Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 97

Thread: Barack Obama confronts racial division in U.S. in speech

  1. #31
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ya-ya_sister View Post
    This country's track record with minorities such as blacks, gays, etc... is awful. There is no doubt about it. But to lead, to be the leader of this country I think it needs to be a person who despite all this country's flaws believes in the foundation this country was built upon. I am not saying that Obama Barack doesn't, but I find it very disturbing that the church he has attended for 20 years has/had a leader who spouts just as much hatred and bigotry as any KKK member. A spirtual leader who does not believe in this country. I do not find these particular views his pastor expressed as representative of the black community, but I do find it disturbing that of all the churches Barack could choose to attend (a right guaranteed in this country) he attends this one. I want the best candidate for the job-race, gender, sexual orientation does not figure in that for me. I am just not sure if Barack Obama is it.
    Not to be cynical here, but that's like saying that the Fundies are the glue holding it all together, which maybe they are.
    Last edited by JamieElizabeth; March 18th, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

  2. #32
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    So preaching hatred makes it all better? There is no justification whatsoever for the things Wright has said. You give him a pass, you give everyone else who preaches hate, division, racism, etc. a pass as well.

    Like I said, for a man who espouses so much hope, for Obama to be associated with hatred for 20 years is disturbing and disgusting. Spin it all you want.
    I am not spinning anything. I am telling you the things that has happened, and keeps happening that is ferment on the minds and hearts of many. If you want to ignore the past 40 years, then fine. However, you can't make someone so happy about them. You cannot take snippets of a hour long sermons and define someone by them. Just like I cannot take the anger my grandparents felt and make them apart of my life. I am not giving him a pass, but I know where his hurt is coming from because I know the history of this country's faults. I know that in some ways it is still alive and well. Because as much as I tried to tell myself that racism didn't leave those people in New Orleans for 5 days..common sense tells me differently. That's disgusting! Giving black men syphilis was disgusting...But, you do what you need to do...I know that I can grasp the hurt of generations before mine without agreeing with their statements, and tactics.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  3. #33
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    I am not spinning anything. I am telling you the things that has happened, and keeps happening that is ferment on the minds and hearts of many. If you want to ignore the past 40 years, then fine. However, you can't make someone so happy about them. You cannot take snippets of a hour long sermons and define someone by them. Just like I cannot take the anger my grandparents felt and make them apart of my life. I am not giving him a pass, but I know where his hurt is coming from because I know the history of this country's faults. I know that in some ways it is still alive and well. Because as much as I tried to tell myself that racism didn't leave those people in New Orleans for 5 days..common sense tells me differently. That's disgusting! Giving black men syphilis was disgusting...But, you do what you need to do...I know that I can grasp the hurt of generations before mine without agreeing with their statements, and tactics.
    You are wrong. They left white,Hispanic and Cajun people betrayed just as much. They didn't care because it was the South-no where near Washington. A poor state with Nepoleonic Law that will never be able to vote them in or out. Salt-of-the earth, good natured people who helped each other when FEMA left them (and still leaves them) in the dust. Did California take this long to rebuild after the earthquakes? Those people are still suffering and no one will ever be able to know the death toll-they die still-heart attacks, record suicides. My sister is determined to stay there, but how long can her heart hold out? They don't care about color-they just junked a state.
    When CUBA offeres help, we did more than just fail. We fell on a sword and I am not forgiving or forgetting about this ever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  4. #34
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You are wrong. They left white,Hispanic and Cajun people betrayed just as much. They didn't care because it was the South-no where near Washington. A poor state with Nepoleonic Law that will never be able to vote them in or out. Salt-of-the earth, good natured people who helped each other when FEMA left them (and still leaves them) in the dust. Did California take this long to rebuild after the earthquakes? Those people are still suffering and no one will ever be able to know the death toll-they die still-heart attacks, record suicides. My sister is determined to stay there, but how long can her heart hold out? They don't care about color-they just junked a state.
    When CUBA offeres help, we did more than just fail. We fell on a sword and I am not forgiving or forgetting about this ever.
    You're right . Because more than race, we are a country divided by class- money.

    That's the great divide here in the US. It's economic.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  5. #35
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    When Obama's suppporters start giving Hillary and her camp a pass, then maybe I'll start believing the spin about Obama's spiritual mentor, lol.

  6. #36
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    When Obama's suppporters start giving Hillary and her camp a pass, then maybe I'll start believing the spin about Obama's spiritual mentor, lol.
    it'll never happen.....

    don't you know the woman kills puppies with her bare hands for fun? But I hear it's only black puppies


    My questions about this speech are:

    1. How can we trust someone who was dishonest with the american public about hearing any anti hate speech in the pews?

    2. How does he ask us to take a stand on racial issues when he just stood by and let it fly in his church?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  7. #37
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,444

    Default

    First of all, I want to make sure all of you who are up in arms about his pastor's comments have it right. I posted about it before:
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    The media is reporting that quote out of context. He wasn't just saying 'God damn America'; he was saying God damn America if we continue to behave in a manner out of line with the Bible. The full quote by Obama's minister is as follows:

    "The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."
    ABC News: Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    1. How can we trust someone who was dishonest with the american public about hearing any anti hate speech in the pews?

    2. How does he ask us to take a stand on racial issues when he just stood by and let it fly in his church?
    1. How do you know he was dishonest about hearing the hate in the pews? He wasn't there for either of these sermons, and he says that never in private conversation etc. had he heard Wright express those sentiments.

    2. He answeres that in his speech:
    'Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way

    But the truth is, that isn't all that I know of the man. The man I met more than twenty years ago is a man who helped introduce me to my Christian faith, a man who spoke to me about our obligations to love one another; to care for the sick and lift up the poor. He is a man who served his country as a U.S. Marine; who has studied and lectured at some of the finest universities and seminaries in the country, and who for over thirty years led a church that serves the community by doing God's work here on Earth - by housing the homeless, ministering to the needy, providing day care services and scholarships and prison ministries, and reaching out to those suffering from HIV/AIDS.'

    I really advise all of you who are so up in arms over this to go READ the text of the speech. He really puts this whole thing, and his pastor, into context:
    "This is the reality in which Reverend Wright and other African-Americans of his generation grew up. They came of age in the late fifties and early sixties, a time when segregation was still the law of the land and opportunity was systematically constricted."

    He doesn't excuse or endorse the comments in any way.
    Obama Race Speech: Read The Full Text - Politics on The Huffington Post

  8. #38
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    I have difficulty with ANY politician who campaigns on his religion when there are so many pressing foreign and domestic issues and policies at stake. It's also out of order since NOT EVERYBODY IN AMERICA is a Christian or votes on the basis of their religious beliefs. In fact, most people don't choose a politician based on their religion. The U.S. constitution is based on a separation of church and state, or is that all but forgotten?

  9. #39
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    A poor state with Nepoleonic Law that will never be able to vote them in or out. Salt-of-the earth, good natured people who helped each other when FEMA left them (and still leaves them) in the dust. My sister is determined to stay there, but how long can her heart hold out?
    It is disappointing to the heart that they don't care, but more people should have their hearts in their own community. Right?

  10. #40
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    I like the fact that Obama made this speech, but I hate the fact that he had to. But it was time, since people keep trying to make race an issue in this campaign.

    The problem with race in America is that it's this country's dirty little secret that people want to pretend doesn't exist. This country was founded on racism and prejudice. And that's just a fact. The Indians were enslaved and slaughtered and their land stolen from them, blacks were enslaved to build this country, Asians were treated like indentured servants to help build the railroads, and Irish & Italian people were treated like dogs. That is the unresolved history of this country.

    And when it comes to race in this country no two groups have a more convoluted history than blacks and whites. But that convoluted history goes back thousands of years, long before there was an America. Since blacks and whites first came into contact with one another it's always been a love/hate sort of thing, not like Jews and Arabs who just outright don't like one another.

    With blacks and whites it's been on one hand hating each other, while at the same time constantly screwing each other and breeding. Neither race can completely stay away from the other, even during segregation. It's like a constant push/pull. But what's happened in that is that neither race wants to acknowledge their role in that convoluted history, and like Obama said each tends to retreat to their corner, play the blame game, and let the resentment grow, rather than just deal with the issues between the races.

    Part of that resentment is that both races, black and white, have their own preconcieved notions about one another. For example, a lot whites tend to think blacks have it easy because we can just cry 'racism' and everything falls into our laps. While a lot of blacks think that if you're born white that it's like winning the lottery, you have no problems in your life ever. Neither assumption is true, but since people don't want to talk about race, because in this politically correct era if you even broach the subject of race, or admit that you have stereotypes, then you're considered a racist. And the ugly history of race remains unresolved and the resentment of race still continues to infect America like a cancer. And it's going to stay that way until both blacks and whites cut the bullshit and start being honest with each other.
    Last edited by kingcap72; March 19th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

  11. #41
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You are wrong. They left white,Hispanic and Cajun people betrayed just as much. They didn't care because it was the South-no where near Washington. A poor state with Nepoleonic Law that will never be able to vote them in or out. Salt-of-the earth, good natured people who helped each other when FEMA left them (and still leaves them) in the dust. Did California take this long to rebuild after the earthquakes? Those people are still suffering and no one will ever be able to know the death toll-they die still-heart attacks, record suicides. My sister is determined to stay there, but how long can her heart hold out? They don't care about color-they just junked a state.
    When CUBA offeres help, we did more than just fail. We fell on a sword and I am not forgiving or forgetting about this ever.
    I wasn't wrong. It was racism, and class also played a major role. During the recent fires in California they rushed to find them a secure place where they could evacuate to...
    Katrina brought out the evils of this country.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  12. #42
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Neither assumption is true, but since people don't want to talk about race, because in this politically correct era if you even broach the subject of race, or admit that you have stereotypes, then you're considered a racist. And the ugly history of race remains unresolved and the resentment of race still continues to infect America like a cancer. And it's going to stay that way until both blacks and whites cut the bullshit and start being honest with each other.
    So, this shit goes back even further in time, like even Rome, except that it was okay in ancient history where the slaves were necessary. Shits whacked.

  13. #43
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    So, this shit goes back even further in time, like even Rome, except that it was okay back there. So, there has been an improvement?
    I don't really think there's been an improvement. Because, historically, both races felt an inherent superiority to the other. And that still exists, to some degree, today. Which is why both blacks and whites sometimes feel that they each have the high ground when it comes to the issue of race. It's easier to point the finger than take a look in your own backyard.

  14. #44
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I don't really think there's been an improvement. Because, historically, both races felt an inherent superiority to the other. And that still exists, to some degree, today. Which is why both blacks and whites sometimes feel that they each have the high ground when it comes to the issue of race. It's easier to point the finger than take a look in your own backyard.
    Luckily, we are more advanced technologically, so there is an improvement in that way.
    And I still am wondering how places like France, how they have handled race issues. They seem to look at things, more as a culture.

  15. #45
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Luckily, we are more advanced technologically, so there is an improvement in that way.
    And I still am wondering how places like France, how they have handled race issues. They seem to look at things, more as a culture.
    I wasn't really thinking technologically, but I see what you're talking about.

    And France hasn't really handled the race issue that well, since they were having race riots last year. I think a lot of that had to do with the stream of foreigners settling in the country, though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Barack Obama [President of the USA]
    By sweetrebel in forum Hot Guys
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: May 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
  2. Barack Obama WINS BIG in Mississippi...
    By *DIVA! in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th, 2008, 03:24 AM
  3. Some free advice for Barack Obama
    By Fluffy in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 10th, 2008, 10:20 AM
  4. Barack Obama tangles with the press
    By tkdgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: March 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
  5. Barack Obama wins Wisconsin; Wis. exit poll: Obama with broad backing
    By january in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: February 20th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •