Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill

great article on the reality of immigration and the stupidity of the arizona law.

Shameless Arizona Immigration Bill Codifies Xenophobia, Racial Profiling

By JordanPublished: 04/20/2010 at 2:30 pm

Arizona’s legislature has passed a sweeping immigration bill that will reinstitute Jim Crow-style laws and codify the xenophobia of the bigots who make up the state’s Minutemen militia. The bill as passed will give law enforcement the ability to ascertain the immigration status of anyone they deem suspect, regardless of whether they have committed any other crime. Let’s be clear: this measure wasn’t passed as a blanket anti-immigration law; it was passed as an anti-Latino law. The implications of racial profiling are obvious to any sane person, but we are not dealing with ration and logic. We are dealing with hatred and racism, fueled by politicians who willfully spread lies, and buffeted by groups so blinded by xenophobia that they lack even the most basic compassion for their fellow man.
    For starters, the overwhelming majority of illegal immigrants are not criminals; they are men and women struggling to better their lives and the lives of their children. Making the decision to leave behind one’s homeland to live in a foreign country widely acknowledged outside its borders as racist and anti-foreignor takes more courage and more resolve than any of these yellow-bellied legislators and their callous supporters could ever muster. They always forget that immigrants who work here also pay rent here, buy gas here, shop here, and thus pay taxes here. Study after study shows that the myth of immigrants draining the coffers of our social welfare systems is simply that– a myth. Far more is put into the system than is taken out, including not only taxes but also cheap labor, which provides a necessary if unacknowledged chunk of our national economic well-being. Many immigrants have false documents, which means that their wages have all the state and federal taxes withheld after every paycheck. Those who send money back home to Mexico or elsewhere finds its way back into the U.S. economy, either through purchases at Wal-Mart (Mexico’s largest retailer,) chain stores and restaurants like McDonalds, KFC, Blockbuster, and Applebees, ticket sales for Hollywood movies, or even gas from Mexico’s only gas company, the state-run monopoly Pemex, which sends its petroleum to the United States for refining.

Another myth spread by xenophobic politicians and fear-mongers is the idea of “securing our borders.” This Conservative squawking point is an absurd impossibility. Including both land and sea, the United States of America has over 19,857 miles of border, including the world’s longest with Canada, and the world’s busiest crossing, at San Ysidro between San Diego and Tijuana. Border fences and other nominal protective measures are little more than a show for paranoid Americans and machista security hawks.
    Immigrants are not here illegally because they want to subvert the well-being of our nation, but rather because our system of legal immigration is a monstrosity of injustice and inefficiency, often run by fat-cat bureaucrats whose snide contempt for foreignors is palpable. They scowl as they stamp “Rejected” on visa requests for seniors to travel to the U.S. for life-saving medical procedures, condemning someone’s mother, grandmother, wife, and neighbor to certain death. And yet the lines at U.S. embassies and consulates stretch several blocks every single day, with hopeful families who have often spent more than a month’s wage in the application process for a slim chance to legally migrate here. The requirements for survival, and the desire to build a better future for themselves and their progeny, often necessitate the less-preferred method of coming here illegally, with the hope that in the future, sanity and justice might prevail.

Last Saturday morning, at a pro-immigrant rally in Los Angeles, a group of approximately 50 neo-Nazi white supremacists showed up to harass the protestors, waving Nazi and American flags and shouting racial and anti-Semitic epithets. I do not doubt that they are a fringe group, as most rational, enlightened people who have read a scrap of history and who have a shred of decency would never idolize Hitler or his movement. And yet it cannot be denied that they are merely a small, vocal portion of a much larger group with similar xenophobic sentiments, who may refrain from cursing and distasteful language, but instead clothe their bias in words like “secure borders” and “illegal aliens.” When the goals of the Republican party in Arizona are in sync with the desires of neo-Nazis, something is gravely wrong. It is not hard to peer beneath their rhetoric and see the ugly face of hatred looming large.
    And finally, when you look past the talking points, the propaganda, the sterile terminology, you find that this is an issue dealing with human beings and their well-being. It is about families who are our neighbors, our co-workers, our friends and lovers. They are our brothers and sisters. How is it that Americans can justify hundreds of billions of dollars for the machines of war, hundreds of billions of dollar for infrastructure in far-flung regions of the world, yet cannot extend their sympathies to those living amongst us? How can we deny them the ability to provide for their children, deny them safety and security for their children, deny them the basic respect that all humanity deserves? How can we claim to be a Christian nation yet refuse to share our bounty with those who, regardless of whether they hold a piece of paper, are members of our community and are deserving of the justice and decency of which we all claim to be so proud?

Latinos have surpassed African-Americans as the largest minority group in this country. Have me made so much progress in reversing racial profiling towards blacks only to replace it with the same evil propagated against the new biggest minority? In the year 2010, we are about to subjugate over 45 million people, many of them citizens, to second-class status. The law will require immigrants to always carry their papers with them, or face the consequences. Are the parallels with Nazi armbands completely lost on these people?
    Wake up America! Cutting off a group of people, shutting them out of civic participation, and removing the protection and success that comes with social integration is what turns people to other methods for survival, and is what destroys their will to preserve a system that completely disregards, and actively subverts, their well-being. For those with Latino friends, family members, collegues, neighbors, confidantes and lovers, it is time to stand up against hatred, time to reach out to one another, and time to speak out against the archaic xenophobia of the “Hell no you can’t” Republican party and their Conservative supporters, who would shackle the lot of us if we let them have their way.
    (From CNN and Blogdowntown.com)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ Good article. I have to say, I really don't like the term 'illegal aliens'.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    The Spanish were in Florida long before English speakers.

How do you know which ones are here legally and which ones aren't? Should someone born in the US who happens to have dark skin have to show papers every time an idiot cop gets a funny feeling about him?
    Now, don't you know that anyone not in possession lily white skin, hopefully paired with blue eyes and blond hair, is immediately suspicious? Silly you.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Probably showing my age here but I keep thinking of THIS

I must admit that you all are right. Obviously my mind didn't automatically go to "racial profiling", just to the enforcement of the current law. Now that I read more about it, it does seem that way, so I can't throw my support behind it.

BUT I think the American public is sick of no one offering solutions. Obviously this one isn't the correct one, but we need some sort of immigration reform. I didn't realize the outright need until I moved to California. I'm in favor of making illegal immigrants pay a heavy fine, and then have them fill out immigration papers for legality and pay to become American residents like everyone else. If they pass their background criminal checks and get their vaccinations like everyone else, then America is open to them just like everyone else. I don't think this can go unheeded. It's incredibly, incredibly unfair to legal immigrants and to American citizens. I want them to immigrate, but I want them to do it the correct way. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

^^That's not a bad solution. I figure most who have risked their lives to get to America probably want to contribute. Not all, mind you, but then not all legal immigrant want to contribute either. Give them legal status and you solve a host of problems. I hate when I hear people (not anyone here in particular but relatives, friends, etc) say that all the illegals want to come and sponge off the Americans. It's simply not true and if they had legal channels that didn't take half their adulthood they'd probably use them.
    Also, I do think Americans would be seriously surprised as to just how much costs of restaurants and other food-related industry would rise. Anthony Bourdain has written a lot about this, particularly when it comes to the northeast and I think he's spot on.
    January, write it up and send it to Obama. Eery voice and opinion should at least try to be heard. I think it's a pretty good idea.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I must admit that you all are right. Obviously my mind didn't automatically go to "racial profiling", just to the enforcement of the current law. Now that I read more about it, it does seem that way, so I can't throw my support behind it.

BUT I think the American public is sick of no one offering solutions. Obviously this one isn't the correct one, but we need some sort of immigration reform. I didn't realize the outright need until I moved to California. I'm in favor of making illegal immigrants pay a heavy fine, and then have them fill out immigration papers for legality and pay to become American residents like everyone else. If they pass their background criminal checks and get their vaccinations like everyone else, then America is open to them just like everyone else. I don't think this can go unheeded. It's incredibly, incredibly unfair to legal immigrants and to American citizens. I want them to immigrate, but I want them to do it the correct way. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.
    Right on!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I should say something about criminal checks. Certainly murder, rape and other serious crimes should bar anyone from entering the country but other, more minor things should be weighed out. I mean, if some kid got done for a few joints when he was 17 but is now 30 and living a good life then that shouldn't really count against him. Does that make sense?

--Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Various immigration reform plans have been offered by both sides. More progressive ones propose some type of pathway or process for those who are found to be here illegally to apply for citizenship, taking into account the years they've already been here. Many people dislike these plans because they say they offer 'amnesty' to people who have broken the law just by being here.

Repubs like John McCain have proposed reform packages but have been abandoned their stance for political reasons. It is a shame because it is such a problem, and yet such an opportunity for us to finally blaze a trail forward.

No matter how many laws you have on the books, it's not really going to make a great deal of change. If it makes more financial sense to come here, legally or illegally, people will do it regardless of risk. The recent downturn in the ecomony did more to reduce the influx of people coming over the borders than any bit of legislation. If you want to work here, there should be a much easier way of making that happen that also can filter out the bad guys.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    You really believe the people standing in front of Home Depot are in this country legally? LOL
    Wow.. just wow. Remind me never to hang around Home Depot.. I heard some cops can 'smell' the Mexican in people.

Yeaaaaaaaah.

American-born truck driver handcuffed in Arizona for driving without his birth certificate

PHOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

He tells 3TV, “I don't think it's correct, if I have to take my birth certificate with me all the time.”

3TV caught up with Abdon after he was released from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in central Phoenix. He and his wife, Jackie, are still upset about what happened to him.

Jackie tells 3TV, “It's still something awful to be targeted. I can't even imagine what he felt, people watching like he was some type of criminal.”

Abdon was told he did not have enough paperwork on him when he pulled into a weigh station to have his commercial truck checked. He provided his commercial driver’s license and a social security number but ended up handcuffed.

An agent called his wife and she had to leave work to drive home and grab other documents like his birth certificate.

Jackie explains, “I have his social security card as well and mine. He's legit. It's the first time it's ever happened.”

Both were born in the United States and say they are now both infuriated that keeping important documents safely at home is no longer an option.

Jackie says, “It doesn't feel like it's a good way of life, to live with fear, even though we are okay, we are legal…still have to carry documents around.”

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling.

Truck driver forced to show birth certificate claims racial-profiling | Phoenix News | Arizona News | azfamily.com | Arizona News
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone's birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling.
    uhuh.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not so funny story: I went over to Mexico about 2 years ago with a friend for lunch... it was just before it became mandatory to have a passport to cross into the US. The passport was the preferred method of documentation but they listed 'birth certificate' as a legitimate document. I couldn't find my BC card so I took the full document with me in an envelope. On the way back I handed it to the border patrol guy and mentioned that I was sorry that I didn't have the card but I couldn't find it. Big mistake. Detained for hours. My mom had to run down there with an expired passport just to prove I was who I said I was and even then the passport was from when I was 11 so they still didn't believe me. It was retarded. This blatant legitimation of racial-profiling because the passage of this bill is going to lead to a lot of abuse of power/headaches for 'suspicious people'. I'll say right now that I don't even look like the stereotypical mexican and I had this problem. So.. yeah.. good luck with that.

I don't necessarily believe in this bill, but I don't see a problem with trying to enforce some laws as far as immigration is concerned. I can't believe the US is the only country in the world that would like the people living in it to be a citizen in order to benefit from the social systems and programs. Are most countries so lenient on immigration??

I live with someone who had to go through the entire process to become a citizen and I don't see why it's so difficult for others to do the same. Granted, he came here legally so I guess that makes some difference. Believe me, a 30 something, middle eastern man becoming a US citizen after 9/11 isn't a walk in the park.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information