Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Barack Obama and John McCain getting same campaign coverage?

I'd take lack of experience and correct thinking over the WRONG EXPERIENCE and support for failed, damaging policies.

And Obama's people don't scare me compared to Bush and his evil cabal of war criminals. Look what they've done in 8 years.. bankrupted the country, destroyed the middle class, fought 2 wars of convenience, killed hundreds of thousands, fucked over the environment, and waged war on society using religious ideology as a cudgeol, suppressed science.. it's like the fucking dark ages.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I know McCain suggested the trip, and that's another issue.

Here we are talking about the media's part.

the reporter's question wasn't about the war...it was about travelling abroad when the economy is poor, and the implication that domestic issues should be taking precedence......well, the economy is still poor two weeks later.....

I see bias, I understand that perhaps you don't......but I'm not alone in what I see, the Rasmussen poll shows that half of the people polled also see anti-McCain bias in the media.

This isn't the frist election where I've seen slant in the media, and I don't expect it will be the last. The media is a for profit business, not actually in the business of giving the public unbiased news.
    But the point remains the same. McCain was being questioned about making a trip to Columbia and Mexico, a trip that served no real purpose in the larger picture. Obama traveling over to the Middle East does serve a purpose since we're at war there. If McCain had put his money where his mouth was and traveled to the Middle East again no one would have questioned him about it.

And I didn't say there wasn't a media bias. In fact, in my first post I said that the media was slanted toward Obama and stated why they were.

In fact, the media is usually slanted toward one candidate. In the 90's they were slanted toward Clinton, in 2000 toward Al Gore, and in 2004 they were slanted toward Kerry. Hell, in the beginning of the primary season the media was slanted toward Hillary. That's just a fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    There is definitely bias in the reporting on this election. And John McCain did travel to Iraq, but the press did not cover his trip. Although I am an independent voter, I usually tend to vote Democrat more often than not. This time I don't know what to do. Obama's lack of experience and the people he surrounds himself with scare me.
    Yeah, McCain has traveled to Iraq before, and when he did he had the media following after him the way they're following Obama.

I love how people keep acting as if Obama has no political experience whatsoever. True, I wish he had a few more years in Washington under his belt, but seven years in the state Senate and over three years in the U.S. Senate is nothing to sneeze at, either. But, then again, experience doesn't count for much if you lack the intelligence and common sense to put it to good use. Case in point: George W. Bush.
    Last edited by kingcap72; July 22nd, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But the point remains the same. McCain was being questioned about making a trip to Columbia and Mexico, a trip that served no real purpose in the larger picture. Obama traveling over to the Middle East does serve a purpose since we're at war there. If McCain had put his money where his mouth was and traveled to the Middle East no one would have questioned him about it.

And I didn't say there wasn't a media bias. In fact, in my first post I said that the media was slanted toward Obama and stated why they were.

In fact, the media is usually slanted toward one candidate. In the 90's they were slanted toward Clinton, in 2000 toward Al Gore, and in 2004 they were slanted toward Kerry. That's just a fact of life.

What about Obama's upcoming trip to Europe? We're not at war there.....

and the three major networks did not send their nightly news anchors on McCain's Iraq trip.......

In 2000 I saw them as slanted towards Bush...I remember what a big story the 'I invented the internet' became and Gore didn't say that....and how the media was always saying how boring his speeches were, and how he was a nerd.....it seemed to me like the media was all over Gore for all of those things, and Bush got a free pass. Gore is a media darling now, but he wasn't for a long time.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    What about Obama's upcoming trip to Europe? We're not at war there.....

and the three major networks did not send their nightly news anchors on McCain's Iraq trip.......

In 2000 I saw them as slanted towards Bush...I remember what a big story the 'I invented the internet' became and Gore didn't say that....and how the media was always saying how boring his speeches were, and how he was a nerd.....it seemed to me like the media was all over Gore for all of those things, and Bush got a free pass. Gore is a media darling again, but he wasn't for a long time.
    No, the three networks didn't send people with McCain on his trip, although they did give his trip major press.

And, yeah, you're right, we're not at war in Europe. But, then again, one of the reasons why Obama is going over to Europe is to introduce himself to the heads of state and European Union. And since people like to accuse him of having no foreign policy experience then his trips to Europe and the Middle East do serve a purpose.

And I still saw the media as slanted toward Gore. Because they really didn't seem to want Bush to be president.

Uh oh, McSame just accused Obama of wanting to 'lose the iraq war' by, 6 or 7 years later, withdrawing combat forces in 2 years.

Sure thing, combover. Keep dreaming.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There is definitely bias in the reporting on this election. And John McCain did travel to Iraq, but the press did not cover his trip. Although I am an independent voter, I usually tend to vote Democrat more often than not. This time I don't know what to do. Obama's lack of experience and the people he surrounds himself with scare me.
    You shouldn't vote at all if you don't even know the littlest of information. The press traveled with him, his 'regular' journalist that travels with him everyday went..this is the same time he made the screw up between Sunni, and Shite..how do you think the folks back here the the US of A got the pretty pictures.

Also, you shouldn't vote if you haven't did enough research on what kind of experience Obama has. As far as the people he surrounds himself with, who are we talking about..because if it is the crazy reverend..then, oh well!! stay home!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    No, the three networks didn't send people with McCain on his trip, although they did give his trip major press.

And, yeah, you're right, we're not at war in Europe. But, then again, one of the reasons why Obama is going over to Europe is to introduce himself to the heads of state and European Union. And since people like to accuse him of having no foreign policy experience then his trips to Europe and the Middle East do serve a purpose.

And I still saw the media as slanted toward Gore. Because they really didn't seem to want Bush to be president.
    Unlike McCain, Obama INVITED the three networks to go..McCain didn't he only wanted his 'regular' press people!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Jason Linkins cracks me up. Consistently. His latest post, "GOP 'Love' Ad Furthers the Pot-Kettle Dialectic," nails the absurdity of McCain complaining about favorable media coverage of Obama:

Senator John McCain is running a pair of ads that say -- get this - that the media is "in love" with Barack Obama. I know, I know...take a moment to cradle your poor head tenderly in your hands and note the attendant irony of the candidate best known for courting the press, straight up, as his "base," complaining bitterly about this. The press' great affinity for John McCain is well-known. There's a book about it. Even an RSS feed.

Yes, Obama is getting some great coverage on the trip that McCain pushed and pushed. But, lest we forget, it was McCain who got the Dunkin Donuts with sprinkles (his favorites) from AP's Liz Sidoti and Ron Fournier. That incident alone negates any complaining by McCain -- ever.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    *snicker*

[Also, you shouldn't vote if you haven't did enough research on what kind of experience Obama has. As far as the people he surrounds himself with, who are we talking about..because if it is the crazy reverend..then, oh well!! stay home!]

As stated, I am undecided on who to vote for.

I think that when Obama speaks, he shows his lack of experience. When he calls women sweetie, he shows his sexism. When he denies ever hearing Reverand Wright say those things over the 20 years he has belonged to that church, he shows his dishonesty. When he has former radicals as best friends, he shows a lack of judgement. All of those things scare me as qualities in a president.

On the other hand, I am not sold on McCain either and do not want another 4-8 years of what we currently have.

So, I won't stay home and I willl continue to research both of these candidates until I can pick the lesser of the two evils, as that is what we are left with in this election.

[Also, you shouldn't vote if you haven't did enough research on what kind of experience Obama has. As far as the people he surrounds himself with, who are we talking about..because if it is the crazy reverend..then, oh well!! stay home!]

As stated, I am undecided on who to vote for.

I think that when Obama speaks, he shows his lack of experience. When he calls women sweetie, he shows his sexism. When he denies ever hearing Reverand Wright say those things over the 20 years he has belonged to that church, he shows his dishonesty. When he has former radicals as best friends, he shows a lack of judgement. All of those things scare me as qualities in a president.

On the other hand, I am not sold on McCain either and do not want another 4-8 years of what we currently have.

So, I won't stay home and I willl continue to research both of these candidates until I can pick the lesser of the two evils, as that is what we are left with in this election.
    Good for you for doing your research. And you are right, this is a lesser of two evils election. But, as I've said to many friends who've said the same thing... the lesser of two evils is still evil.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Good for you for doing your research. And you are right, this is a lesser of two evils election. But, as I've said to many friends who've said the same thing... the lesser of two evils is still evil.
    Every election is basically a lesser of two evils. We're talking about politicians here.

Speaking generally, in Australia Obama definitely gets more coverage than McCain. I'd say roughly I see Obama on the commercialized 5 o'clock bulletin once or twice a week. On the channels which cater to more foreign audiences, it's as much as 4 times a week.

I do catch a few of your American shows, and I have noticed that McCain is featured more on shows relating to finance, etc. But I think Obama is more TV friendly and is more news friendly here. Obama comes across as handsome, vivacious, welcoming, youthful. McCain comes across as scar faced, assliped, boring and senile.

Honestly, I think it comes down to him being a Republican. Since we have gotten Bush's buttboy out of office (Howard) and we now have a Labor PM, I think we're more Democrat friendly because we want a change. I'd say that 70% of the Australian population think Bush and his party are tards. After all, we were led into this war by that fool.
    ssabmud

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Did everybody suddenly forget the stupid bus and jet that McCain travels around in loaded with sycophantic, biased journalists that fetch him donuts and make him coffee?

They report all the nonsense he says, but never bother to print out all the finance scamming, or all the idiotic mistakes he's made.. they just pretend it never happens.
    Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information