Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

A*O

Default Re: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

The tragedy of this whole situation is that the 'people' who planned and initiated this war, correction, 'liberation' obviously put absolutely ZERO thought into the likely repercussions. Their focus was on removing Saddam at whatever cost rather than thinking through the aftermath. This whole debacle was entirely and depressingly predictable. "Those who don't learn the lessons of History are doomed to repeat them".
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

Well they did put thought in to it, it was just realisitic. The original plan was to take out some targets, and get out. And it's been what like nearing half a decade now?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    The tragedy of this whole situation is that the 'people' who planned and initiated this war, correction, 'liberation' obviously put absolutely ZERO thought into the likely repercussions. Their focus was on removing Saddam at whatever cost rather than thinking through the aftermath. This whole debacle was entirely and depressingly predictable. "Those who don't learn the lessons of History are doomed to repeat them".

Exactly.

Which is why I told the Marine recruiter, who kept calling my house trying to ensnare my 17 year-old daughter, that he needed to stop calling my house because she'd join the Marines over my dead body. This administration has no qualms whatsoever in sacrificing my child for their selfish grandiosity.

High schools here apparently give out names, addresses & phone numbers of seniors to military recruiters. It's disgusting. I would fight tooth & nail against my child joining under present circumstances.

Because you know what? If you JOIN, and they send you to war, you GO.

Here's an idea: how about this lieutenant paying back the Army every cent he's been paid so far, & getting excused from the war? Or does he want to be paid for all that combat training even though he refuses to use it?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMonkey
    While I really supported the war when it first started, I am starting to rapidly think it is a huge Vietnam style mistake. Mostly due to the fact that politicians are again running the war, the press is given way too much leeway and bottom line as it stands right now, it appears un-winnable. And besides that, the entire area will sink into all out civil-war the minute we leave if it isn't truly already.

We should wash our hands of the entire area and leave. I'm all for defending America, but at the same time I do not think Americans should be shedding their blood for nothing, and right now the average Iraqi hates our guts so I see no reason for Americans to die for them.
    How has the "press been given too much leeway?" Bush has been the least accessible president to the press of any president in modern history, including his dad, Nixon and even ol' Ronnie. The embedding process in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan has served to control virtually all U.S. media as few individual reporters have the funds or the protection necessary to function independently. More journalists have been killed in Iraq -- several by American troops -- than even Bosnia. And given that the vast majority of media outlets in the U.S. are owned by right-wing monopolies and conglomerates, any reporters who dare veer from the "company" line are quickly punished. No dissent allowed.

It is a brave, and rare journalist indeed who tries to find something beyond the military press releases that Bush & Co. would have us believe as fact. According to them, Iraq is a democracy, everything is under control, and Halliburton (can Dick Cheney say conflict of interest) isn't reaping obscene profits on the backs of American taxpayers.

As a journalist who follows these things carefully, I would really like to see some proof of the statement you made about the press. There is a video link in the politics section that anybody who wants to see the day-to-day operations of the press, and life for ordinary citizens in Iraq, should watch. It's about an hour long but very enlightening. It is far more objective than anything you are going to see from any media outlet, whatever their bias.

FYI, no Iraqi asked any American to die for them. You can thank Bush's think tank for that special privilege. Journalists are not even allowed to cover the funerals of American servicemen, much less honour them. Freedom of the press is a two-way street -- you don't get to control the access and the information forever, then cry foul when you've screwed things up and BLAME the press for it. Hello?

A*O

I've posted this pic elsewhere, but it conveys such a powerful message I'll put it here too. It's not just the poignancy of the serviceman's flag-draped casket being given all due solemn respect by his comrades, it's the expressions on the faces of the civilians who are being confronted with the reality of this mess, probably for the first time because of the US Govt's media blackout on these images, that really brings the message home.

Source: Rocky Mountain News (?)
    Dame Edna Everage

Yes, it's a great shot. One of those instances when a picture is truly worth a 1,000 words.

Funny thing about that shot is the people in the windows look like they were added in later.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Before I became an astronaut, I almost held several positions. Thus, a few observations:

What I enjoyed most about practically being a trauma surgeon was having the option to choose which patients I would not treat, especially those I perceived as posing a danger to my health: e.g., the HIV-positive; those infected with Staph; those who had "triaged out," being beyond the help of even the most "heroic of measures," as the potential for subsequent postmortem litigation loomed large.

What I enjoyed most about practically being a teacher was having the option to choose which students I would not teach, especially those who I perceived as posing a danger to my career and reputation as a certified Master Educator: e.g., those who came to me with "less than a full lunch box"; those who had no parental involvement let alone support at home; those that were physically or psychologically impaired and were never going to "make it to Princeton" with their classmates regardless of how much of myself, time, money, and other resources were poured into them.

What I enjoyed most about practically being a police officer was having the option to choose which calls I would not respond to, especially those calls I perceived as posing a danger to my personal safety and reputation as "a cop whom everyone liked": e.g., domestic/spousal disputes; sexual assaults; robberies and assaults & batteries "in progress," as the potential for me to get injured was huge, PLUS the potential for a lawsuit in the event that I perceived the threat to justify my using lethal force to preserve the life of myself or another . . . well who needs that stress, right?

What I enjoy most about being a responsible, educated adult is having the option to make informed choices as to which path(s) I will and will not follow in my life.

(Fade to Don Corleone and Bonasera)

(Don Corleone voice)
    Ours is a VOLUNTEER military. Not a single American is in uniform as the result of having been conscripted. My boy, Michael, perhaps you heard, volunteered for the Marines. An officer. Captain. A good boy, my Mikey.

(Points to photo on desk; smiles admiringly.)

But that is another story for another time.

While each of those who wear his/her country's uniform may or may not have volunteered for the mission, each and every one volunteered for the vocation: each Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, Guardsman, and Reservist CHOSE to raise his/her hand, take the oath, and made a promise to follow his/her orders. There never has been and there is to this day no "except for the orders I disagree therewith" clause.

So, whether by the grace of youthful ignorance, an ill perceived vision of opportunity, or out of a genuine sense of truly heartfelt idealism, duty, or patriotism, our military men and women are as such by their own volition.

Some will tell you today that they chose to "dance with the devil himself" yesterday. What is important is that at the time--"yesterday"--they felt otherwise: the potential benefits outweighed the potential risks. They placed their bet and they rolled the dice. That's life, and that's how life works. Stop whining.

So, please I ask that you remember always that it was you--you--who came to me--to me--not I who came to you, and that it was you--yes, you--who volunteered to make a promise that I did not ask you to make, anymore than I asked you to come to me in the first place. Capiche?

I know this is hard. That is why so few take up this cross, so to speak. That is why I spoke to you of this when you first came to me to ask a favor: "Someday - and that day may never come - I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day."

That day has come, and that day is today. "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business." That's the way of the world.

Do not renege on your promise to me and the family. That would break my heart, and where you going to go once you've broken your promise to your family? What are you going to do when you've broken your family's heart?

Capiche?

(Leans and reaches across desk; grasps cheek between thumb and forefinger; wiggles cheek; two loving soft slaps to same cheek as he leans back in chair.)

This is good. I am glad that we could come to an understanding. Now go back to your job and think of this no more.

These kids. Achhh.

Vi
    Last edited by ultrafabviolet; June 8th, 2006 at 05:03 PM.
    Don't be ridiculous, Stephen: wearing a helmet does not make it "safe," and the answer is still "no."

I wish I could speak entirely through metaphor.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra. Darmok on the ocean. Jalad, his eyes unfurled.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    Funny thing about that shot is the people in the windows look like they were added in later.
    That's exactly what I thought. hmm go figure.

We agree on something?

Creepy.

Amazing post, Vi. Oughtta be published somewhere.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPool
    That's exactly what I thought. hmm go figure.
    Oh Gawd - another conspiracy Even if the pic has been photoshopped or whatever, the message remains the same.
    Dame Edna Everage

The Rocky Mountain News is a reputable, award-winning newspaper. It is not in the habit of using photoshopped pictures, which would be unethical.

Not to mention the people shown might recognize themselves and raise a fuss, understandably.

Well i said it "looks" like they were added in later, not that they actually were. They just look silly pressed up against the glass, it almost looks like an advertisement except there's nothing funny going on beneath them.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information