Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 97 of 97

Thread: Barack Obama confronts racial division in U.S. in speech

  1. #91
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcohol the honey View Post
    Huh uh now he's not a human but hybrid

    Don Imus: attacked a group of college basketball players based on race and gender.

    Rev. Wright: attacked unethical policies implemented by the US.

    Different as night and day.
    True. I don't like don't like Don Imus either, um, but there are obvious physiological differences between people, maybe he felt inferior to be so nasty about the way he said it.

  2. #92
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alcohol the honey View Post
    Huh uh now he's not a human but hybrid

    Don Imus: attacked a group of college basketball players based on race and gender.

    Rev. Wright: attacked unethical policies implemented by the US.

    Different as night and day.
    Don Imus: made an offhand joke about college basketball players.

    Rev. Wright: a so-called man of God who abused his position to preach hate towards whites and the US government

    You are right. The situations were as different as night and day. Don Imus is an entertainer, and Rev. Wright is a pastor who thousands look to for spiritual guidance.

    BTW, I do think there is a constructive way to disagree with the policies of the US government. But Rev. Wright did not do so. He used his mic to demogauge, and spew conspiracy theories.

  3. #93
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post

    BTW, I do think there is a constructive way to disagree with the policies of the US government. But Rev. Wright did not do so. He used his mic to demogauge, and spew conspiracy theories.
    Yeah, I agree, it's tricky.

  4. #94
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    I don't mind that Rev. Wright disagrees with the policies of the US government. I disagree with a lot of their policies as well.

    But I think his comments would have been a lot better received had he presented facts stating why he disagreed with certain policies, and did so in a calm, rational manner. Listening to his sermons, it seemed to me he was more interested in whipping his congregation up into a frenzy by screaming and giving them what they wanted to hear. Someone who screams "God Damn America" really isn't someone to be taken seriously in my book.

    And for Rev. Wright to say something like "the US government created AIDS to kill off black people; they put drugs in our neighborhoods to kill off black people," and not back up those claims with any evidence just makes him look like a conspiracy theorist who is only interested in inciting hate IMO.

  5. #95
    Gold Member alcohol the honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    What conspiracy theories? Like glossing over history to cover up modern-day atrocities? It's only denigrated to "conspiracy" status because efforts were made to get rid of truth and silence voice of dissent. I thought I knew all about history and major historical events until I stopped reading glossed over historical events, and began to seek information outside of a curriculum made up of glossed over and one-sided historical events. I learned a lot but there's so much more.

    There's a lot of blood and sophisticated ways of covering it up while other countries committing the same or similar atrocities don't care, not nearly as sophisticated and it's all in the open.
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

  6. #96
    Elite Member dolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    Rev. Wright: a so-called man of God who abused his position to preach hate towards whites and the US government
    Well, that is certainly true, but he's not the only one by a long stretch. My husband and I went to my sisters church one day a few years back. The entire sermon was saying that "arabs" are evil and we need to conquer their countries and convert them for the Lord. Then he went to talk about how Gay people are evil and like to spread AIDS to each other as a "gift" and how we need to covert them to God because what they are doing is evil.

    I can pretty much guarantee that church we went to isn't the only one like it out there.

    Anyone is the position of a pastor needs to really evaluate what they are saying and how it will influence people. However, just because that person is your pastor does not mean you agree 100% with what they say.

  7. #97
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Well, that is certainly true, but he's not the only one by a long stretch. My husband and I went to my sisters church one day a few years back. The entire sermon was saying that "arabs" are evil and we need to conquer their countries and convert them for the Lord. Then he went to talk about how Gay people are evil and like to spread AIDS to each other as a "gift" and how we need to covert them to God because what they are doing is evil.

    I can pretty much guarantee that church we went to isn't the only one like it out there.

    Anyone is the position of a pastor needs to really evaluate what they are saying and how it will influence people. However, just because that person is your pastor does not mean you agree 100% with what they say.
    That one is news to me! However, saying that the Government gave any group of people a disease isn't far fetched at all. The Tuskegee Experiment is proof of that, they sat by and let nearly 400 black men with syphilis infect their wives and children by not telling them that were infected all the while using them as guenie pigs.

    The Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male also known as the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, Pelkola Syphilis Study, Public Health Service Syphilis Study or the Tuskegee Experiments was a clinical study, conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Alabama, in which 399 (plus 201 control group without syphilis) poor and mostly illiterate African American sharecroppers were denied treatment for syphilis.
    This study became notorious because it was conducted without due care to its subjects, and led to major changes in how patients are protected in clinical studies. Individuals enrolled in the Tuskegee Syphilis Study did not give informed consent and were not informed of their diagnosis; instead they were told they had "bad blood" and could receive free medical treatment, rides to the clinic, meals and burial insurance in case of death in return for participating.
    In 1932, when the study started, standard treatments for syphilis were toxic, dangerous, and of questionable effectiveness. Part of the original goal of the study was to determine if patients were better off not being treated with these toxic remedies.
    By 1947, penicillin had become the standard treatment for syphilis. Prior to this discovery, syphilis frequently led to a chronic, painful and fatal multisystem disease. Rather than treat all syphilitic subjects with penicillin and close the study, or split off a control group for testing penicillin; the Tuskegee scientists withheld penicillin and information about penicillin, purely to continue to study how the disease spreads and kills. Participants were also prevented from accessing syphilis treatment programs that were available to other people in the area. The study continued until 1972, when a leak to the press resulted in its termination.
    The Tuskegee Syphilis Study, cited as "arguably the most infamous biomedical research study in U.S. history", led to the 1979 Belmont Report, the establishment of the National Human Investigation Board, and the requirement for establishment of Institutional Review Boards.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Barack Obama [President of the USA]
    By sweetrebel in forum Hot Guys
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: May 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
  2. Barack Obama WINS BIG in Mississippi...
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th, 2008, 03:24 AM
  3. Some free advice for Barack Obama
    By Fluffy in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
  4. Barack Obama tangles with the press
    By tkdgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
  5. Barack Obama wins Wisconsin; Wis. exit poll: Obama with broad backing
    By january in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •