Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Sarah Palin's speech?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I wasn't impressed by Palin's speech. But since she looks like Tina Fey it's hard to take her seriously anyway. I loved how she kept taking swats at Obama, considering that this time last weeek most of the country didn't even know she existed.

And pimping out her kids was a nice touch. Although I did laugh when her husband just dumped the baby off in one of the kids lap.

My boss said the same thing when we were all watching Palin's speech at work. That accent was killing me.
    I really hope to see Tina Fey make fun of her on SNL

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Definitions of retard on the Web:
    define:retard - Google Search=

While retard may not be used as one of the lighest terms, especially among kids these days, it is still an official medical term. Sorry, but people can't keep being politically correct and sugar coat it by saying 'special needs' all the time. Sorry, but the kid's retarded. He has downs syndrome, a disease that's just a LITTLE bit more than a special need.
    Saying special needs is not sugar coating it; it showing these people the respect they deserve as human beings. Downs is not a disease; it is a genetic mental disability. Mumps and measles are diseases. There are some medical books somewhere that say being gay is a psycho condition; it doesn't mean that it is correct or should be still used.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It was a very good speech, a job well done - she put McCain on the crest of the conservative wave, now he'll have to deliver tom.

The repubs aren't pullin any punches - the debates should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ya-ya_sister View Post
    Saying special needs is not sugar coating it; it showing these people the respect they deserve as human beings. Downs is not a disease; it is a genetic mental disability. Mumps and measles are diseases. There are some medical books somewhere that say being gay is a psycho condition; it doesn't mean that it is correct or should be still used.

That doesn't stop 'retarded' from being the correct medical term.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    LMFAO!!!!!!

It doesn't work that way. You can't just click 'report' and it'll automatically give said member an infraction. There can be rejection, and it has to be a legit reason to be reported for.
    The best part of the reported post by the now banned? This is the post they reported:
    Uh, she made a stopover in ireland and bought a sweater in the airport. That doesnt count as travel.
    The reason they gave? Namecalling.

^ Omg

Hit By Ban Bus!

That doesn't stop 'retarded' from being the correct medical term.
    Not to open a can of worms, or question your opinion - but as a psychologist I can say with relative certainty that "retarded" is in no way a "medical term".

That's not to say it isn't used frequently, but no Doctor would ever officially use it.

Well, then, I'm sorry that I or Grimm can't sugar coat certain things, the way some people would like. I will take your word for it, but also, let me say that it probably won't stop me from continuing to use the word.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wasn't meant to request PC ... just an opinion.

use it if you want to, but realize saying someone is a "retard" is like calling a little person a "midget" - again, not trying to influence you ... say whatever you want. 1st amendment and all.
    Last edited by Coyote; September 4th, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Cool Alaskan blogger: Here We Go… RNC Watch Open Thread

Here we go everyone. I’m sitting here in Anchorage with my cocktail, my bucket of popcorn, and my Pepto Bismol.
    Rudy is taking the stage. Did anyone at the DNC have to wait for the applause on applause lines?
    Did you guys know that John McCain was a POW?
    I see what we’re in for. Barack Obama bashing, line by line down his resume. Community Organizer (laughter), celebrity Senator, no executive experience. Never had to lead people in crisis…. is he going to say 9/11?
    He just actually said, “This is no time for on the job training.” Ummm…. what about Sarah?
    Lots of reform talk, but no specifics. Put government on the side of the people, shook things up, …
    Oh Good God. They’re chanting “Drill Baby Drill”. And they won’t stop.
    September 11th! He said it! Everyone take a drink!
    Terrorists, Islamic extremism, ….more terrorists, surge, Democrats afraid to insult terrorists.
    He just said Joe Biden should get ‘that VP thing’ in writing. In case Obama flip flops. That’ll be a great clip to play back if Palin is asked to leave. leaves gracefully.
    Obscure negative references to the U.N. Tries to start the U-S-A chant…semi-successfully.
    HA! The spin: Obama looked back by choosing experience. McCain “looked to the future” when he picked young and inexperienced.
    He’s “sorry that her home town isn’t cosmopolitan enough” for Barack Obama. “The first day she was mayor she had more executive experience” than Barack Obama and Joe Biden combined. Where’s my drink?
    Here we go. Palin is on. Crowd goes wild.
    Why does she keep saying John” S”. McCain?? Mom of a troop. Deployment on 9/11. More U-S-A chanting. Family introductions. We’re just like you. Special needs children need special love. (*Note to self. make a post about how she cut funding in Alaska for special needs education).
    Lukewarm applause for Todd being a steelworker. Intro of parents. Hardworking small town people are always proud of America. (as opposed to whom?)
    The difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? Lipstick.
    Piper is licking her hand and wiping it on Trig’s head. Ew.
    “A small town mayor is something like a community organizer except that you have actual responsibilities”. The ‘bitter’ comment is resurrected. Big boo for ‘the media’ who thinks she’s unqualified. Doesn’t care about their opinion, she’s going to Washington to serve the country. (Pepto Bismol)
    She talked about putting Murkowski’s luxury jet on Ebay and selling it. (OK, that was a good move).
    Talked about her vetoes. Didn’t mention that it included housing for unwed mothers in crisis and special ed.
    For the THIRD TIME she’s taken credit for scuttling the bridge to nowhere, even though it’s completely untrue. Also says Alaska has a budget surplus. Don’t think we’ve ever NOT had one. Lots of oil $ here.
    Iran sabre rattling and energy independence. Take it from a “gal who knows the North Slope of Alaska”, we’ve got plenty of oil.
    Obama only uses the word “victory” when talking about his own campaign. Talks about the dreaded “columns” at the DNC convention. “What does he do after holding back the waters and saving the planet?” Big government. (more Pepto Bismol)
    “Al Qaeda is plotting to inflict catastrophic harm, and [Obama] is worried that someone won’t read them their rights”. (pounding head on desk) Now lots of tax talk.
    “Some use change to promote their careers. Others, like John McCain use their careers to promote change.” High flown speechmaking, self-created presidential seals….
    Hey, did you guys know that John McCain was a P.O.W.?
    Whew. We survived. And here’s the whole family. And that’s one ginormous flag.
    And here’s John McCain. “Don’t you think we made the right choice for the next Vice President of the United States?” Ummm….

Here We Go… RNC Watch Open Thread. « Mudflats

Well, then, I'm sorry that I or Grimm can't sugar coat certain things, the way some people would like. I will take your word for it, but also, let me say that it probably won't stop me from continuing to use the word.
    There's a difference between using a word in a certain context (i.e. someone has mental retardation) and using it mockingly to describe a baby or child and implying it's the fault of the mother. That's just messed up any way you slice it. I did not want to get into any kind of argument or off topic, and that's basically all I have to say.

Anyways, back to Sarah Palin.....lol

I think Palin did what she was assigned to do, we shouldn't underestimate her. I don't think she's any sort of exceptional speaker, but she's pandering to the people she needs to (special needs families, small town people, moms, anyone that can put up with the sound of her voice for more than 30 seconds...etc)

As far as I can tell, this is Obama's race to win (or lose.) And he's going to have to fight for it, because losing isn't an option and the Republicans are throwing anything that'll stick at him now.

The feeling I got from her speech was similar to Bush....maybe if she repeats something enough, it suddenly becomes true. Like all the flat-out lies on her positions prior to being nominated for VP (bridge to nowhere, earmarks/pork...) And chanting...."drill, baby, drill..."??! You can't make this shit up.

The comment about community organizers was low and classless. What about all the people that have worked for her/McCain's campaign so far? News flash: community organizers aren't just democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by JR5597 View Post
    I think Palin did what she was assigned to do, we shouldn't underestimate her. I don't think she's any sort of exceptional speaker, but she's pandering to the people she needs to (special needs families, small town people, moms, anyone that can put up with the sound of her voice for more than 30 seconds...etc)

As far as I can tell, this is Obama's race to win (or lose.) And he's going to have to fight for it, because losing isn't an option and the Republicans are throwing anything that'll stick at him now.

The feeling I got from her speech was similar to Bush....maybe if she repeats something enough, it suddenly becomes true. Like all the flat-out lies on her positions prior to being nominated for VP (bridge to nowhere, earmarks/pork...) And chanting...."drill, baby, drill..."??! You can't make this shit up.

The comment about community organizers was low and classless. What about all the people that have worked for her/McCain's campaign so far? News flash: community organizers aren't just democrats.
    Dubya's speech writers wrote Palin's speech..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I think what bothers me about this RNC is that it really runs on fear. And people lap it up. The Republicans are constantly talking about potential terrorism, Al-Queda, etc. so they can promote an atmosphere of fear. Once people are scared, they'll believe just about anything. The comment tonight that Palin made about how they want to gather up the terrorists while Dems just want to read them their rights was something that stuck out to me. And the fact that people cheered! Do people really believe that accused terrorists/criminals don't have rights? What a slippery slope! Thats the kind of party that we're dealing with though, I'm afraid. Its a shame because as an Independent, I would have liked to have seen a woman on the ticket that really was a breath of fresh air. But this woman spews the same thing: vote for us or the bad guys will get us, etc. It drives me insane.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

The thing that got me about Palin, besides the unbelievable smugness and arrogance of somebody that's been on the national stage for 5 minutes, is that she really is Dick Cheney in drag.

But since she went after Obama/Biden, then she just opened the door for them to come after her with both barrels.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information