Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82

Thread: Arizona governor signs immigration enforcement bill

  1. #16
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I wish Florida would follow. Im beginning to feel like a minortity sourrounded by spanish speaking people everywhere I go. Just coming in from the beach and they were all around us with their spanish music blaring. Fine if they are here legally but we have MANY migrant workers here that probly are not
    'they' are all around you? 'Their' music? Seriously, is it whites only in Florida? And would you say the same if 'they' were speaking French and playing loads of Edith Piaf?

    This whole issue reminds me of this song:

    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijeXGv9QLRc&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  2. #17
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Plenty of all different nationalities. The topic is about hispanics tho. I live in an area where there are alot of hispanics. Many of them are migrant workers in the tomato and strawberry fields. Many dont speak English. Many are here illegally. Commenting on the topic
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  3. #18
    Elite Member january's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7,255

    Default

    Wait, so this bill makes it legal to harass people? I must have missed that. I thought it just meant that if you are proven illegal, you will be forced out of the state. To me, it seemed like simple enforcement that we simply do not enforce now. I doubt (and maybe it's naive) that people will be forced to show their papers at every turn. I was thinking that if they got pulled over for moving violations, in government buildings, before they received employment, etc. that they would be asked for proper documentation. Like my husband is. The difference is that now no one seems to do anything about it. Our auto insurance is SO high here because of people who don't buy insurance, and our agent specifically told us because of the high illegal immigration problem. So we pay much, much more because of everyone else that's not insured. Illegal immigrants also get free medical care when everyone else is screwed. Yes, we need health reform but it's also about the injustice of it all. It does seem like we have to pick up the slack. If this new bill leads to harassment and the like, then yes, I agree that it's probably not the way to go. But right now we coddle illegal immigrants and, more specifically, the people that employ them. It's not uncommon for people to feel a smidgen angry when the economy is the way it is and people are struggling to survive and getting screwed over by the government, while others get a free ride. And people always say it's because they're looking for a better life - I can respect that. I actually love the mix of cultures that I'm living in now. But for fuck's sake, do it the right way and pay your way. There are plenty of people waiting for immigration visas in other countries who are being forced to wait because the immigration department is being clogged with the illegal immigrant problem. How is that fair? Shouldn't those people get a chance at a better life as well, especially since they're actually applying for it? I don't know, this whole issue makes me angry. And no, I don't want to be hunting people down and I don't want people to have their human rights taken away. But I don't see why people are up in arms about deporting illegal immigrants. They are illegal - you can dress it up any way you want, but it's still a crime. I'm not sure why we coddle them the way we do, honestly, it's really perplexing. At the very least, make them pay a fine and then they can apply for legal immigration after passing the background checks.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

  4. #19
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,884

    Default

    It's an apartheid-style law and will never, thankfully, get past the Supreme Court. It's making racial profiling legal, it's allowing the police to randomly stop people, without due cause (unless they're one of those special investigators who know how illegals dress), and forcing them to show papers proving their legally citizens. I don't carry papers around most of the time, nor do I think I should have to. I understand illegal immigration is a problem (especially when the gardner gets deported) but this is not the way to tackle it.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  5. #20
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    34,418

    Default

    My guess is that the police can get around the profiling charge by asking for the identification of literally everyone they pull over for a moving violation, parking infraction, investigate for domestic disturbance, arrest on DUI, or drunk and disorderly, etc. It just becomes part of the transaction.

    Even if they drop the part of the law that allows at-will examination of papers, a lot of people who are here illegally will be caught due to fraudulent papers being identified, or no ID at all being found for a person who is being processed through the criminal system. Even now, states like Arizona know which inmates are here illegally and which are not, but didn't have the power from the state to do anything about it.

    For Mexican illegals, it's a tough time to be sent back to Mexico -- especially Ciudad Juarez.

  6. #21
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    What do people think of random sobriety checkpoints? Do they violate the rights of citizens?

    If the law is applied in a fair way, I don't see the problem with it.

    It bothers me how illegals are allowed to flagrently violate our laws. For instance, why are all illegals allowed to congregate in front of Home Depot? If ICE refuses to pick them up, states should be allowed to step in and deal with the problem of illegal immigration. California, Arizona are broke and can't afford the costs of taking care of non-legal residents. Illegals are a huge strain on the budgets of border states. Illegals cost Californians over $10 billion to pay for health care, education, welfare & food stamps, and the incarceration of criminals. It's time somebody started sticking up for the American tax payers, who are forced to subsidize "cheap labor" at the expense of our own quality of life. We're broke; we can't afford to care for this poverty class from another country.

  7. #22
    Elite Member Just Kill Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    Posts
    15,548

    Default

    I am so fucking sick of this "they're illegal they need to get out" bullshit.

    I could really give a rat's ass about California having to care for a poverty class (seriously, poverty class? wtf), what about the farms using their labor? California has many problems, illegal immigrants are not the only one.

    I have no problem with people that have committed violent crimes being run through the system but do you know what happens when they get deported? It's safer for the US to keep a violent criminal in prison here than to ship them back home where they will eventually get out and return to commit more crime.

    I hate hearing people bitch when the reality is we all benefit from illegal labor. Our way of life in the US has caused some of the dire situations that these illegal aliens are fleeing from in the hopes of a better life. Every time some fat ass eats fast food they should think about who made it and how on earth were you able to get tomatoes on your deep fried pile of shit and still pay such a low price.

    I live in Houston and I drive past day labourers waiting for work everyday, I accept this as part of my city's culture. There is nothing wrong with a person that is willing to work. I've already made the argument regarding rental properties and property taxes in Texas contributing to the schools that the "anchor babies"(as some so lovingly call children) attend. I think anyone that has their head so far up their ass to say some of things I've read written about illegal aliens and their children can just go eat a dick.

    The US has a history of xenophobic immigration laws. The same places that are so inundated with immigrants were once part of Mexico. What if the war ended differently? I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about illegal immigration; I understand not wanting violent crime but the shit I hear lacks emapthy, compassion, is downright racist and just plain fucking ignorant.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

    Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

  8. #23
    Elite Member WhoAmI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,371

    Default

    Statement from Arizona Hispanic Republicans
    by AZ Family

    The following is a statement from Arizona Hispanic Republicans in response to the passage of Senate Bill 1070:

    Phoenix, AZ – Arizona Hispanic Republicans believe that it is unfortunate for Jan Brewer to support Pearce’s bill. The greatest leaders in our nation had courage, and we believe that Brewer made her decision in an effort to save her political career. Jan Brewer’s decision will mark today as the day in which Hispanic Americans will follow the footsteps of the Great Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr. Pearce and Brewer do not see the unintended consequences of their actions, and it appears that they were willing to make decisions that affect us at the cost of trampling on our Constitutional Rights.

    We believe this party was founded by Abraham Lincoln, a man who was instrumental in doing away with evils towards people of color. We must never forget the price Abraham paid with his own life, and for that we at least owe a fight to bring this party back to our true roots. Later, the Republican Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. picked up Abe’s mantle and helped fight the injustice of racism. Republicans in that era fought to free blacks from slavery, which gave people of color freedoms and citizenship.

    It is unfortunate that our own members of the Republican Party believe that we have to trample on our Constitution in order to “enforce our laws.” We believe that Pearce is easing the requirements for “probable cause” and his attempt in expanding our government. What Pearce’s bill proves is that he does not have the answer for illegal immigration within the confines of the American Constitution, and in fact he is not solving the problem by creating more problems.

    We believe United States Hispanic citizens have a right to be safe in their person from illegal searches and seizures, and we believe Pearce’s efforts are violating that. SB 1070 is a direct slap in the face to Hispanic Americans who have fought and died for several American wars because this new law can be abused by authorities to pull us over with mere “reasonable suspicion”.

    That said, and even though we are taking a stance against Jan Brewer and Russell Pearce’s law, we are ultimately holding President Obama accountable. Obama promised Hispanics that he would pass immigration reform within 90 days of his Presidency. Had Obama carried out his promises to Hispanics last year, the Hispanic community would not be experiencing the crisis we are experiencing right now. There has been recent criticism over our Senator John McCain because John McCain probably feels he cannot win the primary elections due to his previous stances on championing immigration reform and the consistent untrue attacks by Hayworth. It is understandable on why McCain believes he is in the fight of his life. For the record, Senator McCain has taken action in the past while Obama has not. McCain’s valuable experience contributed to Americans winning the Iraq war. The problem is this: There are more Latinos registered as Democrats in the State of Arizona that cannot vote for McCain in the primary elections and McCain wants to win. How can these hypocritical democrat leaders lay blame to the McCain when at the very least McCain has action to back his words? Why aren’t Democrat leaders holding Obama’s feet to the fire? Hispanics are more aligned with Republican values because of our social conservative values and our belief in the Creator; and if Hispanics want to make a real change to help change the face of our Party to bring it back to the Party of Abraham Lincoln, then I call upon all Latinos (Democrat and Independent) to register themselves as Republicans in order to bring it back to those roots.

    Hispanic families are agonizing over this issue. Russell Pearce has not articulated a proactive approach to what will happen to American born children and their welfare as they are ripped apart from their parents. In fact, Russell Pearce believes that children born of illegal immigrants should not be declared as citizens.

    Arizona Hispanic Republicans will not vote for Jan Brewer this year because we are holding her accountable for supporting a bill that violates the Constitution and our Civil Rights. I have sounded the alarm to all Republicans in this state that the passing of this bill is political suicide.

    The State of Arizona already has a blemish because we were the last state of the Union to recognize Martin Luther King as an official holiday. Arizona Hispanic Republicans will write an open letter to our RNC Chair, Michael Steele, as he continues to consider where to hold our next 2011 GOP convention. We will caution our RNC Chair to consider the consequences of that because then it could be perceived as rewarding the state that implemented strong anti-Hispanic laws that has rattled our community and our Civil Rights.

    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.” -- Abe Lincoln
    Statement from Arizona Hispanic Republicans | KMSB Tucson | Related

    Um, ok, then.

    There has been recent criticism over our Senator John McCain because John McCain probably feels he cannot win the primary elections due to his previous stances on championing immigration reform and the consistent untrue attacks by Hayworth.
    ???????

  9. #24
    Elite Member crumpet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!
    Posts
    7,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    My guess is that the police can get around the profiling charge by asking for the identification of literally everyone they pull over for a moving violation, parking infraction, investigate for domestic disturbance, arrest on DUI, or drunk and disorderly, etc. It just becomes part of the transaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post

    Even if they drop the part of the law that allows at-will examination of papers, a lot of people who are here illegally will be caught due to fraudulent papers being identified, or no ID at all being found for a person who is being processed through the criminal system. Even now, states like Arizona know which inmates are here illegally and which are not, but didn't have the power from the state to do anything about it.

    For Mexican illegals, it's a tough time to be sent back to Mexico -- especially Ciudad Juarez.


    You are right about how just requesting documentation of anyone applying for a job or social services or getting stopped for traffic violations/arrested for criminal offenses is the most fair way to do this. Unfortunately, people who are pro-illegals won't care how it is done because they really just want people to be able to stay and do whatever they want with no questions asked, so they are going top label any attempts to enforce immigration laws as racist or xenophobic. Really, we just need to stop giving a fuck what they think. It isn't racist simply because someone says it is.


    [quote=Just Kill Me;2109392]I am so fucking sick of this "they're illegal they need to get out" bullshit.

    I could really give a rat's ass about California having to care for a poverty class (seriously, poverty class? wtf), what about the farms using their labor? California has many problems, illegal immigrants are not the only one.

    I have no problem with people that have committed violent crimes being run through the system but do you know what happens when they get deported? It's safer for the US to keep a violent criminal in prison here than to ship them back home where they will eventually get out and return to commit more crime.

    I hate hearing people bitch when the reality is we all benefit from illegal labor. Our way of life in the US has caused some of the dire situations that these illegal aliens are fleeing from in the hopes of a better life. Every time some fat ass eats fast food they should think about who made it and how on earth were you able to get tomatoes on your deep fried pile of shit and still pay such a low price.

    I live in Houston and I drive past day labourers waiting for work everyday, I accept this as part of my city's culture. There is nothing wrong with a person that is willing to work. I've already made the argument regarding rental properties and property taxes in Texas contributing to the schools that the "anchor babies"(as some so lovingly call children) attend. I think anyone that has their head so far up their ass to say some of things I've read written about illegal aliens and their children can just go eat a dick.

    The US has a history of xenophobic immigration laws. The same places that are so inundated with immigrants were once part of Mexico. What if the war ended differently? I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about illegal immigration; I understand not wanting violent crime but the shit I hear lacks emapthy, compassion, is downright racist and just plain fucking ignorant.[/quote]

    Well, the war didn't end differently, so that point is moot. What if, what if, what if. Not to mention that these greedy ass companies are not lowering prices to consumers b/c they save some money using illegal labor. They line their pockets with what they save, just like insurance companies do.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

  10. #25
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,382

    Default

    The legislation, sent to the Republican governor by the GOP-led Legislature, makes it a crime under state law to be in the country illegally. It also requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants; allows lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws; and makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.
    This is the key point. Officers are required (else they be fired???) to question people who "look illegal." No one looks illegal. How on earth could a human being look illegal? If anyone disagrees, please feel free to provide the rest of us with a description.

    "Going by their clothing" is a total lie -- if dressing poorly is an indicator, then we better check the papers of all the homeless American veterans and Britney Spears.

    And how do you know the people standing in front of Home Depot are here illegally? Did someone get a head start on the cops asking ordinary people on the street to produce credentials? Or was their skin color enough to tell you they weren't legal? FYI, there are plenty of AMERICANS facing rough times and trying to scrape up money with odd jobs, even if it means standing in front of a home improvement store because they know that's exactly where homeowners and contractors go when they want to exploit some cheap day labor.

  11. #26
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    As I understand it, the law is written exactly how federal immigration law is written. ICE agents already question people about their legal status and arrest those who can't prove they are legally in the country. What's the big deal about police having the same authority?

    You really believe the people standing in front of Home Depot are in this country legally? LOL

    As a note about illegals "doing the jobs Americans won't do," ICE recently audited the I-9 forms of workers at an Arizona supermarket. They found 300 illegal workers, who were then fired. And now hundreds of legal workers are applying for the open positions. This should be happening all over the country as a way to put unemployed Americans back to work; it's too bad Obama is such an apologist for illegal aliens. Note: AZ passed this law because the governor requested 3,000 additional National Guard troops to help stem the drug violence and continued illegal immigration in Arizona. Obama ignored her request all four times she sent it. He's refused to do anything to secure our border, and as a result, Arizona was forced to act because of our government's continued failure to protect its citizens from this invasion & the violence & huge associated costs it brings.

  12. #27
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post

    You really believe the people standing in front of Home Depot are in this country legally? LOL

    Why do you believe they are not? LOL

  13. #28
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Uranus
    Posts
    31,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I am so fucking sick of this "they're illegal they need to get out" bullshit.

    I could really give a rat's ass about California having to care for a poverty class (seriously, poverty class? wtf), what about the farms using their labor? California has many problems, illegal immigrants are not the only one.

    I have no problem with people that have committed violent crimes being run through the system but do you know what happens when they get deported? It's safer for the US to keep a violent criminal in prison here than to ship them back home where they will eventually get out and return to commit more crime.

    I hate hearing people bitch when the reality is we all benefit from illegal labor. Our way of life in the US has caused some of the dire situations that these illegal aliens are fleeing from in the hopes of a better life. Every time some fat ass eats fast food they should think about who made it and how on earth were you able to get tomatoes on your deep fried pile of shit and still pay such a low price.

    I live in Houston and I drive past day labourers waiting for work everyday, I accept this as part of my city's culture. There is nothing wrong with a person that is willing to work. I've already made the argument regarding rental properties and property taxes in Texas contributing to the schools that the "anchor babies"(as some so lovingly call children) attend. I think anyone that has their head so far up their ass to say some of things I've read written about illegal aliens and their children can just go eat a dick.

    The US has a history of xenophobic immigration laws. The same places that are so inundated with immigrants were once part of Mexico. What if the war ended differently? I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about illegal immigration; I understand not wanting violent crime but the shit I hear lacks emapthy, compassion, is downright racist and just plain fucking ignorant.
    Very well said.

    Now, I'd like to know how Obama can be held personally responsible for the stupidity of Arizona? He didn't write the law, he's come out publicly against it and yeah, what now? The Justice Department can have a look but won't it need a test case?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

    "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

  14. #29
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Why do you believe they are not? LOL
    Because it's been proven that over 9/10 day laborers are illegal immigrants.

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I am so fucking sick of this "they're illegal they need to get out" bullshit.

    I could really give a rat's ass about California having to care for a poverty class (seriously, poverty class? wtf), what about the farms using their labor? California has many problems, illegal immigrants are not the only one.

    I have no problem with people that have committed violent crimes being run through the system but do you know what happens when they get deported? It's safer for the US to keep a violent criminal in prison here than to ship them back home where they will eventually get out and return to commit more crime.

    I hate hearing people bitch when the reality is we all benefit from illegal labor. Our way of life in the US has caused some of the dire situations that these illegal aliens are fleeing from in the hopes of a better life. Every time some fat ass eats fast food they should think about who made it and how on earth were you able to get tomatoes on your deep fried pile of shit and still pay such a low price.

    I live in Houston and I drive past day labourers waiting for work everyday, I accept this as part of my city's culture. There is nothing wrong with a person that is willing to work. I've already made the argument regarding rental properties and property taxes in Texas contributing to the schools that the "anchor babies"(as some so lovingly call children) attend. I think anyone that has their head so far up their ass to say some of things I've read written about illegal aliens and their children can just go eat a dick.

    The US has a history of xenophobic immigration laws. The same places that are so inundated with immigrants were once part of Mexico. What if the war ended differently? I'm so sick of people pissing and moaning about illegal immigration; I understand not wanting violent crime but the shit I hear lacks emapthy, compassion, is downright racist and just plain fucking ignorant.
    I'll ignore the insults & self-righteous moral indignation.

    Many illegals live in government-subsidized housing & others pool all their earnings and have a large number of people sharing one housing unit. So, you overstate the amount of property taxes they are paying towards the schooling of their children. The American tax payers pick up most of the cost of educating their children.

    And your justification for their lawbreaking is that "the land used to be a part of Mexico" for 30 years or so (and was mostly unpopulated) - so why are there illegals out on the East Coast where I'm located? And the government of Mexico is responsible for the plight of their people. NAFTA may have affected some small farmers (but benefited large-scale Mexican farms.) The American people have lost millions of manufacturing jobs because of NAFTA and other free trade agreements. You don't see our millions of unemployed flooding over Canada's borders looking for work. There is no justification for the illegals' actions. They are simply criminals who shouldn't be here.

    BTW, 70% of Arizona's residents supported the law. The American people are tired of illegals. Call me whatever you like, but I don't care one bit about the hardships faced by the illegals. I care about the American people and how illegals are negatively affecting us/this country.

  15. #30
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I wish Florida would follow. Im beginning to feel like a minortity sourrounded by spanish speaking people everywhere I go. Just coming in from the beach and they were all around us with their spanish music blaring. Fine if they are here legally but we have MANY migrant workers here that probly are not
    The Spanish were in Florida long before English speakers.

    How do you know which ones are here legally and which ones aren't? Should someone born in the US who happens to have dark skin have to show papers every time an idiot cop gets a funny feeling about him?
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Arizona House approves concealed weapons bill
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 1st, 2008, 09:43 PM
  4. The battle lines are drawn:South Dakota gov signs anti-abortion bill.
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: March 7th, 2006, 11:29 AM
  5. Bush signs anti-torture bill with the provision that he will ignore it.
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 6th, 2006, 12:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •