Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Barack Obama backing off repealing the ban on gays in the military?

they'll be ready to pounce on him no matter what time he does it. they're already gearing up for the fight over the repeal of DOMA!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Republicans are ready to fight Obama on just about anything and everything. They don't care about anything other than trying to regain some power in the mid-term elections.

The Republicans would love Obama if he tried to have DOMA or DADT repealed now. Those two actions would most certainly boost them to the win on the "family values" ticket.

Personally I feel the gay rights issue should be brought up. Strategically, Obama would be a fool to touch it now. The new Administration would be slicing its own throat if it even scratched the surface in the first 1-2 years.

Politically, unless this country wants to hand the power back to the crazy right, that subject if off limits indefinitely.

I say Obama will take a couple years of victories under his belt before he even attempts it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Depending on the atmosphere, which Obama and his administration will research constantly, there may not be a right time during this term, if the rights being granted is the desired outcome.

The...ahem...good ole boy Repubs are already pissed. This subject will have them turning green and bursting seams.

Two years, minimum.

i still say they need to be put on an island.

... and then the island should be napalmed.

Get rid of the elected Repubs and their constituents will put even more conservative reps in their place. There are already rumblings of the southern Republicans being "too soft" among their supporters.

At what point do you just tell them to fuck off, and ram through needed and justified legislation though. There comes a point where you have to just DO IT. If you're constantly worried what the crazies might do, nothing would ever get done.

There needs to be some way to marginalize their idiotic blathering, to make it an ideology to mock, SOMETHING

I think David Duke bashing Micheal Steele is further proof that the GOP is heading for a serious civil war that started coming to a head with Palin.

A civil war between the fundie bible thumpers and the the old south crossburners? I'm bringing the beer.

To those who preach forcing it through, and obviously can't see why that is not a good idea if receiving rights is the objective, let's break it down ONE MORE TIME.
    -The legislative branch will not support gay rights. That bill will be killed before the ink dries. FAIL.
    -If the vote is given to the people, we all know what will happen. It will be Prop 8 on a national scale. FAIL.
    -The executive branch won't touch it at this time. That branch would still need the support of the legislative branch. FAIL.
    -The Supreme Court is stacked with conservatives who won't dare even take the case. If they did, it would be for the wrong reasons. FAIL.

There will come a point to force it. This ain't it, like it or not.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

Man if he does go through with this study or whatever and talks with all the leaders of each service respectively. I'm 100% sure that they will say fuck no.

I think a don't ask don't tell policy is much better. At least until they change how certain things are done.

Take bootcamp(marine corps) for instance. Open showers. If you knew someone was gay and you took a shower next to him...would it make you feel uncomfortable? Now before you go "Well I am secure in my sexuality," stfu. If men and women took and open shower together there would be plenty of people uncomfortable.

Now take cold weather training and cold weather ops. That's two to a sleeping bag. That's enough to make someone uncomfortable when they ask...."Is that a flashlight or are you just happy?"

Also(at bootcamp) sexuality would be quite a large distraction. I spent 13 weeks without seeing a female. And you stop thinking about it after a few. And this is actually a bigger deal than most would think. As discipline is the backbone of any military organization.

And btw I'm not a republican. I am just trying to show some other viewpoints of the otherside that they don't normally here. Some people think gays aren't allowed just because of discrimination. Which I don't think is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
    Man if he does go through with this study or whatever and talks with all the leaders of each service respectively. I'm 100% sure that they will say fuck no.
    Of course they will. Change is never easy.

I think a don't ask don't tell policy is much better. At least until they change how certain things are done.
    Not to gays it isn't.

Take bootcamp(marine corps) for instance. Open showers. If you knew someone was gay and you took a shower next to him...would it make you feel uncomfortable? Now before you go "Well I am secure in my sexuality," stfu. If men and women took and open shower together there would be plenty of people uncomfortable.
    Again, the fear that straight guys will get raped in the shower? I hate to break it to you, but i think people have a little more self control than that.

Now take cold weather training and cold weather ops. That's two to a sleeping bag. That's enough to make someone uncomfortable when they ask...."Is that a flashlight or are you just happy?"
    Again, the fear that straight guys will be raped, that gay guys can't control themselves.

Also(at bootcamp) sexuality would be quite a large distraction. I spent 13 weeks without seeing a female. And you stop thinking about it after a few. And this is actually a bigger deal than most would think. As discipline is the backbone of any military organization.
    Yeah, as a gay guy i'm gonna tell you right now that I don't think about fucking every guy i see, ESPECIALLY people I work with. There's a couple I find cute, but guess what: I haven't raped any of them. It's called professionalism. Maybe straight men are unable to stop raping women? Is that it?

Other countries don't seem to have a problem with gays in the military. I suggest it's a societal problem with the US and with straight american men in general. They need to grow the fuck up.

And btw I'm not a republican. I am just trying to show some other viewpoints of the otherside that they don't normally here. Some people think gays aren't allowed just because of discrimination. Which I don't think is true.
    Yes, the fear of being raped or some other idiocy.

Let me put it another way: if i was in the military and had to do cold weather training and for some reason, i had to share a bag with a woman.. am I going to be afraid she'd try something? No. I would expect, as a soldier, she would behave in a professional manner. if she didnt, she's got a larger problem as a soldier.

*waits for Grimm to come in here and open a can of whoop ass*

eta: and there it is

SVZ

I don't see how it will change a lot of things...gay people won't just suddenly sprout feather boas, etc..it just means they can't be fired for being gay. I doubt many privates will come out to their group or whatever...just like many kids don't come out during high school. And I'm sure a lot of people who sign up won't declare they are gay.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

This has nothing to do with getting raped.

Getting raped by their eyes perhaps, but not even going that far..

So, say a woman was taking a shower. And some guy she doesn't know decided to shower next to her. I think she would feel uncomfortable.

You are taking this to quite the extreme, and the reason I said The the commanders of each service will say fuck no...is because I was at a meet and greet the other day for the Commandant. That issue was raised.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information