Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Arkansas Adopts a Ban on Abortions After 12 Weeks

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    that's true, but that happens "naturally" ie, without medical intervention. that is not the same as abortion.

yes, it is actually. it's not the same as an induced abortion.

miscarriages are spontaneous abortions. it's all technically abortion, just different types.
    sluce likes this.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Senator Jason Rapert, a Republican, who compared the more than 50 million abortions in the United States since the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision to the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide.

above is a quote from the article, and another poster talked about how ridiculous it was to compare aborted zygotes and fetuses to actual living people. my point is zygotes are never aborted in an abortion clinic, and those are the type of abortions this article is referencing.

^^zygotes are never aborted. a zygote is one cell........it is what is formed when the sperm and egg combine. embryos and fetuses are aborted.
    Tell it to the religious zealots.

A dirty, little secret in the pharmaceutical world is that the Pill if taken in a certain way can actually work AFTER conception by preventing the embryo from implanting on the uterine wall. In other words, the pill can cause the baby to die. This is simply abortion by another name.

The “Morning After” Pill is nothing more than the regular birth control pill taken in massive dosage to insure that the embryo will not implant.

When taken as prescribed (every day) the birth control pill prevents conception by: 1. usually preventing ovulation, and 2. thickening cervical mucous to delay/interfere with sperm entry through the cervix.

If the pill fails to prevent ovulation and conception, it prevents the fertilized egg from growing through "changes in the endometrium which reduce the likelihood of implantation" (a form of abortion).

When taken as a “morning after pill” the mechanism of action is to prevent implantation of a conceptus (zygote, the fertilized egg). Prevention of implantation can also be a factor in preventing pregnancy in those women who forget to take the pill every day, and therefore ovulate. Ovulation can occasionally occur even when a woman never misses a pill [between 1 and 3 of very 100 women get pregnant while on the pill, and "research indicates that figure may be considerably higher, up to 4% for 'good compliers' and 8% for 'poor compliers'" (Potter, "How Effective Are Contraceptives?" Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996; 135:13S-23S.)].

Although implantation prevention is apparently not the mechanism of action for the vast majority of women, especially for those who take the pill as prescribed, women who take birth control pills do risk the chance of aborting (killing) their unborn child.
    Can birth control pills kill unborn babies?
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I'll tell it to anyone!

Ironically, they would have a better argument if they used accurate terminology. in general, the more advanced the developing embryo is, the more "sorry" people tend to feel for destroying it. there would be more sympathy for a multi-celled blastocyst vs. a one celled zygote. i think the lesson here is to use science, not politicians or religious zealots or even regular pro/anti abortion groups for information. and the morning after pill is different from an abortion. a voluntary abortion can only be performed after a pregnancy is detected.......and a pregnancy is detected only after the blastocyst imbeds in the uterine wall. And that is 6-7 days after fertilization (when a zygote is formed).

^^IMO, the lesson should be to let women decide what they want to do with their bodies, without interference from anyone.
    Kittylady likes this.

A*O

An IUD works by preventing implantation (only mine didnt lol) so technically that's an abortion too so some zealots ban IUDs as well. I think everyone would agree that abortions should happen as early as possible but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances so I'd like the choice please.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

i knew there was a birth control method that employed the same technique......thanks a*o. i was trying to think of it, but too lazy to look it up.

and constance, a woman is able to do what she wants, but i think she should be informed as well. Sometimes people like to think of abortions as destroying a zygote, or something with only a few cells. that is simply not true. (unless of course we revert back to witchcurl's argument, but I am not referring to spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) or failure of the zygote to continue to divide. i am talking about when a woman chooses to abort a pregnancy).

sorry, but that is incorrect. a zygote is never aborted. the morning after pill will prevent a blastocyst from attaching, and a blastocyst is 70-100 cells.

i have too much knowledge of this sort of stuff from a biology major + infertility
    Yeah, we KNOW its not right, I SAID its the position taken by the religious right.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yeah, we KNOW its not right, I SAID its the position taken by the religious right.
    OKAY, i'm not sure why you are arguing (or introducing) a point used by the religious right, when you KNOW it's not correct, and it doesn't seem to support the original poster's argument either.

i knew there was a birth control method that employed the same technique......thanks a*o. i was trying to think of it, but too lazy to look it up.

and constance, a woman is able to do what she wants, but i think she should be informed as well. Sometimes people like to think of abortions as destroying a zygote, or something with only a few cells. that is simply not true. (unless of course we revert back to witchcurl's argument, but I am not referring to spontaneous abortions (miscarriages) or failure of the zygote to continue to divide. i am talking about when a woman chooses to abort a pregnancy).
    Yes, women are still able to do what they want, for now. But not if it was up to Rapert and his ilk. When it comes from pro-life groups, educating women is merely an attempt to guilt them into reconsidering their abortion. And amounts to attempting to convince women all fetuses are basically fully formed babies which they are murdering by having a termination. Case in point, enforced ultrasounds to force women to look at the fetus, listen to the heartbeat, etc. Women should be able to have terminations without being force-fed all of the above, unless they seek out the information.

The main problem is that some old men in positions of power in many states simply cannot grasp a woman being able to make their own decision based on that womans personal situation with no regrets. Because women are so stupid dontchaknow.
    I am sorry abortions were not around over 50 years ago, Somehow I think a lot on these jack asses would have been aborted.
    rockchick likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Oh abortions were around then only they were highly illegal, dangerous and often led to mother AND foetus dying a slow, painful death.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh abortions were around then only they were highly illegal, dangerous and often led to mother AND foetus dying a slow, painful death.
    Just exactly why they didn't get one. Abortions have been around since right after Eve, but now that women have a safe choice these bozos will not stop trying. Like their daughter wouldn't be first in line and probably are.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'd like to see these guys rally as hard against vasectomies, as they do birth control and abortions. If they care about the unborn children so much.
    Kittylady likes this.

There were safe abortions available 50 years ago, if you had the money or influence to find a doctor willing to call it a D&C. Abortion rights have never really been about the families of legislators.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information