Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Banned torture photos allegedly show US soldier raping female Iraqi prisoner

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I don't have the heart to go to that site and see the photos, but do they show a rape taking place?
    Am too scared to click on it.

No, I haven't posted on GR regarding him except here in this thread. Maybe someone else did though.

But here are some links:

McChrystal's Men: Hunters — and Torturers?
    Stanley McChrystal's Torture History in Afghanistan and Iraq - Esquire

Stanley McChrystal: A History Of Condoning Torture?
    The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

The Tillman Family's McChrystal-Clear Story
    McChrystal's Pat Tillman Connection

McChrystal Wrong Man For The Job
    McChrystal Wrong Man for the Job | The Progressive

McChrystal, Cheney and the Nuances of Torture
    Stanley McChrystal and Future of Torture Debate - Cheney on Torture - Esquire

General's past looms in Senate scrutiny

McChrystal was Cheney's Chief Assassin | CommonDreams.org
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    No, I haven't posted on GR regarding him except here in this thread. Maybe someone else did though.

But here are some links:

McChrystal's Men: Hunters and Torturers?
    Stanley McChrystal's Torture History in Afghanistan and Iraq - Esquire

Stanley McChrystal: A History Of Condoning Torture?
    The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

The Tillman Family's McChrystal-Clear Story
    McChrystal's Pat Tillman Connection

McChrystal Wrong Man For The Job
    McChrystal Wrong Man for the Job | The Progressive

McChrystal, Cheney and the Nuances of Torture
    Stanley McChrystal and Future of Torture Debate - Cheney on Torture - Esquire

General's past looms in Senate scrutiny

McChrystal was Cheney's Chief Assassin | CommonDreams.org
    Thanks for the links! I'm off to read. Sorry to hijack the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Good idea for whom? He's a politician, half of what he does, like any other, is to dupe the public. If we don't have an actual reason that makes SENSE, then he's duping the public.
    True, Obama's a politician and he lies like the rest of them. But just because you don't agree with his reason doesn't mean it doesn't make sense or that he's duping people. And just because I agree with his reason doesn't mean he's telling the truth.

I may not agree with everything Obama's done, but he's done more that I agree with than I disagree with. And as long as that ratio stays the same I'm not going to say 'fuck him, he's a bad president.'

... frankly, because they aren't aware of the brutality.
    You really think that people, especially on the far right, who are still scared shitless and pissed about 9/11 care about the brutality? People in Congress, Dems and Republicans know, and they still don't want any investigations or prosecutions.

... They already are just as dirty since he's refusing to do so, AND making contradictory statements to pretzel the logic.
    Did Obama authorize torture? No? So, his hands aren't just as dirty. Even though he banned it, if he doesn't do any investigations then he becomes tainted by it. And you and I had this debate in another thread where I brought up the point that Obama's trying to balance out the law with national security, and you didn't think the security issue was important. That the law was all that counted, not both. But Obama's job is to uphold the Constitution and protect the country, not put one over the other.

And seeing as how Obama made it clear BEFORE he got elected that he had no interest in prosecuting anybody in the Bush administration I don't know why people are so shocked that he's not doing it.

... Since when is it civilized for said photos to never see the light of day in a courtroom because the public outrage is not there to push for it, and is being systematically supressed for that very purpose?
    Since when do rape photos ever show up OUTSIDE of a courtroom and become publically viewed? Which is what my point was, not that they shouldn't be seen in a courtroom.

... Again, My Lai. Without the public finding out, hearing the stories, seeing the evidence... NOTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN DONE. Same thing.
    I'm not saying people should NEVER find out anything. We should have a level of transparency. But what good is showing graphic rape photos to the public going to do? Some people will be horrified and others won't care. I actually had a conversation with a conservative I work with today about that and he doesn't believe there were any rapes and if their were he doesn't care. Just like he doesn't care about any detainees being tortured.

... No, when he does something demonstrably incorrect.

In time, I'm at work. It's a shorter list than what he's done wrong.

Just, as in in accordance with the law, international law, articles of war, the standards used by the planet tojudge what is right and wrong, barring any rejigging like "enhanced interrogation" replacing "torture"
    Like I said earlier, Obama's trying to balance out the law with national security, which is his job as president. Should he allow investigations and prosecutions of torture? Of course. But let's say he wanted to go full-steam ahead with prosecutions, with the Republicans and some moderate and conservative Dems against any prosecutions how far would the prosecutions get? Not too far.

Cali, I relunctantly clicked on the link that showed two photos... There's definitely some type of rape happening. I'm not too sure if I can post the details, though, it's too disturbing and depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Cali, I relunctantly clicked on the link that showed two photos... There's definitely some type of rape happening. I'm not too sure if I can post the details, though, it's too disturbing and depressing.
    That is awful. Is it by a US military member in uniform?? Does it say if the person was ever charged??

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    That is awful. Is it by a US military member in uniform?? Does it say if the person was ever charged??
    I've highlighted the bottom paragraph in white text for those who don't want to read. Read at your own risk.

They were all naked, except in one picture, where you can see legs and hands sticking out of a blanket. The legs of a younger looking MALE, according to the article were tied up, and the hands were inserting something in his backside. I can't tell if it's a dildo, or even a piece of fruit.. The other picture is of a younger looking person, I can't tell if it's male or female, but you can pretty much tell s/he was getting skull fucked. In that picture, there's two other sets of legs.

I saw nothing that said anything about the soldiers, if that's who they were, being charged. *shakes head*

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I've highlighted the bottom paragraph in white text for those who don't want to read. Read at your own risk.

They were all naked, except in one picture, where you can see legs and hands sticking out of a blanket. The legs of a younger looking MALE, according to the article were tied up, and the hands were inserting something in his backside. I can't tell if it's a dildo, or even a piece of fruit.. The other picture is of a younger looking person, I can't tell if it's male or female, but you can pretty much tell s/he was getting skull fucked. In that picture, there's two other sets of legs.

I saw nothing that said anything about the soldiers, if that's who they were, being charged. *shakes head*
    Thanks for the descrip. That's awful. Were the aggressors in US military uniform?

No, from what I saw, everyone was naked. I saw no uniforms.

Disgusting

They should be beyond ashamed, of themselves, their country, the tarnished 'honor' of being a soldier and the disgrace they've brought upon their fellow soldiers; ESPECIALLY the women that are along side them.

However this is not really news. Apparently, this was reported years ago (never heard of it myself though) but I'm glad its BACK on the news again, applying more pressure. If this gets enough newspaper, television and blog coverage (of course it'll probably just be "liberal" or "left leaning" outlets, but) more people will know about it.

If it takes showing a photograph to explain or prove how it is torture, I think that says a lot about the other side defending these tactics. The mere description should be horrifying enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    So, soldiers raping people is somehow condoned by Obama? Okay. Or it could be that the photos of Americans raping Iraqi women would be like throwing gasoline on the fire. Sort of like how that cartoon of Mohammed in Europe did a couple of years ago.

I'm more concerned about whether the soldiers who committed the rapes were ever charged, not about seeing the pictures of them doing it.
    Exactly. Why would I want to see a photograph of rape? That's horrendous and I'm to afraid my curiosity will get the best of me We just want them to be brought to justice, period. But if your curiosity peaks , there are a few photographs that were released a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I'm assuming these are additional pictures from 2004?

I'm inclined to believe General Taguba in the content of these photos.

What's going to be interesting if these photos see the light of day is the blind pro war crowd's attempt to spin it. It's one thing to show a picture of a detainee being made to stand hooded on a box and compare it side by side to a beheading (to show that "they" are far worse). However, what idiot is going to compare a picture of a graphic abuse of detainees and try to make it as if the 'enemy' is doing far worse?
    Yes. They can no longer hide behind 'well they pulled finger nails off of people!' Hell they still don't think waterboarding is torture ('pouring water on people's faces!'). I'd like to see them get their way out of this one. I didn't know about Seymour Hersh. He's a good man for the journalist integrity he has done. AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE WHAT ELISABETH HASSELBACK FROM THE VIEW DEFEND THIS, AND/OR REFER IT TO 'ENHANCED INTERROGATION TECHNIQUES'. Oh yeah? Raping a child in front of their parents to get them to talk? I REALLY HOPE THEY DISCUSS THIS ON THE VIEW.

Speaking of the "Christian" Right who undoubtedly shrug this off, ignore them. These are real Christians:

National Religious Campaign Against Torture - June 11 Religious Public Witness

A RELIGIOUS PUBLIC WITNESS IN WASHINGTON, DC
    Thursday, June 11, 2009

Noon - 1:30 PM

The National Religious Campaign Against Torture will sponsor a major religious public event on June 11 in front of the White House asking President Obama to create a Commission of Inquiry. Join religious leaders and people of faith from across the country to speak out powerfully to the need for a full accounting of U.S.-sponsored torture since 9/11.
    Press Conference at the National Press Club followed by
    Gathering in Lafayette Park at NOON, across from the White House
    (Program to begin at 12:15 p.m.)
    Ending with a Religious Witness on Pennsylvania Avenue
    (Finishing by 1:30 p.m.)
    Tell us you’re coming! Click here.
    Download a color flier here.
    Download a black/white flier here.
    Download a bulletin insert: Prayer to mark Torture Awareness Month
    The event will feature national heads of faith groups and other senior religious leaders.
    The following religious leaders have already committed to being with us:
    • The Rev. Dr. John Thomas, General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ
    • Rabbi Steve Gutow, Executive Director of the Jewish Council for Public Affairs
    • Rev. William Sinkford, President of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations
    • Marie Dennis, Co-President, Pax Christi International (the Catholic Peace Movement)
    • Dr. Ingrid Mattson, President of the Islamic Society of North America
    • Archbishop Michael Seneco, Presiding Bishop of the North American Old Catholic Church
    • Rev. Dr. Michael Kinnamon, General Secretary of the National Council of Churches
    • Archbishop Vicken Aykazian, Legate of the Armenian Church in America
    NRCAT is also working to bring heads of regional religious bodies (e.g. bishops) to DC for this event. Please contact us with information about senior religious leaders who may want to participate with these national leaders on June 11.
    To advertise the June 11 event, NRCAT has created a web sticker which you can view on our web site. The messages on the web sticker rotate. Please put it on your organization’s web site. Clicking on the web sticker takes you to our page on the June 11 event.
    Your web manager should click here for the code. If you have any difficulty using the web sticker, please call us at 202-547-1920. Unfortunately you will not see it rotate either on emails or on a Word document. We are working on that technical challenge now. At this point, just ask your web manager to put it on the web site. Thank you so much for anything you can do to promote the June 11 event.

Watch this page for more details in the coming weeks.
    But please make plans NOW to join religious leaders and people of faith at the White House on June 11. Help us make visible – to the White House and the nation – the religious community’s support for a Commission of Inquiry that will provide an accounting of U.S.-sponsored torture policies and practices since 9/11 so that necessary safeguards can be put into place to assure that torture never happens again.
    Last edited by bychance; May 31st, 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information