Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad credit sidelines some jobless workers

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

This is really unfair as what if you are a reliable person who works hard, is loyal to your employer and honest but have been left wih a damaged credit history thanks to the actions of someone else, such as a former spouse? What if it was something that you did yourself but have since been trying to get your shit together to pay everything off and get yourself back on the right track? Something like that is one hell of an incentive to stay in your job and not chop and change or take the piss with regular sickies. A credit report just gives a black and white print out of past circumstances without the nitty gritty details of how you ended up in that position or what kind of person you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I agree that coprorations have too much control. Where do they get the right to check credit history if the job does not entail anything to do with finance? It goes along the lines of HMO's demanding people take tests to see if they carry a breast cancer gene or some other gene that might, possibly, if the stars all align, cause that person to develop an illness. It's all getting a bit out of control.
    Most corps (like mine) check it, but unless it screams "deadbeat forever" they hire anyway. Just like the drug screen test-some recreational use was allowed & overlooked. We didn't tell anyone that,of course. Real druggies just never showed up for the test a lot of time. Corps are well aware they would have zero employees if they did not make allowances, so they do. More than you'd think! This is not something new-this has been done by most for years.
    Any of you worried about this, just remember a lot of people are in the same boat. Corporations take all of it into account. The only iron-clad rule for hiring-no one was allowed to be hired that had been convicted of a felony. No exceptions.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Most corps (like mine) check it, but unless it screams "deadbeat forever" they hire anyway. Just like the drug screen test-some recreational use was allowed & overlooked. We didn't tell anyone that,of course. Real druggies just never showed up for the test a lot of time. Corps are well aware they would have zero employees if they did not make allowances, so they do. More than you'd think! This is not something new-this has been done by most for years.
    Any of you worried about this, just remember a lot of people are in the same boat. Corporations take all of it into account. The only iron-clad rule for hiring-no one was allowed to be hired that had been convicted of a felony. No exceptions.
    One of my former bosses ran a security firm, not a corporation, and he would hire people with felony convictions left and right. He got around the state finding out about it because he would just 'forget' to submit their fingerprints to the state, which he was required by law to do. He was a real winner.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    One of my former bosses ran a security firm, not a corporation, and he would hire people with felony convictions left and right. He got around the state finding out about it because he would just 'forget' to submit their fingerprints to the state, which he was required by law to do. He was a real winner.
    Sounds like a security company I worked for. Many guards were felons, and even non-felons weren't properly licensed.

Elite Member

They are doing it because they can. It's about exerting control.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    They are doing it because they can. It's about exerting control.
    Exactly. And they're doing it because we LET THEM.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Guess he didn't trouble himself with worrying about the safety of his employees.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Guess he didn't trouble himself with worrying about the safety of his employees.
    And he wasn't concerned with the safety of his clients, either. It was all about the money.

I think that unless you are to work directly with money in any capacity or if you are to work for the government, then you should just not have to have your credit checked at all.

If I had a company and if it did not pertain to anything with finance in any way or with the government, then I would not do credit checks for crap.

It is more important, to me anyway, to make sure that the person you are to hire has a clean background. I could care less if someone has student loan debt or something.

What is the lessor of two evils? A bad background? Or, bad credit?

The way the economy is, a fair amount of companies are going to have to start thinking of a thing or two with all of this.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    We were just talking about this on a listserv I belong to for freelance medical writers. Apparently it's becoming more common for employers to do credit checks, even for freelancers. That is such bullshit.

Especially given that almost every freelancer I know has war stories about CLIENTS who won't pay up.
    Freelancers having their credit histories checked? For what reason in the world? Insane.

So how is an ex-con supposed to get her or his life back on track if no one will hire them?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

One of the reasons people have credit issues is not because they're "deadbeats" but because they don't have a job. How the hell are they supposed to get out of that loop?

I dont know if theyre supposed to. I wonder the same about convicts who cant get jobs anywhere. You did the crime, served the time, why cant you get a job afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post

So how is an ex-con supposed to get her or his life back on track if no one will hire them?
    A lot of smaller businesses get some sort of incentive to hire them. But it is hard. But would you want one driving the Heathens around or reading your electric meter?

Quote Originally Posted by NVash View Post
    I dont know if theyre supposed to. I wonder the same about convicts who cant get jobs anywhere. You did the crime, served the time, why cant you get a job afterwards?
    I always wonder the same thing.

There was an article in the Washington Post a couple weeks ago that talked about the Census Bureau not disqualifying ex-felons from being Field Representatives for the Census. Of course, that doesn't exactly mean they're going to be hired, but I liked the fact that there was a job possibility for them. The article interviewed one or two ex-convicts, and I felt sorry for them. They were honestly just trying to get any job they could, and people would just immediately discount them once they found out about their record.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

A lot of smaller businesses get some sort of incentive to hire them. But it is hard. But would you want one driving the Heathens around or reading your electric meter?
    Why would I care if a con reads my electric meter?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information