Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama effigy hanged from tree

Thumbs down

Oh dear, that is awful, no one can defend that

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    there was an interesting poll done this week....

It appears that the Dems have their own racism issues.....

Dems' prejudice may cost Obama votes
    By: David Paul Kuhn
    September 20, 2008 10:07 PM EST

In a report sure to spark a national conversation on race, an AP-Yahoo News study reported Saturday that white prejudice could be a significant enough factor to undermine Barack Obama’s bid to be the first black president of the United States.

The AP-Yahoo study concluded that white Democratic racism may cause 2.5 percent of voters to "turn away from Obama because of his race," roughly the margin of President Bush's victory over John F. Kerry in 2004.

The AP-Yahoo study found that one-third of white Democrats cited a negative adjective when describing blacks and, of those, just 58 percent said they planned to back Obama. For example, AP reported that more than a quarter of white Democrats agreed that “if blacks would only try harder, they could be just as well off as whites.” Four in 10 white independents agreed, while a quarter described blacks as "violent."
    This article/study was commented on last week by the guys over at fivethirtyeight.com:
    On Race-Based Voting

The commentariat's topic du jour is this AP story which cites a study conducted in conjunction with Yahoo!, Knowledge Networks and Stanford University and which reports that "Statistical models derived from the poll suggest that Obama's support would be as much as 6 percentage points higher if there were no white racial prejudice." Here are some thoughts I have on the matter:

1. It is irresponsible to cite this study without fully disclosing its methods or making it subject to peer review, particularly as it appears to use a rather convoluted soup of statistical and inferential techniques.

2. The study appears to be one of all adults, rather than registered or likely voters. Expressions of racial prejudice have a strong inverse correlation with education levels, and so do turnout rates. Therefore, even if it is true that Barack Obama's race puts him at something like a 6-point disadvantage with the population as a whole, the margin is probably more like 4-5 points among likely voters.

3. A related and unresolved question is how many persons will vote for Barack Obama because he is black. Such behavior would probably be more implicit and harder to ascertain than voting against a candidate because of racial prejudice. For instance, Obama's biography is significantly more compelling because he is black (actually, bi-racial), and his change message is probably somewhat easier to sell because he looks different than other (e.g. white) politicians. If he were white, in other words, Barack Obama would not be Barack Obama. Moreover, there may be some people who explicitly vote for Obama because they think it will advance a goal of racial equality, present a different face to the world, and so forth. In the absence of sufficient detail on the study's methodology, it is impossible to know whether these things have been accounted for.

4. One should be very careful not to confuse a study like this with the Bradley Effect. Of course some people are racist, and will vote against Obama because he is black -- I have met some of them. But the Bradley Effect concerns something different -- whether such people are likely to lie about their behavior to pollsters. There is simply no empirical evidence that the Bradley Effect exists any longer. It did not exist in the primaries, and it did not exist in the 2006 Senate race in Tennessee, which was perhaps the most racially-tinged contest of the past decade (in fact, Harold Ford slightly outperformed the late polls).

NEWBERG, Ore. - Officials of a small Christian university say a life-size cardboard reproduction of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was hung from a tree on the campus, an act with racial undertones that outraged students and school leaders alike.
    Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
    ssabmud

It's not just a Christian university, it's a Quaker school. They should know better given their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    And you posted that in this thread because...?
    I thought I was expanding on the idea of racism existing out there in the thread...I thought discussion was encouraged here...

What I was adding was that in my experience and opinion racism is everywhere......even among people who should know better.....it's not limited to college kids hanging effigies

There were many stories in the past few weeks regarding the impact of racism on the outcome of this election.

This from Jack Cafferty:
    The differences between Barack Obama and John McCain couldn't be more well-defined. Obama wants to change Washington. McCain is a part of Washington and a part of the Bush legacy. Yet the polls remain close. Doesn't make sense…unless it's race.

Time magazine's Michael Grunwald says race is the elephant in the room.

I think if racism may be the reason that Obama may not win- then what needs to be seen is that a large amount of people, regardless of what party affiliation they may have politically, have racist issues. It is an across the board problem, there are racists of all religious back grounds, economic groups, ages, etc......

Just today there was a Sun Times Ed on racism,Obama and the election...

Blame deep-seated racism if Obama loses

Pssst! I have a not-so-secret to tell you: America is no place for uppity black folks. At least that's what I've been finding out lately.

Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland of Georgia actually used this dated word, which means a black person -- usually striving to get educated and live a better life -- who doesn't know her place: "Just from what little I've seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity."

Another Georgian, Rick Goddard, invoked it too: "Last night, Newt Gingrich disarmed a very uppity newscaster who tried to question him on the capabilities and leadership of Gov. Palin," the retired Air Force general said about a black journalist.

This sentiment isn't limited to grass-chewing Southerners, considering a recent AP-Stanford University poll that validates what I've suspected: If Barack Obama doesn't win in November, we can blame racism.

Now before you undecideds and independents go sucking your teeth, thinking, "Well, what do you expect a nappy-headed black woman to say?" hear me out: The issue is really about modern-day "racial misgivings" rather than the straight-up, hate-filled "racism" we associate with hanging nooses of bygone days. Many whites surveyed associated blacks with being "lazy," "violent" and responsible for their own troubles. Blame these deep-seated racial beliefs for Obama's inertia in the polls. He'd be way ahead if 40 percent of white Americans didn't have negative views of African Americans.

But c'mon, look at the economic crisis . . . the jobless rate . . . the war. If Obama were a white guy named Trevor Gustafson with half a brain, I suspect voters would be clamoring to vote for him just to try something different -- something that might work. It so happens Obama is pretty smart, pragmatic and down to earth. Far from an elite, he just finished paying his student loans. Strivers like him are what you might call, um, "uppity."

But the Great American Gut Check won't give Obama a break. Meanwhile, voters and the old white men (sounding crusty, yet adorable) who call me are inexplicably all too willing to support status quo Republican John McCain and give his running mate -- average American Good Ol' Girl Sarah Palin -- a pass.

I really can't blame white Americans for their misgivings. I want to, but I can't. It seems many of us are hard-wired to cling to our biases even in the face of new facts that overturn our beliefs, says Robert Burton, author of On Being Certain, in a piece at Salon. Burton cites a Cornell University study showing that incompetent people tend to overestimate their abilities, fail to recognize other people's skill and don't see the "extremity of their inadequacy." He links "unshakable self-confidence" to feelings of conviction or rightness -- what we might call the gut. Neurologically speaking, these feelings don't help us make better decisions.

The AP-Stanford poll really did a favor for those who consider themselves reasonable and fair. It coaxed out beliefs many hold but don't want to admit and forces us to challenge our thinking to make sure we're voting in our own best interests. That means it's not too late to avoid succumbing to our baser instincts -- the churn of the gut. But what do I know? I'm just an uppity black woman

Blame deep-seated racism if Obama loses :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Deborah Douglas#
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; September 26th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yes, we all know racism exists in this country. But even Al Sharpton has said it won't be an issue in this contest, even if Obama loses.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    This article/study was commented on last week by the guys over at fivethirtyeight.com:

However, my point wasn't the amount of points Obama may or may not lose, which is what fivethirtyeight.com is commenting on.......It was the amount of people polled that had racist feelings.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Of course this happened on a Christian/Quaker establishment, it's so Christ-like to hang a replica of one of God's children because of his skin color and political party. /sarcasm/

I hate the X-tian right, I really do. I'm guessing that some people just have a problem with Obama's skin color because that they think "minorities" are gonna take over the country if he's elected. Never mind that Caucasians are still the majority of the US population-wise and most don't care about race. It's an illogical thing to think of but that's how bigots think; illogically.

witchcurlgirl has'nt done antyhing wrong mentioning that some Dems are uncomfortable with Obama's race. There are still those old-timey Democrats (ie:conservatives) who would not want him to win just soley on old time predujices. It's something that needs to be addressed and we can't deny that it does'nt exist within our own party because sadly it does.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    More racism coming out:
    "Do You Want A Black President?" - September 24, 2008

""Do You Want A Black President?"

White supremacist anti-Obama leaflets distributed in New Jersey town

SEPTEMBER 24--In a glimpse of what may be to come in the final weeks before Election Day, a white supremacist group peppered a New Jersey neighborhood with an anti-Barack Obama political leaflet asking, "Do You Want A Black President?" The leaflet, a copy of which you'll find below, was distributed by the New Jersey-based League of American Patriots, which notes on its web site that membership is "restricted to adult heterosexual men and women who are entirely of European Christian ancestry."

The leaflet, which some Roxbury, N.J. residents found Saturday in their driveways, claims that "Black Ruled Nations most unstable and violent in the world," and asks, "Why should we seal our fate by allowing a Black ruler to destroy us?" The one-page flyer, which misspells the Democratic presidential candidate's first name, includes a doctored photo purporting to show Obama wearing a turban."

Picture of flier at link.

I am so STUNNED this happened in my state of NJ, and I am stunned this group exists here. I know it happens all over, but when it hits close to home....

But then again on futher thinking, I do live in a fairly rural area and have some asshole rednecks in the area. We brought my African American friend to my local bar one night to celebrate a bday and someone in a cowboy hat asked him when his band was starting. Like the only reason a black guy would be there is to play music!! I was FURIOUS!!!!!
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

If people in this country would rather vote based on race or gender, over important issues, so be it.

Ignorance is the weapon of mass destruction which will bring this nation down. Implosion imminent.

I totally agree it counts to the fact they voted for Bush twice

His history with anything he touched turned to shit should have been a warning but hey 'he is one of us' mentality created the clusterfuck today.

I'm still pondering, maybe they only like half of him since he's biracial? lol. No seriously, that is truly a sad sight to behold. I accidentally stumbled on that bullshit place called Stormfront. Most disturbing experience on the internet.

and look at this

[youtube]ODaxZSz3Awg[/youtube]
    Last edited by bychance; September 26th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.

^I know what you mean. I ended up there once and quickly backed away in horror.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    ^I know what you mean. I ended up there once and quickly backed away in horror.
    My curiosity got the best of me and I ended up visiting occasionally for a month I need to stop doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore0101 View Post
    I am so STUNNED this happened in my state of NJ, and I am stunned this group exists here. I know it happens all over, but when it hits close to home....

But then again on futher thinking, I do live in a fairly rural area and have some asshole rednecks in the area. We brought my African American friend to my local bar one night to celebrate a bday and someone in a cowboy hat asked him when his band was starting. Like the only reason a black guy would be there is to play music!! I was FURIOUS!!!!!

Add one more reason as to why I'm disappointed in my state.

It just shows you that we've come a long way but we still have so far to go. The fact that we have a person of color as a serious Presidential candidate would've been unheard of 30 years ago. I hope as younger generations see this and grow up in a more diverse world, these attitudes will fade away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information