Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama leaving campaign trail to visit with sick grandmother

Pretty sure the context of her life is missing. He outed her as a product of her time in order to illustrate a point.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't care whether he said that she's a racist or that she clips her toenails in bed. He exposed to the whole planet something personal about the woman that doesn't put her in a good light. Where I'm from, you don't do that to the people who raised you and loved you

And Obama's implication is clear. He can't disown Wright for the crap he has said and done anymore that he can disown his gran for the crap she has said and done. And considering the shit Wright has said, that was a pretty fucked up analogy

Oh puhleaze! If I could only count the times my son has bitched about my mother, said she was nuts, etc. and vice versa, I'd be a millionaire, maybe even billionaire. BUT that does not mean they do not really love each other deeply. We all say and do things (particularly when we are younger) to our loved ones when we are angry and if you can't admit that then I will call you out as bullshit. My mom hated my son's dad saying I should have never married him in the first place and what a bastard he is and my son is at times just like him, yet she does not wish he were never born or her grandson. All families aren't perfect and some are more honest with each other than others but that does not mean they do not love or care about one another. She loves my other kids, but this son is her favorite as she is his and nothing will change that even smart ass comments and derogatory remarks they make to each other. At least they can say how they feel, keep loving each other, and move on - without spending half their lives in therapy because they can't be honest with those they love.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

he wasn't even angry fior gods sake. it was AN ILLUSTRATION. It had no malice.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he wasn't even angry fior gods sake. it was AN ILLUSTRATION. It had no malice.

I hear ya, but I cannot stand these people that pretend everyone gets along with one another constantly and adores everything someone in their family says. Sorry I got on the soapbox but that made me angry to insinuate he was debasing a woman he loved like a mother and was filled with gratitude for all she has done for him.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Nobody likes what their family says LOL

Still, i fail to see how illustrating a point with how she actually is, facing reality and doing it without malice, is somehow a bad thing

Hell my grandmother called people 'Darkies', but hung around with a hilariously diverse group.. and the 'darkies' had their own words for old white people.

products of their time.

I don't care whether he said that she's a racist or that she clips her toenails in bed. He exposed to the whole planet something personal about the woman that doesn't put her in a good light. Where I'm from, you don't do that to the people who raised you and loved you

And Obama's implication is clear. He can't disown Wright for the crap he has said and done anymore that he can disown his gran for the crap she has said and done. And considering the shit Wright has said, that was a pretty fucked up analogy
    And Obama did disown Wright after he kept shooting his mouth off.

And as for the comment he made about his grandmother, he didn't cast her as the devil or a gun-toting racist. And maybe instead of bashing what Obama said you should look at it from his standpoint. How would you feel if you're half-black and the grandmother that you love is using racial terms that make you cringe. The fact that he still credits her with shaping him into the man he is, and he takes time from his campaign to be with her on her deathbed means he got over it. Maybe you should get over it, too.

First of all, I won't get over it, thank you very much. Second of all, I see that I'm outnumbered so I won't go on. Not good for my blood pressure. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I just believe that family is sacred and I would never do something like that.

First of all, I won't get over it, thank you very much. Second of all, I see that I'm outnumbered so I won't go on. Not good for my blood pressure. Maybe it's a cultural thing. I just believe that family is sacred and I would never do something like that.
    Family is sacred. But that doesn't mean that you can't disagree with them publicly. I'll admit, Obama used a poor choice of words when he called her a 'typical white person' but that doesn't mean he was being disloyal to his family. If he was being disloyal to his grandmother, he would've shut her out of his life and never acknowledged all of the good things she did for him.

Silver Member

The fox news posters are mean as hell. It's no wonder they glorify people that are rotten like Hannity. Well as the saying goes, birds of a feather,yes they are rotten to the core with no sympathy even when someone's grandmother is gravely ill.

That mentality is exactly what allows physical and sexual abuse to continue in families generation after generation. The family is sacred and all dirty laundry must stay within the family.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    That mentality is exactly what allows physical and sexual abuse to continue in families generation after generation. The family is sacred and all dirty laundry must stay within the family.
    I come from a hard working middle class white family from the great Northwest - NOT New Hamshire. Both my parents served in WWII and worked hard to help send us all to college. Church and love were a part of our daily lives as were arguing and saying what we felt instead of brooding and going behind one another's backs. Dad's word was final and mom ruled the roost - still does. We were taught that we were as good as everyone else and everyone else was just as good as us. Racism and intolerance of people who were different was not acceptable. Just exactly what culture are you from that is so different to how many of us boomers were raised?

Elite Member

Default Re

I'm guessing that a biracial person such as Obama gets to see a different perspective than most of us.

There are varying degrees of racism, fear, intolerance, ignorance, etc. out there and I imagine he knows that and has seen it firsthand.

My maternal grandmother was a total bigot and hated blacks, Jews, and Catholics.

My paternal grandmother was kind of country and was a person of her time. She used the n-word because she didn't know any better...But she wasn't a hater. Once when my sister was in the car with her they drove by a white man beating up an elderly black man. My grandmother stopped the car and wasted no time pulling him off the old black guy and yelling at him. And yeah, she stopped saying the n-word because my dad made her, but there was never anything but goodness in her heart. She just didn't know any better.

It's a journey, a lifelong journey, ya know? It was probably an adjustment for O's grandparents when their daughter married a black man, but they made the adjustment and they helped raise him to be this great person.

I think he was attempting to be realistic about the struggles we still have in the US about race, but I don't think he meant his grandparents were racists.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I'm guessing that a biracial person such as Obama gets to see a different perspective than most of us.

There are varying degrees of racism, fear, intolerance, ignorance, etc. out there and I imagine he knows that and has seen it firsthand.

My maternal grandmother was a total bigot and hated blacks, Jews, and Catholics.

My paternal grandmother was kind of country and was a person of her time. She used the n-word because she didn't know any better...But she wasn't a hater. Once when my sister was in the car with her they drove by a white man beating up an elderly black man. My grandmother stopped the car and wasted no time pulling him off the old black guy and yelling at him. And yeah, she stopped saying the n-word because my dad made her, but there was never anything but goodness in her heart. She just didn't know any better.

It's a journey, a lifelong journey, ya know? It was probably an adjustment for O's grandparents when their daughter married a black man, but they made the adjustment and they helped raise him to be this great person.

I think he was attempting to be realistic about the struggles we still have in the US about race, but I don't think he meant his grandparents were racists.
    Exactly. Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    I come from a hard working middle class white family from the great Northwest - NOT New Hamshire. Both my parents served in WWII and worked hard to help send us all to college. Church and love were a part of our daily lives as were arguing and saying what we felt instead of brooding and going behind one another's backs. Dad's word was final and mom ruled the roost - still does. We were taught that we were as good as everyone else and everyone else was just as good as us. Racism and intolerance of people who were different was not acceptable. Just exactly what culture are you from that is so different to how many of us boomers were raised?
    I think you misunderstood my intent. I was pointing out that the mentality that family sacred and dirty laundry must stay in the family allows for abuse. I see nothing wrong with Obama said about his grandmother. I may point out that certain members of my family have different values. That does not mean I am selling them out or being disrespectful. Curious though - what does New Hampshire have to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by candy27 View Post
    The fox news posters are mean as hell. It's no wonder they glorify people that are rotten like Hannity. Well as the saying goes, birds of a feather,yes they are rotten to the core with no sympathy even when someone's grandmother is gravely ill.
    Exactly! If your first reaction to news that someone's relative is feeling ill and all you can talk about is 'far right' talking points and completely ignore the story you're a fucked up human being.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information