Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arab world hates us - thanks George Bush (and Darth)!

I can only speak for the Arab world in my little corner, but the reason why people hate America here (and not Americans, everyone has been very gracious to me) is because of our unfaltering allegiance to Israel, which of course is what I take issue with as well, respectfully. What people don't get is that it doesn't boil down to (for most Arabs here) religion or "western values." In fact, most Arabs here in the big cities are very well educated, speak English, and are very open to western ideals. You would be very surprised. And you are equating all Arabs with Muslims, which you need not do - there are plenty of Arab Orthodox Christians as well in the Arab world. Arabs in general feel marginalized and very misunderstood, and I understand that. Before I moved here I thought I might be stoned for being of western mind, or maybe treated as inferior for being a woman. It couldn't have been further from the truth, and I wish more people could see that. I have a position at a magazine where my superiors are all educated women, all of my female friends studied at University, the hijab is not forced upon anyone, I am free to go wherever I please and feel safe (funny thing is, I feel safer here in terms of violence than in the US). Every man I know has been extremely gracious, accommodating, and respectful to me.

The thing is, they take issue in particular with The War on Terror, as GWB puts it - and the hypocrisy of it is, for them, that terror has been going on here for years and years and no one takes notice, or turn a blind eye. And Israel itself has been guilty very often of committing terrorist acts and killing of innocent civilians and violating the Geneva Convention (like plowing down Palestinian homes and putting up their own settlements in occupied territory) and yet they get the thumbs up from George Bush, no matter what they do. Even when the UN takes notice, America and Israel stand tight. Don't you see how if you grew up in a different environment that could be frustrating? They know that, no matter what, they will never be heard because they will always be underrepresented in the media (except when they are asked to portray suicide bombers - and look at the pervasive stereotypes just on this board! That they ride donkeys or camels and don't go to school and beat their wives!) and they know when they are wronged, no one cares, no one takes notice, the world doesn't blink. Truth be told, most things might get a small blurb in the newspapers back home and thats all. I was reading about an attack in Palestine in The New York Times where Israel killed 25 innocent people with missile fire and then they said "oops, our bad." This was a blurb in the newspaper. On the front page, it talked about how two innocent Israeli people died of a suicide bomber, a full length article. All of these deaths should be important, but somehow only some merit heavy media attention and the others don't even get a mention.

So yes, I believe that some Arabs (and rightfully so, just from this American) may feel like America is hostile to them. I realized that as soon as I moved over here. It didn't take me long to get frustrated - it was during the Lebanese/Israeli conflict a few years back that I realized "holy shit, Israel does some BAD SHIT that I have never seen before." I couldn't believe my eyes. Before that I had really tried never to notice, I actually defended Israel. Speaking for myself, I was completely naive about what went on over here. Not anymore. Not when I saw all of those dead bodies of women and children. And I don't want anyone to think that because I'm anti-Israel I'm anti-Jewish or pro-Palestine, both of those couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just saying what I personally believe and trying to throw my two cents in here, trying to give a different perspective. I wish more Arabs were seen in TV and the media in a positive light, not depicted as wearing traditional clothing and blowing shit up. Its depressing.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Silver Member

Wow, I never thought of it like that. The thing is that the Isreal/Palestine thing will never come to a compromise because both feel that they have a divine right to the same area. My only experience with Arabs was I dated an Arab man (briefly) about 10-15 years ago. He was very educated (a doctor) but his attitude concerning women was very backward and sterotypical of what people think of Arab men. Hence, the shortness of the romance.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

You would be very surprised. And you are equating all Arabs with Muslims, which you need not do - there are plenty of Arab Orthodox Christians as well in the Arab world. Arabs in general feel marginalized and very misunderstood, and I understand that.

I'm actually aware of that. I know several Lebonese folks who are Catholic and one of them, a man, has family over there and he tells me they have felt/been persecuted for being Christian.

That said, I have never met a woman, American or otherwise, who has been involved with an Arab man who did not end up having the same story to tell about how they seemed so Westernized..........until they got married, then all hell broke loose. @ of those Arab men were Muslim. I get exposed to a lot of Arab culture/people when I was into belly dancing. I actually like the music and think many of them are really beautiful, but I am suspicious even if an Arab man 'seems' modern at first. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I can only speak for the Arab world in my little corner, but the reason why people hate America here (and not Americans, everyone has been very gracious to me) is because of our unfaltering allegiance to Israel, which of course is what I take issue with as well, respectfully. What people don't get is that it doesn't boil down to (for most Arabs here) religion or "western values." In fact, most Arabs here in the big cities are very well educated, speak English, and are very open to western ideals. You would be very surprised. And you are equating all Arabs with Muslims, which you need not do - there are plenty of Arab Orthodox Christians as well in the Arab world. Arabs in general feel marginalized and very misunderstood, and I understand that. Before I moved here I thought I might be stoned for being of western mind, or maybe treated as inferior for being a woman. It couldn't have been further from the truth, and I wish more people could see that. I have a position at a magazine where my superiors are all educated women, all of my female friends studied at University, the hijab is not forced upon anyone, I am free to go wherever I please and feel safe (funny thing is, I feel safer here in terms of violence than in the US). Every man I know has been extremely gracious, accommodating, and respectful to me.

The thing is, they take issue in particular with The War on Terror, as GWB puts it - and the hypocrisy of it is, for them, that terror has been going on here for years and years and no one takes notice, or turn a blind eye. And Israel itself has been guilty very often of committing terrorist acts and killing of innocent civilians and violating the Geneva Convention (like plowing down Palestinian homes and putting up their own settlements in occupied territory) and yet they get the thumbs up from George Bush, no matter what they do. Even when the UN takes notice, America and Israel stand tight. Don't you see how if you grew up in a different environment that could be frustrating? They know that, no matter what, they will never be heard because they will always be underrepresented in the media (except when they are asked to portray suicide bombers - and look at the pervasive stereotypes just on this board! That they ride donkeys or camels and don't go to school and beat their wives!) and they know when they are wronged, no one cares, no one takes notice, the world doesn't blink. Truth be told, most things might get a small blurb in the newspapers back home and thats all. I was reading about an attack in Palestine in The New York Times where Israel killed 25 innocent people with missile fire and then they said "oops, our bad." This was a blurb in the newspaper. On the front page, it talked about how two innocent Israeli people died of a suicide bomber, a full length article. All of these deaths should be important, but somehow only some merit heavy media attention and the others don't even get a mention.

So yes, I believe that some Arabs (and rightfully so, just from this American) may feel like America is hostile to them. I realized that as soon as I moved over here. It didn't take me long to get frustrated - it was during the Lebanese/Israeli conflict a few years back that I realized "holy shit, Israel does some BAD SHIT that I have never seen before." I couldn't believe my eyes. Before that I had really tried never to notice, I actually defended Israel. Speaking for myself, I was completely naive about what went on over here. Not anymore. Not when I saw all of those dead bodies of women and children. And I don't want anyone to think that because I'm anti-Israel I'm anti-Jewish or pro-Palestine, both of those couldn't be further from the truth. I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just saying what I personally believe and trying to throw my two cents in here, trying to give a different perspective. I wish more Arabs were seen in TV and the media in a positive light, not depicted as wearing traditional clothing and blowing shit up. Its depressing.
    *stands up and applauds*
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I thought Arab nations have always hated us, anyway. So let them fuck themselves over and blow themselves up.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I thought Arab nations have always hated us, anyway. So let them fuck themselves over and blow themselves up.
    Wow, what an ignorant, bigoted remark.

Like january posted above, the Arabs disagree with US policy in the Middle East. And I can't blame them for that. They don't "hate our way or life," or whatever malarky George Bush tries to sell you. I guess the propaganda has worked, judging by so many of the bigoted remarks on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    Wow, what an ignorant, bigoted remark.

Like january posted above, the Arabs disagree with US policy in the Middle East. And I can't blame them for that. They don't "hate our way or life," or whatever malarky George Bush tries to sell you. I guess the propaganda has worked, judging by so many of the bigoted remarks on this thread.
    Exactly, thank you. I personally am really sick of all the remarks, such as "they should just blow themselves up." Some of the nicest people I have met in all my travels have been in this region. Its just sad that so many people seem to think a very very small amount of people is representative of everyone here.

Have you guys seen Rendition? The Egyptian born actor in that movie had to play "Caucasian" in order to get roles in the US. You may have seen him in Greys Anatomy. He was able to get a prime role in Rendition, and probably will never be seen again, unless he wants to be white again. Arabs aren't seen in the media unless 1) they're blowing some shit up or 2) they are a token Arab, like one seen every once in awhile, like in 24 (a good one in the midst of a hundred bad ones, who inevitably will die) or like in The Kingdom (a good cop out of a hundred bad terrorists, who inevitably will die). Its depressing that people in the US succumb to all of that and really think thats all there is here, its NOT like that in the least. How depressed would you feel if the vast majority of media presented you as a potential threat, just to instill fear? You will never see just a casual Arab in a film with nothing to do with the storyline at all, it doesn't happen.

Those people who have seen my Facebook from here know that the "Arabs" who live here actually brought me and my husband our Christmas tree and our Christmas decorations (without being asked) and came to our Christmas party to help us celebrate. On Easter I received cards from my neighbors, and my friends bought me little bunnies with chocolate. They don't fear me or want to change me, or blow me up! Its a pity that people don't see what I see on a regular basis.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

January, thank you for your thoughtful, thought provoking and eloquent posts on the subject.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information