Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple (and Google) donates $100,000 to fight Prop. 8

I know, it keeps going back and forth. I don't understand why these conservatives are so threatened and I'll never buy that gay marriages somehow undermine heterosexual ones.

Someone asked in another thread what will happen to the same-sex marriages that have been performed since the May 2008 court ruling that deemed them legal in California. Short answer is nobody can be sure. According to this Sacramento Bee article, if prop 8 passes, legal experts say it's not clear whether those marriages will be invalidated or whether they will still be legally recognized.

Some states, such as the one I live in, already have same-sex marriage bans on the books. I wonder how those marriages will be dealt with by other states.

Someone threw out an interesting theory. He said if even one state will put same-sex marriages in its Constitution, that would be a springboard to challenge other states, even the ones which have voted to ban same-sex marriage.

Will those voter backed decisions be invalidated? Will the marriages only be recognized in states which vote to recognize them?

This may turn out to be a nasty tug of war.

I still dont get the big deal.

gay marriage hasn't caused canada's society to fall apart.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Some states, such as the one I live in, already have same-sex marriage bans on the books. I wonder how those marriages will be dealt with by other states.
    In the state I live in, same sex marriages are not only illegal for residents, out-of-state gay marriages are not recognized as valid marriages. I would guess most states deal with it the same way.

Yeah, that was the federal 1996 Defense of Marriage Act which allowed states to not recognize gay marriages entered into in another state. If more states begin legalizing gay marriage (already legal in Massachusetts + Connecticut, and it's expected NY and New Jersey will probably follow suit), that federal act may be challenged in the U.S. Supreme Court.

It all depends on which way the winds of change blow. But it does seem like this issue is going to be a long battle of tug-of-war.

Isn't the divorce rate for heteros like 50%? Gee, seems like that isn't working out too well. Let anyone get married to whoever the hell they want.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Texas had Proposition 2 back in 2005. It passed with something like 75% of the vote. I think Travis County (Austin) was the one county who opposed it by majority vote.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I still dont get the big deal.

gay marriage hasn't caused canada's society to fall apart.
    I don't know Grimm, look what happened to the stock market, whose fault was that huh......HUH.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by purple rain View Post
    In the state I live in, same sex marriages are not only illegal for residents, out-of-state gay marriages are not recognized as valid marriages. I would guess most states deal with it the same way.
    Are you in the south as well? Just curious.

I do think states will uphold their laws regarding same-sex marriages as illegal and unrecognized, which has been challenged, unsuccessfully, here by a couple who married elsewhere; however, those laws would have a better argument for challenge if even one state legalizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    I don't know Grimm, look what happened to the stock market, whose fault was that huh......HUH.
    you know very well that was Barack Obama's fault
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i was trying to reason with a homophobic straight man about this and of course, OF COURSE he had to bring up the sex issue, "well little kids dont need to be learning about boys kissing boys and having ses is alright" and i screamed "GAWD WHAT IS IS WITH YOU PPL - YOU THINK GAY MARRIAGE AND ISSUES IS ALL ABOUT SEX, THAT THATS ALL GAY PPL DO AND ARE ABOUT!" and then he said that they choose to be that way and kids dont need to learn that behaviour, and i tried to reason with him again, it was pointless. i just left the conversation by saying, "you know interracial marriage used to be illegal and now its a norm, the stigma and taboo of this will just simply die down once its been around a while", he didn't have anything to say back, but i dunno, ppl are so silly and ignorant, they convince themselves of stupid illogical concepts and shit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information