execution actually had it easy and are just a bunch of whiners. Next time my grandmother starts with one of her stories of their flight from the "old" country, I will slap her and tell her she should be ashamed of herself.
    Do you even know what you're talking about? You know what? If you need to twist my words to make yourself feel better, then so be it. I don't have time for nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post

At what point did anybody say, or imply, that what black people went through makes what women or any other group went through irrelevant? I know I didn't say it, and I don't recall anybody trying to make that point either.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information