Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Barack Obama is not marching with black pride

  1. #16
    Elite Member tkdgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Too bad. I miss debating politics with you.

    And I'm doing okay. How about you?
    Oh hanging in there. Still looking for a job but I have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding a job in Michigan.

    A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

  2. #17
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    June marks 'Juneteenth' which is a celebration of the end of slavery. There are going to be many black pride parades all over the country that won't have Obama marching in them. So, why is this parade any different?
    Imagine the security nightmare of having a President in a parade.

    Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    This is generalizations...because I have family members who attend Pentecostal churches, and they have LGBT outreaches, coming out counseling, and testing etc... So just because some antiquated 'doctrine' say's this, it doesn't mean that all Pentecostal Churches follow it!!!
    Yes, I am aware that it's a generalization. Which is why I stated 'in general'. Of course not all Pentecostals believe that, just as all Catholics don't oppose abortion (even though that is church doctrine).



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  3. #18
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Imagine the security nightmare of having a President in a parade.



    Yes, I am aware that it's a generalization. Which is why I stated 'in general'. Of course not all Pentecostals believe that, just as all Catholics don't oppose abortion (even though that is church doctrine).
    Exactly. The only parade a sitting president should ever be in is the inauguration parade.

    Plus, the media has finally gotten away from constantly calling him 'the first black president.' If he marched in a black pride parade that would start up all over again. And seeing as how Obama has tried not to make his race a major talking point why would anybody expect him to march in a black pride parade anyway?

  4. #19
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Imagine the security nightmare of having a President in a parade.

    Yeah. That would NOT be good.

  5. #20
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    34,697

    Default

    It's not like Kennedy or Clinton marched in the St. Patricks Day parade.

    Surely the Pres has much more important things to do.



    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  6. #21
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,762

    Default

    Obama Proclaims June 2009, LGBT Pride Month.
    From the White House:
    LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, AND TRANSGENDER PRIDE MONTH, 2009

    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    A PROCLAMATION
    Forty years ago, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall Inn in New York City resisted police harassment that had become all too common for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Out of this resistance, the LGBT rights movement in America was born. During LGBT Pride Month, we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.

    LGBT Americans have made, and continue to make, great and lasting contributions that continue to strengthen the fabric of American society. There are many well-respected LGBT leaders in all professional fields, including the arts and business communities. LGBT Americans also mobilized the Nation to respond to the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic and have played a vital role in broadening this country’s response to the HIV pandemic.

    Due in no small part to the determination and dedication of the LGBT rights movement, more LGBT Americans are living their lives openly today than ever before. I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration. These individuals embody the best qualities we seek in public servants, and across my Administration — in both the White House and the Federal agencies — openly LGBT employees are doing their jobs with distinction and professionalism.

    The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and respect.

    My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the number of HIV infections and providing care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.

    These issues affect not only the LGBT community, but also our entire Nation. As long as the promise of equality for all remains unfulfilled, all Americans are affected. If we can work together to advance the principles upon which our Nation was founded, every American will benefit. During LGBT Pride Month, I call upon the LGBT community, the Congress, and the American people to work together to promote equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

    NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.


    IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.


    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  7. #22
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,591

    Default

    Why is Obama expected to march in anything? Why are black gays upset that a white gay person was chosen to speak? Does it matter, as long as the gay community is being represented? Black homophobia? I didn't know it came in different hues. Exactly how is Obama supposed to make a dent in this so-called "black homophobia"? Also, I didn't know there was only one black church.

    Let's see what complaints rise up next and what internal bigotry rears its ugly head. If the gay community has hate bubbling within, what do you expect to come from the outside?



  8. #23
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Erm, given that it was a black lesbian who wrote the article she's probably pretty well versed on what differences gay and lesbian blacks face from within and without the community.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  9. #24
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,591

    Default

    I did note it was written by a black lesbian, tyvm. Obviously. The pic gave it away. The issue with a gay white male representing the gay community was another indicator. Back to the prior point, if there is bigotry within the gay community itself, how can you expect the country as a whole to have open arms?



  10. #25
    Silver Member LastLook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote kingcap72

    Plus, the media has finally gotten away from constantly calling him 'the first black president.'

    A little off-topic, but I think that is a definite step forward in equality. Let's just look at him as a man, as he is. "Oh he happens to be black? So?"
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

  11. #26
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I did note it was written by a black lesbian, tyvm. Obviously. The pic gave it away. The issue with a gay white male representing the gay community was another indicator. Back to the prior point, if there is bigotry within the gay community itself, how can you expect the country as a whole to have open arms?
    That's a silly argument, every group will have some kind of bigotry. No group is expected to make itself perfect before asking everybody else to accept it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  12. #27
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,591

    Default

    Silly is the gay community bringing two irrelevant issues up as problems when they are making progress. Obama could have pandered to the right and ignored the group as a whole.

    Your attempt to trivialize an example of the lack of cohesion amongst a group supposedly fighting for the same thing is both silly and pitiful. A gay man makes a huge step and then racial differences are brought up? Isn't that a step for the whole gay community, which should not be downplayed due to race? How ignorant to complain about a gay representative due to his race or gender, which should be non issues in this instance.



  13. #28
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    What huge step? All he did was damage control, and obvious damage control at that. He tried to have it both ways and failed miserably.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  14. #29
    Elite Member bychance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,299

    Default

    One of our biggest obstacles in the African American community has been and continues to be the Black Church. Obama wooed black homophobic ministers to win black evangelicals voters during his campaign bid.
    Does this so called 'African American community' not includes us non African American black people?

    God I hate that term.

    Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    Quote kingcap72

    Plus, the media has finally gotten away from constantly calling him 'the first black president.'

    A little off-topic, but I think that is a definite step forward in equality. Let's just look at him as a man, as he is. "Oh he happens to be black? So?"
    I disagree to an extent. Its still joyous that the United States of America, a former country built of African slaves (and only up until fairly recently received civil rights) has elected a Black president.

    However, I think the real reason that the media has gotten over from constantly calling him 'the first black president' is because he is well...the president now. Just go to Wikipedia. I've made several screen shots. It keeps going back and forth between 'first african american president' to 'first multiracial president'. Its quite humorous, actually. I can only imagine the moderators fighting over which one is correct.
    Last edited by bychance; June 12th, 2009 at 02:55 AM.

  15. #30
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    I disagree to an extent. Its still joyous that the United States of America, a former country of African slaves and only up until fairly recently received civil rights has elected a Black president.

    However, I think the real reason that the media has gotten over from constantly calling him 'the first black president' is because well...the president now. Just go to Wikipedia. I've made several screen shots. It keeps going back and forth between 'first african american president' to 'first multiracial president'. Its quite humorous, actually. I can only imagine the moderators fighting over which one is correct.
    Nobody's saying that Obama's historic rise to the White House is an event that shouldn't be celebrated or honored. But the fact is his race is secondary to the job he has to do, because taking care of the economy, the wars, etc are a higher priority than focusing on his race.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Joe Biden: Elect Barack Obama because he's black
    By Incognito in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 17th, 2008, 09:20 AM
  2. Barack Obama giving some black Republicans 'heartburn'
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: September 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
  3. Barack Obama on energy: Republicans take pride in being ignorant
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 7th, 2008, 06:59 AM
  4. Black conservatives conflicted on Barack Obama campaign
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 15th, 2008, 10:00 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •