Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Anyone watching Sarah Palin's speech?

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    That's not what I'm debating.
    What a woman wants to do to with her body is not my business. I see both sides of the issue.. but I believe women should have a choice.

I'm just sick of people comparing abortion and war.
    Basically just b/c someone is Pro-Life doesn't make them a hypocrite if they believe in War. In War the soldiers make the choice to be there...

That's all I'm saying.
    Okay, thanks for clarifying...

Those are the real issues - in Europe abortion, gay marriage arent that important compared to the state of economy or education and the health system.

By the way last night speech did have an impact - 10 million dollars was raised but get this for Obama lol
    Ben Smith's Blog: Political News about Democrats and the 2008 Election - Politico.com

Believing in war, in killing, murder, be it on the battlefield or electric chair is incongruent with a 'pro life' ideology.

War tends to butcher civilian populations who had no choice in the matter.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ exactly!

I think people get heated because they ARE seriously worried about the future. I think we can all agree that we love our country and that we are proud of it at its core, even if we don't agree with what government does at all times.

What I find offensive is when someone says "small town people are ALWAYS proud of their country" or the like, or saying THEY are the ones who fight for their country while ignoring the numerous others. Its a backwards way of questioning someone's patriotism who is not a part of that life. Its a frustrating and hateful thing to question someone's patriotism every time they show concern about the future of the party. And this, I feel personally, is what the Republican party does time and time again. Don't agree with us? Well, fuck you and take your "hating America" ass back to where you come from. Not much about opening up healthy dialogue about how we can go about fixing major problems within our country. Don't get me wrong, I have major problems with the Democratic party as well (this is why I am an Independent). But over the last ten years the Republican party has really changed, almost into a downward spiral. You can't question things without often being accused of being anti-American. You can't question Israel without often being accused of being anti-semitic. Theres an element of fear that they use to keep everyone in line. In my opinion, the threat of terrorism has been magnified so much at the behest of the Republicans that people are willing to ignore many, many other MORE important issues that threaten to destroy our country. It really is "you are either for us or against us." When in reality, we should be focused on uniting the country. Now, they doesn't absolve the Democrats from their own responsibility and damaged party, they have their own issues. But in my opinion, the Republicans are doing much more to actually irreparably damage the country and ruin our image all over the world, which makes us ripe for even more terrorism. Now there is the irony, isn't it?

I listened to Sarah Palin's speech. It was all fluff and no substance. Did she deliver it well? Absolutely. But there was nothing mentioned about how they plan on helping Americans recover from a struggling economy and bringing our troops back home. Rather, it was all about a war that we are THIS close to winning (really), how McCain was an honorable POW, and Sarah McCain has five kids. Now, I agree that Obama was all fluff too at times, but in his last speech to the DNC, he clearly outlined his positions and how he was going to change America for the better. It was an amazing speech that incorporated all he needed to, but in Palin's speech it was all about getting the troops riled up. It was running off pure emotion (look at my kids! look at my family!) then off of substance.

It is offensive to me that because she's a woman, she's treated with kid gloves by the other candidates as well. She should be treated like any other candidate, vagina be damned. God forbid if McCain passes and she inherits the Presidency, the leaders of the free world aren't going to give her that consideration.

I do agree that people shouldn't be called "stupid" but I think some people are just amazed that others can buy into this so easily. It raises peoples' hackles because they are very concerned. It does become personal for people because everyone is concerned about their own personal future.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    As long as gays can't marry, Roe v. Wade is under attack and there's someone standing up there thumping the Bible with their fingers crossed behind their backs, then yes, they welcome 4 more years of this shit.

They don't give two shits about the war, the causualties of war, the economy, education, job creation, the environment, health care, social security, deficits, foreign affairs, or anything else. As long as some bigoted hypocrite who God called to the pulpit and who shares their beliefs is standing tall, they're good to go.

Trot out the Bible, the gays and abortion and you've got an automatic cheering section regardless of what other harm you've allowed or ignored. Pretty scary shit if you ask me.
    ****My previous post was related to the 9/11 fear thing that was mentioned.......

Anyway, I agree with Nwgirl...it is awfully frustrating to see people get swayed by issues like 'gay marriage' or even 'abortion' that actually have no real impact on their day to day lives while they continue to support people who give all kinds of 'welfare' to corporations like Wal-Mart. It comes down to emotions. It also really bugs me how all someone has to do is say 'God' enough times and people think that means they are a really good person and fit to run a country. I'm also tired of people looking for their elected officials to provide moral and spiritual guidance....take your ass to church for that. Your Senators, Congressmen, and Presidents should not be in the soul saving business.

From her speech:
    But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate.
    What about this one?

Bush signs Obama's first bill into law

'Google for Government' bill creates database of government spending

By: Riley Roberts, Staff Writer

Posted: 10/3/06

U.S. Senator Barack Obama's first piece of legislation, the so-called "Google for Government" act, made it through both houses of Congress last month. When President Bush signed the bill into law last Tuesday, the freshman lawmaker scored his first solo victory in his longtime campaign to increase government accountability.

It was a big day for Obama, D-Ill., who has partnered with other senators on previous acts but never authored successful legislation himself.

"I finally got a bill passed," he told The Associated Press.

The legislation, proposed in conjunction with Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., will create a Web site designed to allow Americans to search a comprehensive database of government grants, contracts, insurance, loans and financial assistance. The act is slated to go into effect by no later than January 1, 2008.

"He's thrilled that it passed," said Tommy Vietor, Obama's press secretary, in an interview with The Daily Illini. "It represents a bipartisan effort to make government spending more transparent for everyday Americans as well as the media."

The public's reaction to the provisions of the act has been positive.

"I think (the law) sounds like a good idea," said Erinn Mitchell, sophomore in LAS and a registered voter in Illinois. "It's a mystery where the money is. Especially given the history of Illinois, it's understandable why he's proposing it. People want to know where their money is going."

Despite Obama's collaboration with his Republican colleagues and widespread public support, several lawmakers anonymously threatened to pigeonhole the legislation before it ever reached the Senate floor.

"The opposition held the bill up for awhile, but thanks to the support of bloggers on both the left and the right, (Obama) was finally able to get it passed," Vietor said.

The concrete impact that members of the blogosphere were able to have on policymakers displays an impressive potential for public activism, Vietor said.

Even in the wake of this recent success, though, Obama is not resting on his laurels.

"The Senator has a number of pieces of legislation in the works right now," Vietor said. "Just (last) week, Congress passed another bill authored by Obama and Coburn, designed to stop abuse of no-bid contracting in the aftermath of disasters like Hurricane Katrina."

In addition to this legislation, press releases issued by Obama's office indicate that the senator is reaching across the aisle to develop several other bipartisan acts to increase education grants and provide funding for military assistance to the Sudan, among other things.

Despite media speculation about a presidential run in 2008, Vietor said, Obama remains focused on serving the American people in the role he occupies now.

"He likes his job in the Senate," Vietor said. "He's going to keep doing what needs to be done and fighting for his constituents. The passage of the 'Google for Government' act was a part of that."

"It will shine the light," Obama said to the Associated Press. "The famous saying that sunshine is the disinfectant. This will apply some sunshine on the budgeting process. It's just one step. We've got to take more steps to control how we spend money here and make sure it's spent wisely."
    The Daily Illini - Bush signs Obama's first bill into law
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

what, a lie? No way.

*kicks her in the vagina*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yep.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I think people get heated because they ARE seriously worried about the future. I think we can all agree that we love our country and that we are proud of it at its core, even if we don't agree with what government does at all times.

What I find offensive is when someone says "small town people are ALWAYS proud of their country" or the like, or saying THEY are the ones who fight for their country while ignoring the numerous others. Its a backwards way of questioning someone's patriotism who is not a part of that life. Its a frustrating and hateful thing to question someone's patriotism every time they show concern about the future of the party. And this, I feel personally, is what the Republican party does time and time again. Don't agree with us? Well, fuck you and take your "hating America" ass back to where you come from. Not much about opening up healthy dialogue about how we can go about fixing major problems within our country. Don't get me wrong, I have major problems with the Democratic party as well (this is why I am an Independent). But over the last ten years the Republican party has really changed, almost into a downward spiral. You can't question things without often being accused of being anti-American. You can't question Israel without often being accused of being anti-semitic. Theres an element of fear that they use to keep everyone in line. In my opinion, the threat of terrorism has been magnified so much at the behest of the Republicans that people are willing to ignore many, many other MORE important issues that threaten to destroy our country. It really is "you are either for us or against us." When in reality, we should be focused on uniting the country. Now, they doesn't absolve the Democrats from their own responsibility and damaged party, they have their own issues. But in my opinion, the Republicans are doing much more to actually irreparably damage the country and ruin our image all over the world, which makes us ripe for even more terrorism. Now there is the irony, isn't it?

I listened to Sarah Palin's speech. It was all fluff and no substance. Did she deliver it well? Absolutely. But there was nothing mentioned about how they plan on helping Americans recover from a struggling economy and bringing our troops back home. Rather, it was all about a war that we are THIS close to winning (really), how McCain was an honorable POW, and Sarah McCain has five kids. Now, I agree that Obama was all fluff too at times, but in his last speech to the DNC, he clearly outlined his positions and how he was going to change America for the better. It was an amazing speech that incorporated all he needed to, but in Palin's speech it was all about getting the troops riled up. It was running off pure emotion (look at my kids! look at my family!) then off of substance.

It is offensive to me that because she's a woman, she's treated with kid gloves by the other candidates as well. She should be treated like any other candidate, vagina be damned. God forbid if McCain passes and she inherits the Presidency, the leaders of the free world aren't going to give her that consideration.

I do agree that people shouldn't be called "stupid" but I think some people are just amazed that others can buy into this so easily. It raises peoples' hackles because they are very concerned. It does become personal for people because everyone is concerned about their own personal future.
    I couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    ****My previous post was related to the 9/11 fear thing that was mentioned.......

Anyway, I agree with Nwgirl...it is awfully frustrating to see people get swayed by issues like 'gay marriage' or even 'abortion' that actually have no real impact on their day to day lives while they continue to support people who give all kinds of 'welfare' to corporations like Wal-Mart. It comes down to emotions. It also really bugs me how all someone has to do is say 'God' enough times and people think that means they are a really good person and fit to run a country. I'm also tired of people looking for their elected officials to provide moral and spiritual guidance....take your ass to church for that. Your Senators, Congressmen, and Presidents should not be in the soul saving business.
    ITA to both your posts.

RE: terrorism and my comment about 9/11 and fear mongering: I think we should all be concerned about terrorism. But not to the exclusion of everything else going on in our country. And I don't think it should just be a talking point to scare people into choosing one party or candidate over the other. Which is what I've seen that point devolve into - a sound bite.

Add to that my personal opinion that the war in Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11, and it's even more insulting to have someone use that as an example (the Iraq war) or basis for their argument that they're keeping me safe. Disband Al-Queda, kill Osama and all his little friends, find and break the sleeper cells apart, and then yes, I could go along with the "keeping me safe" vein. But that's not what I see happening, and it's not where I see the majority of our resources, time and energy being spent.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    RE: terrorism and my comment about 9/11 and fear mongering: I think we should all be concerned about terrorism. But not to the exclusion of everything else going on in our country. And I don't think it should just be a talking point to scare people into choosing one party or candidate over the other. Which is what I've seen that point devolve into - a sound bite.

Add to that my personal opinion that the war in Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11, and it's even more insulting to have someone use that as an example (the Iraq war) or basis for their argument that they're keeping me safe. Disband Al-Queda, kill Osama and all his little friends, find and break the sleeper cells apart, and then yes, I could go along with the "keeping me safe" vein. But that's not what I see happening, and it's not where I see the majority of our resources, time and energy being spent.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

That Palin person kills Sea Otters for decorative fixtures in her house.

^Is that supposed to be a link to something. I can't get it to go anywhere if it is...

She's like freaking Cruella De Vill

Thread Information