Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barack Obama goes back on the offensive with stimulus plan

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Looks like it's going to pass. 82% of the public thinks Obama has tried to get the repugs on board. If they don't get this thing passed it is going to backfire on the repugs. TAX CUTS won't work. If they did we wouldn't be in this mess.
    Agreed. But from what I heard on the news the current version that will pass has been slashed by over a $150 billion and that 42% of it are tax cuts. They have to cut down on those tax cuts are this stimulus isn't going to do a damn thing. Hopefully the final version will be less tax cuts and more spending.

doubtful, obama seems intent on getting assfucked over this bipartisan shit

if he gives in now, he'll be steamrolled by the MINORITY rethugs for the rest of his term

DO NOT GIVE THEM AN INCH. if they smell blood, they will hamstring you and turn your term into abject misery
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The big mistake that Obama and the Dems made was that they were willing to make too many concessions up front just to get the Republicans on board and that set a bad precedent, especially when they spit in Obama's face and rejected it in the House.

Now, the Republicans want more and more compromises, but Obama has to put his foot down and dial back some of the compromises *useless tax cuts* he's already made and put more spending in the bill.

I say gut all the shit he put in their for their benefit, tell the media "they werent interested in working together, so fuck em" before the rethugs get a chance to snivel about how Obama wasn't bipartisan enough (code for: we didnt get our way 100%) and really.. just.. shut up. why is anybody even listening to them after a decade of insanity?~!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

McCain was already on TV whining tonight about how out of 40 Republicans there are only two or three supporting it, so that's not bipartisanship.

..... that's because the other 40 are fucking retards.

Bipartisanship doesnt mean getting everybody on the other side on board.. to do that, he'd have to let THEM craft the fucking bill!

See, why are all the rethugs on tv, and all the dems fucking silent? The dems should be the ones on tv! do they even try to get on? I doubt it!

Obama's the only Dem that's really been making the rounds on television. There've been a couple of others here and there, but he's the main one. I'm shocked Biden's been so quiet.

Exactly. They aren't controlling the message. They never do. That's their weakness. Even after 10 years of idiocy, they are still inable to control the goddamned airwaves and stay ON MESSAGE.

Where the fuck is Rahm! he should know this. it's BASIC politics.

I think the Dems are letting Obama take the lead since he's the one pushing the stimulus, so let him deliver the message. Which isn't a bad idea since we're not talking about Dubya here.

Plus, as long as Obama stays fiesty and maintains control of the message, which he let slip away from him until a day or two ago, that's not a bad strategy. Although I still think Biden should be out there pushing the message, too.

They should be EVERYWHERE, but they arent.

True. But, on the other hand, the GOP are making themselves look like a bunch of useless whiners on every television station since they aren't offering a better alternative, while the economy continues to tank. So, that overexposure can backfire if not handled correctly.

Yeah, call my cynical but i dont trust the US electorate to see through their lies and bullshit.

The way people keep losing their jobs and homes they won't have a choice but to see through the GOP's bullshit.

Friday, Feb. 6, 2009 14:23 PST
    The loopy mendacity of Grover Norquist

On Friday afternoon, Grover Norquist posted the following explanation of why the U.S. economy is sliding into the deepest recession since World War II at the National Review Online's group blog, The Corner.
    The economy as measured by the market and businesses' willingness to hire does not sound very excited by the Reid/Pelosi/Obama spending spree.

The economy began to collapse when the Democrats captured the House and Senate and we then knew that the lower tax rates on individuals, capital gains, and dividends would end after 2010.
    It's not the first time that Norquist, president of the anti-tax lobbying group Americans for Tax Reform, has unburdened himself of such breath-taking imbecility. But to do so in response to the news that the economy lost 600,000 jobs in January is bold, even for him -- (and of course, stunningly wrong, even in the narrowest sense -- at the very moment Norquist wrote those words the stock market was rebounding, on hopes, theorized by none other than that shining beacon of leftwing propaganda, the Wall Street Journal, that the stimulus bill would pass. If Norquist wants to see a real market panic, wait and see what happens if the Senate fails to pass a stimulus bill.)

As Paul Krugman replied when I asked him how one combats such prideful ignorance (or willful mendacity, take your pick) as that displayed on a daily basis by Norquist, "to some extent you can't fight it, people will believe what they want to believe." But there is some evidence that there's a limit to what Norquist's own fellow travelers are willing to stomach. Responding at The Corner to Norquist, Ramesh Ponnuru, author of "The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts, and the Disregard for Human Life," wrote:
    This interpretation of the economy strikes me as highly implausible.
    Of course it does. And of course Norquist knows it is implausible, and ridiculous. All's fair in love and pro-tax-cut propaganda. The scary thing is that Norquist is an influential figure in the Republican party, and his reduction of economic analysis to cartoon absurdity is hardly unique -- we've been hearing it on the floor of the Senate every day, all day, all week long.

― Andrew Leonard

The loopy mendacity of Grover Norquist - How the World Works - Salon.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information