Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Anyone watching Sarah Palin's speech?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Not going to happen. Republicans are automatically forgiven their transgressions even though they never apologize.

Google her speech. Nothing but articles impressed with her, wall to wall.

Advantage McDouchebag. It's all over but the election fraud.
    I read two back to back 'impressed' articles in New York Post. UGH! I couldn't help but think I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT while I read them. Give me a break, no way did anyone really think her speech was anyway near decent. Edit. I'm wrong, that's not true. Ignorant people would think it was amazing. I have to admit, I've only seen about the first half. I honestly can't stomach the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.v View Post
    ^ Ugh,it's so disturbing and scary.

The farthest I got was when she slammed Obama for not using the word "victory" with the war.Bitch,please.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    My opinion on Palin's speech: one of the clearest examples of the
    smug, arrogant, lying, opportunistic, "will do anything to stay in
    power" pieces of propaganda that the Repugs seem to excel at.
    Not hindered by truth or facts, this overaged cheerleader with
    the most annoying voice and presentation (look at the smirky
    faces she makes every time she delivers a "winning" line, she
    could give Smirky McChimpface a run for his money!) got the
    dumb crowd on its feet - well, actually, they were on their feet
    cheering after every fifth word! And that's scary. The Repugs,
    and especially the fundies amongst them, are so insanely
    fanatical, they fire each other up into a state of hysteria.
    She's a barracuda for sure, and totally fits in with the fanatic
    crowd that is her audience.
    But yes: I am scared. Unfortunately, our great US of A has
    a large, larger than you might think, number of people who
    WILL go for the superficial. Who will identify "she's just like
    us!" (Uhm, no, unless you're a tough as nails, my career
    before the five mouths I put on this planet, my speech
    before the birth of my special needs kid).
    They cheer during her speech when she actually is stating
    things that are all caused by HER party, in congress and
    the senate. They have no idea. They just like the sound of
    it, not aware that they are lies.
    Her delivery is the kind these fantatics LOVE and from
    that perspective, McSame made the right choice: a cheerleader
    to make lies sound like truths, disastrous politics like salvation,
    and schoolyard comebacks like smart rebuttals.
    They chose a second disastrous term of Chimpy, they might
    choose a third with McSame.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheONe View Post
    I thought her speach was lackluster...it was about 20% content about her and the Republican party and 80% anti Obama one liners...I didn't care for it
    ABSOLUTELY. It made me nauseous. It really makes you think in contrast, at the DNC, before any criticism displayed about the Republicans, they always acknowledge John McCain's merits before and afterward. They did it in a respectful but prominent matter, which is why it was exciting when they delivered them (and delivered them well).

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Her speech was filled with lies and no real substance. But what I did like about it - she turned into pitbull so this sexist shit is out of the window. The real test is when shes facing the debates and the stories coming out- dont forget the National Enquirer has a doozy of an issue out this week and a follow up next week. And if they try to ignore this without a rebuttal then it will just get worse.
    Another thing is this- McCain's speech is going to be compared to hers as much as she was comparing herself to Obama. It might look bad if looks weaker than his own VP.
    True, but Hillary's midget ass would kick her back to the 19th century when women weren't allowed to vote.

Also another thing - the speech was filled with inconsistency and you can tell if you look at the speech in detail that it doesnt hold up with lies/no substance. Yeah she sold herself to the nutttier base, the audience in the RNC just showed that- apparently there were only 33 black delegates in the whole hall. But I think her pitbull reference and the negativity wont really attract the moderates and the independants.

But if you look at some of the stuff she said, her attack Obama for his grassroots efforts in community organizing, and that hes an elitist and out of touch typical politician. Is that an oxymoron statement, yet shes the one who goes one about coming from a small town and I'm sure she has some form of community organization especially with her experience as mayor from a SMALL town. But then as Gov for a large state but with a population of 6 hundred thousand- she has executive experiences and has good knowledge of foreign affairs since Alaska is close to Siberia which is just as populated as her state.
    The GOP has more experienced women in their ranks but they chose Caribou Barbie because she looks 'hot' and shes a puppet, because the people who are currently in control of the party are the rightwing nuts- if McCain couldnt choose Lieberman then how the hell can he stand behind the issues he believes in with people like that running the game.
    There are true speakers in this forum. Thank you. I don't think I can quote everyone enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I found it kind of disturbing how many old men were wearing buttons with Palin's picture and words stating she was either the "Hottest V.P." or Governor. Apparently she has nothing besides her face to make a button about.
    I wonder how her husband and children feels. I'd be like WTF.
    Last edited by bychance; September 4th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.

THAT WAS AWESOME!! Thanks for posting.

Those are the real issues - in Europe abortion, gay marriage arent that important compared to the state of economy or education and the health system.

By the way last night speech did have an impact - 10 million dollars was raised but get this for Obama lol
    Ben Smith's Blog: Political News about Democrats and the 2008 Election - Politico.com
    LOL that's great. I used to not think John Stewert wasn't really funny (first time I saw him was hosting the Grammys in 2001 I think it was) but I've been liking his show lately. The clip about Palin was hilarious

If Palin's speech was so spot-on and such a game-changing event, then why did the Dow slip 344 points today? Hmmm...seems to me that the market is not responding favorably to a McCain/Palin ticket.

What I absolutely do not get is how the republicans cling to this idea that they will do better financially under republicans when history tells us otherwise.

The economy is in tatters folks. I work in retail real estate and part of my job is to monitor economic conditions as it relates to our industry and I can tell you that it is grim. Things are NOT working. They will be the same under McCain because he has done NOTHING to lay out a cohesive strategy to put our economy on the right track.

Obama has, but you have to actually inform yourself rather than take your information from any of the stupid news shows or from :30 ads from the politicians.

At this point, I can't believe the race is as close as it is. It depresses me to think that people are going to let this country be destroyed by greedy old white men who care nothing for people like you and me. And that they picked a pretty woman who talks like one of those greedy old white men does nothing to change that.

In the words of the fabulous James Wolcott...

Sarah Palin: Bad for America, bad for wildlife, bad for your 401K.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I just need to say it:

I really enjoy healthy debate and sometimes it is difficult to have debates where a forum can be as one-sided as these political threads can be. I feel a little out of place because I am able to disagree with someone's political views without needing to resort to calling them stupid. It seems pretty arrogant to me to say that I'm so smart and right that anyone who has a viewpoint that is the polar opposite of mine must simply be mentally retarded or have a 2nd grade education at best. That kind of thinking is what has earned the left the elitist label and thus alienated as many potential voters as George Bush has. I actually think someone can have a high IQ even though I can't see for the life of me why the support overturning Roe V Wade or why they oppose stem cell research. I admit I'm biased against religion, particularly how some people want the entire government to be based on their religious views (yet they criticize the Taliban!). I do get very angry but I still try really hard to practice what I believe in and it frustrates me to no end when I see people being hypocritical and think it's okay because they're the good guys. To me that's no different than the US thinking it's okay to invade Iraq becasue they are the good guys. People think it makes it okay for them to make personal attacks but it's classless and petty when the opposition does it. It's okay if my candidate gives a nice fluffy speech that makes you feel all overwhelmed with possibility even though they didn't point by point tackle every issue on the table in detail, but if your candidate does it they are all style and no substance and a lightweight.The finger pointing back and forth really annoys me most. Maybe it is just part of human nature to be hypocritical, but I want to be better than that if I can. No wonder so many people don't even bother to vote.

These threads just turn into more of a circle jerk than anything else.
    You made a lot of sense and made me look at my knee-jerk attitudes a little more closely.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Crumpet I like your post. We are all a product of our experience and see things differently. I think respect goes a long ways. A great debate makes people think, but complete belittlement by others solves nothing. It is in my humble opinion the berating that goes on in this website says more about the poster than their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    While I listened to the words of the speakers at the RNC, it struck me that this is exactly as others have noted: repeat something enough and it becomes true. Incite fear and the masses will follow.

In the world's eyes, we'd be a laughing stock if we elect McCain / Palin. We'd be known as the country who followed their ignorance over the cliff and into insanity.
    I agree with all you said, especially about how it would be incredibly embarrassing on an international level. Even more so after the fiasco of the Bush admin. It definitely makes me think about how the French had the right idea with that revolution. You know, we do outnumber the retards in government who insist on fucking us all over and pacifying us with this fear rhetoric...

Crumpet I couldn't agree more, great post.
    Last edited by nycgirl; September 5th, 2008 at 12:28 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

I don't think it's only the left that is elitist, far from it in fact. That's a label the Repubs like to throw around as if it doesn't also apply to them. They pretend to be populist while supporting the most elitist policies imaginable.

Read this you guys

About Sarah Palin: A Letter From Anne Kilkenny | John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    If Palin's speech was so spot-on and such a game-changing event, then why did the Dow slip 344 points today? Hmmm...seems to me that the market is not responding favorably to a McCain/Palin ticket.

What I absolutely do not get is how the republicans cling to this idea that they will do better financially under republicans when history tells us otherwise.

The economy is in tatters folks. I work in retail real estate and part of my job is to monitor economic conditions as it relates to our industry and I can tell you that it is grim. Things are NOT working. They will be the same under McCain because he has done NOTHING to lay out a cohesive strategy to put our economy on the right track.

Obama has, but you have to actually inform yourself rather than take your information from any of the stupid news shows or from :30 ads from the politicians.

At this point, I can't believe the race is as close as it is. It depresses me to think that people are going to let this country be destroyed by greedy old white men who care nothing for people like you and me. And that they picked a pretty woman who talks like one of those greedy old white men does nothing to change that.

In the words of the fabulous James Wolcott...

Sarah Palin: Bad for America, bad for wildlife, bad for your 401K.
    I've seen the repubs talk about how the Dems are "running scared" after watching her speech, and amazed because now Obama isn't the only charismatic well spoken candidate anymore Someone on YouTube I read it. I was like, okay.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

see i told u guys; manifestos rule!

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by tamjo54 View Post
    Crumpet I like your post. We are all a product of our experience and see things differently. I think respect goes a long ways. A great debate makes people think, but complete belittlement by others solves nothing. It is in my humble opinion the berating that goes on in this website says more about the poster than their beliefs.
    Thanks for those nice words from you and some others in response to my post. I really wasn't trying to come off as a finger wagging school marm, I was just having a moment of reflection. I guess my karate classes really are teaching me some patience and control, huh?

I'll admit sometimes I bristle when i hear things like 'only ignorant people would think that sounded good' or things like that because I know so many different kinds of people and I like all of them for different reasons. They are all good people who treat others with respect and who work hard and like to have fun. They aren't hateful or angry people. However, they can vary 180 degrees in their views from each other and with me depending on the issue. Some of them will have loved that speech and maybe even her but they really aren't ignorant they just are focused on different things depending on the lifestyles they have and the community they live in.

Someone, I wish I could recall who, made a great statement that I try to keep in mind:

The goal of debate should be not victory, but progress.

^^ an excellent quote. I agree with your thinking in the posts you've made throughout this thread.

Long before this election- years, in fact-was under way I knew which party was going to get my vote. They could have nominated a cardboard cut out and gotten my vote. The only thing that could have changed that for me would have been a truly viable Third Party candidate. I may not be happy this time with the actual candidate chosen, but I'm not happy with what has been happening here either. So there's the Devil and the deep blue sea.

I'm older and I'm cynical- this will be the 5th presidential election I've voted in- and I really don't believe that any one side is truly better. I see good and bad in both. I know people on both sides- good people, bad people, and have voted on both sides. I live in a state that has had a really good Repub Gov-, a city that elected a really fucked up Repub mayor twice....and now has a pretty good so far Dem Gov.

I've come to believe there are two types of politicians: those that are already corrupt when they get to Washington, and those that are corrupted by Washington once they get there. The Republicans are owned by special interests, and the Democrats are owned by different special interests. Because this is how I feel, I see the worm in both apples, but I see how people can feel connected to both one side or the other, while at the same time I feel connected to neither.

I enjoy all the political debate, but really dislike the belittlement that I see sometimes. There are intelligent people on both sides here at GR, and it really would be boring if this section was a back patting love fest of everyone in agreement.

That's my manifesto for today. I'll keep all the rest of my posts to a few lines
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread Information