Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama leaving campaign trail to visit with sick grandmother

Every time his birth certificate is posted, they claim its a fake.

Republicans are full of shit. Because if Obama had decided NOT to take a few days off to go see his sick grandmother they'd be ripping him for it. They'd be saying that all he cares about is the presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    But Nicole! It's all because some right wing blogger nutjob who hasn't read or understood the constitution filed some pointless suit in Hawaii in order to PROVE that Obama isn't able to be prez because he's some foreigner type dude. Don't you get it? We've been scammed, doggonit.

Well butter my ass and call me biscuit! We've done been owned!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Shucks...you took the dang words straight outta my pie hole.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Sending good thoughts to Barack and his Grandma "Toot."

I hope she lives to see him president.

But I still think that outing her as a racist, calling her a typical white person and equating her behaviours to those of that nutcase Wright were very low things to do.

I don't agree. She was a typical white person in that she would react a certain way to certain people on teh street. It's not surprising she was like this, she was a product of her era, no matter how enlightened she was. And he didn't 'out' her, he told his story and this was part of it.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I don't agree. She was a typical white person in that she would react a certain way to certain people on teh street. It's not surprising she was like this, she was a product of her era, no matter how enlightened she was. And he didn't 'out' her, he told his story and this was part of it.
    Exactly. And if anybody had a right to speak about this, it's Obama because he LIVED it and observed it first hand. If his first hand experience is dismissed then nobody else's critical comments are acceptable on this topic for they haven't walked in his shoes with the same people during the same circumstances.
    Last edited by HWBL; October 21st, 2008 at 03:16 AM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Here's what he said. The whole speech, with both video and the transcript, is at the link should you want to put it all into context:

And this helps explain, perhaps, my relationship with Reverend Wright. As imperfect as he may be, he has been like family to me. He strengthened my faith, officiated my wedding, and baptized my children. Not once in my conversations with him have I heard him talk about any ethnic group in derogatory terms, or treat whites with whom he interacted with anything but courtesy and respect. He contains within him the contradictions - the good and the bad - of the community that he has served diligently for so many years.

I can no more disown him than I can disown the black community. I can no more disown him than I can my white grandmother - a woman who helped raise me, a woman who sacrificed again and again for me, a woman who loves me as much as she loves anything in this world, but a woman who once confessed her fear of black men who passed by her on the street, and who on more than one occasion has uttered racial or ethnic stereotypes that made me cringe. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | His Own Words

--Sinclair Lewis

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't stand when people said 'oh he through his grandma under teh bus!!11' oh shut the hell up.

Poor Grandma. I wish their family well.

I hope that she is able to hang in there to see her dreams for her grandson she raised comes true. My son is the apple of my mom's eye and she helped raise him when he was small and she literally lights up when she talks about him or he comes into the house even now. Nobody is as close as those two. I really feel for them knowing how much my son and mother's relationship means to each of them. The Obama-Dunham family are in my thoughts and prayers.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

I have read and watched the speech and any spin you put on it, the bottom line is that he outed his gran as a racist and he said that she was just like Wright. He used that poor woman in a completely disgusting way.

^^My dad uses Nigger all the time. Is he a racist pig? you betcha.

Is depends on the definition of "racist." If you are fearful of a black man who passes you on the street late a night, are you considered racist? If you've used the word Nigger before, are you racist? What's the definition of racist here?

I don't care whether he said that she's a racist or that she clips her toenails in bed. He exposed to the whole planet something personal about the woman that doesn't put her in a good light. Where I'm from, you don't do that to the people who raised you and loved you

And Obama's implication is clear. He can't disown Wright for the crap he has said and done anymore that he can disown his gran for the crap she has said and done. And considering the shit Wright has said, that was a pretty fucked up analogy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information