Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama gives chilly reception to canceled school in D.C.

He could always move back to Chicago if he likes it better there.

In Iowa, they only close if it snowed during the night and the plows couldn't get to the rural areas in time for the buses to run. It sucks when buses get stuck.

I agree, suck it up people! Don't be such wussies.

OCK

Do they not have salt trucks and snow plows in D.C.?
    ~~~Jesus please save me from your fanclub~~~

Quote Originally Posted by OCK View Post
    Do they not have salt trucks and snow plows in D.C.?
    Yes, but there's no money to run them.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    Yes. I live in a border city and it's so funny to me when I hear of everything closing just across the river and they are only getting a bit of snow that we wouldn't blink twice at.
    Me too! (hehe) I can barely think of any occasions school was closed when I was a kid... I attended Kindergarten-OAC in the same town, with Lake Effect, so we certainly had our doozies - I'm going to assume it happened at least once or twice, but I don't actually remember school being closed even once. Some cities just aren't as used to it, though, and will close down if they're worried about their drivers not being cool with it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Aw hell the man was joking and it was funny. My kid's school closes or starts late if it is raining too much and we close for a week over an inch of snow. People down south should drive in winter weather period.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Here in central VA schools often close before the snow even hits the ground. We close over less than an inch of snow if it's sticking. We've closed if it rained the night before and the roads froze overnight.At the very least we'd open 2 hrs early. And forget trying to buy bread or milk at the supermarket, lol!!

I think the schools are afraid of getting sued.
    If it's slick enough I literally cannot get up my street, lol.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    oh fer, we had -45C and schools still stayed open. They just taught the kids that showed up, the rest froze somewhere on the way.
    Yeah, I remember one winter when it got down to -30C and we just had to suck it up and go to school. And this was in the southern Finland, in the north it got up to -50C and at the time they also got a lot of snow, but the kids went to school.

I went to school near DC and they closed the school every time there was a single snowflake in the air. Loved it.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

The irony of the DC area is that they have the equipment to deal with the snow and ice, that they know that it will likely snow or freeze at any given time during the winter, but that they still freak out.

Obama's kids' school, Sidwell Friends, probably follows the Montgomery County (MD) school system in issuing its closures. Montgomery County is known for closing school the night before it even snows. If I were a school kid, I would make my parents move to Montgomery County just for the snow days.

Back in 2003, there was a huge blizzard in the DC area. The schools were closed all week. The first day was actually the President's Day holiday, but after that, they got all snow days.

Every school system builds in snow days at the end of the year just in case. Well, the school board in Arlington County (VA) was basically afraid to use them: parents have vacations already planned for the summer, blah, blah, blah.

So, what did the school system do? Lengthen the remaining school days in the year by approximately a half hour. This meant that for high schools, each class was lengthened a whopping 7 minutes, or something like that. An utter joke.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

My husband is from Labrador in Canada and he recalls many a day walking to school in -50C. That was just a way of life there. You always wore a ski mask, you layered up and were good to go. Now that he's in another Province with me, I've never known him to own a winter coat or gloves. He says after living in Labrador, he can tolerate anything.

OMG here in the UK all hell breaks loose if we get so much as a centimetre of snow. Trains stop, buses stop, schools close, it makes headline news. We're allegedly due some snow tomorrow. (I'll believe it when I see it) I work at an airport so it'll be interesting to see if that grinds to a halt too..

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post
    OMG here in the UK all hell breaks loose if we get so much as a centimetre of snow. Trains stop, buses stop, schools close, it makes headline news. We're allegedly due some snow tomorrow. (I'll believe it when I see it) I work at an airport so it'll be interesting to see if that grinds to a halt too..
    It's weird, there does seem to be a complete over reaction to any snow here. But I remember going to school on days when it snowed. I remember slipping over on the ice a few times and getting pelted with snow balls. Fun times! Lol.

SVZ

my high school closed 2 times in the.......9 years i was there

Recently,they closed school for 2 days where I'm at because they said it was too cold for the kiddies to be outside waiting for the bus. It was cold but it wasn't Arctic temperatures by any means. Kids need to stop being such wusses. It's pathetic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information