Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

Default Re: Army lieutenant refuses to go to Iraq

I care very much about the issues, otherwise I wouldn't get so frothing/foaming mad.

P.s. Please don't trot out the tired refrain of "you're just jealous!".. do you know how silly that is? It's the standard troll line when you have nothing else to use.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Where exactly is the line drawn? Some people think that the US being in Iraq is an illegal invasion and could construe soldiers following orders there as war crimes. What about Nazi soldiers who had followed orders and then were convicted of war crimes? It has been established in International law that at some point 'just following orders' or 'doing your duty' is just not enough and is not an excuse .There is a line that can be crossed. And yes the US military has a history of committing some war crimes (My Lai, anyone?).

This is how you react when you can't get someone to agree with you - accuse the other person of being stupid. You're not as sophisticated as you may think.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I care very much about the issues, otherwise I wouldn't get so frothing/foaming mad.

P.s. Please don't trot out the tired refrain of "you're just jealous!".. do you know how silly that is? It's the standard troll line when you have nothing else to use.

No, i accuse the other person of using stupid tactics. I didn't call YOU stupid.

Saying I'm jealous of the US *is* stupid, and it's also tired, and is indicative of being barren of other ideas.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Where exactly is the line drawn?
    This conundrum is a good reason why the lieutenant's actions are drawing such criticism. If it's acceptable for him to refuse duty based on his conscience, then it's acceptable for anyone to do the same, regardless of circumstances. We would have a military comprised of folks who can balk at any time, conceivably for trivial reasons.

I will admit my complete ignorance when it comes to the legalities of war. Sojita, you may have a good point about this war possibly being illegal, and I will acknowledge that this possibility casts a different perspective on things.

I would have to be convinced that the war IS illegal, by the criteria I know nothing of, and not that just some people think it is. Maybe someone more informed than I could shed some light.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita
    Where exactly is the line drawn? Some people think that the US being in Iraq is an illegal invasion and could construe soldiers following orders there as war crimes. What about Nazi soldiers who had followed orders and then were convicted of war crimes? It has been established in International law that at some point 'just following orders' or 'doing your duty' is just not enough and is not an excuse .There is a line that can be crossed. And yes the US military has a history of committing some war crimes (My Lai, anyone?).
    Ths US military will never give in to "international law". What are you going to do when the draft comes back? If you start excercising now you might not hate boot camp so much. Just think, a year or two from now, you could be sitting pretty in a war zone. What will you say then? Or will you chicken out and run to Canada?

I don't consider being bolting to Canada a cowardly option when the other is being conscripted AGAINST YOUR WILL into a military fighting an illegal war.

You have serious issues if you think forcing people to fight wars of convenience is anything near normal.

Ths US military will never give in to "international law".
    yet amazingly, the US military screams its head off about the treatment of POW's adhering to the very international laws it spits on.

I'll say it again, I LOVE HYPOCRISY!

Well we're just a little bit better than the international community.

kidding!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPool
    Ths US military will never give in to "international law".
    See: "Reasons Why The US Is Often Internationally Disliked".

Ths US military will never give in to "international law". What are you going to do when the draft comes back? If you start excercising now you might not hate boot camp so much. Just think, a year or two from now, you could be sitting pretty in a war zone. What will you say then? Or will you chicken out and run to Canada?
    sorry honey but the draft limit is going to be 42 and I turn 43 in 13 days, (censored)!!! I did my part by at least registering for selective service back in the day and my family has done it's part as my oldest bro was in the army so too bad there goes your little theory...it holds about as much water as the rest of your arguments..about as much as a colander would!

*anyway the dumbass US military does not want homos to serve, or did you forget about that little bit of bigotry?*

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    See: "Reasons Why The US Is Often Internationally Disliked".
    It is often lonely at the top. You just can't accept that the US military is hunting down -one by one- the monsters who do the bidding for the islamo-facists and that really upsets you for some reason.

The US should probably stop CREATING the monsters it then has to hunt down later, using the christo-fascists as a tool.

There's a thought. A pre-emptive strategy almost.

Religious fundamentalism is the same, no matter what religion. Right now, the Christofascists are hunting down the Islamofascists, each a product of the other.

Hilarious, except TENS OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE DIE HAVING BEEN CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE.

It is often lonely at the top. You just can't accept that the US military is hunting down -one by one- the monsters who do the bidding for the islamo-facists and that really upsets you for some reason.
    Where's Osama then? And Saddam led a secular government, so you can't say he's an islamo-fascist. A facist yes, but not an Islamic one. And the truth is that all the real islamo-fascists are getting off scot-free because your bloody government doesn't want to harm oil ties, so everybody leading the real terrorist groups in Saudi Arabia have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmygoodness
    Where's Osama then? And Saddam led a secular government, so you can't say he's an islamo-fascist. A facist yes, but not an Islamic one. And the truth is that all the real islamo-fascists are getting off scot-free because your bloody government doesn't want to harm oil ties, so everybody leading the real terrorist groups in Saudi Arabia have nothing to worry about.
    It's a big doo sandwich and we all gotta take a bite.

^^ That doesn't even make sense.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information