Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Republicans on this board.... any at all???

I grew up with fiscally conservative, atheist/agnostic parents and was a legacy Republican until about 10 years ago when I finally started thinking for myself. The Republican party has become anti-intellectual and mean spirited with the hijacking by fundamental Christians. The lack of social tolerance (except for their own when they "sin") and the hypocrisy (Larry Craig, Bob Livingston, Newt Gingrich anyone?) is appalling. What about "He who casts the first stone...? Jesus taught you that, remember?

Oh and I'm not a Democrat either. The Democrat party is far from perfect as well. Wish there was a true centrist party blending the best policies of Democrats, Republicans and Libertarians.

erm.. dems seem pretty centrist.. they're barely left. Really. You actually don't have a true left wing party. You have the ems, which govern from the middle and then you have Rethugs which are pretty hard right.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Although, the Canadian definition of left wingism (is that a word?) does not jive with American politics, I can see that I may have misspoken on my thoughts about a centrist party. Let me rephase it to state that I would prefer a hybrid party or even better an administration that incorporates the best ideas of the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian platforms. The country would be a much better place.

*wonders if the Rethugs have any good ideas at all*

Seriously.. everything out of them seems so .. horrible
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    I know Democrats who are very anti gay and pro life. That was not the only reason I made my decision for this election. I base my decision on many factors. Sorry but that is just how I feel. Not sure if you were directly speaking to me
    And I know some people in my party who don't support the values. However their values and the party's values are different. I can say not support massive tax increases, but if I vote for my party and in the very amazingly rare circumstance they'd win, there would be massive tax increases.

I don't expect everyone to agree with every single aspect of their party, but for me there are some black and white issues. Discrimination against LGBT people, not cool, ever, to me, that's akin to racism. And any party who supported that, would not be getting my vote, no matter how many other things I might like about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *wonders if the Rethugs have any good ideas at all*

Seriously.. everything out of them seems so .. horrible
    I like the repeal of the estate tax. Worked out well in my favor. Money shouldn't be double taxed.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Although, the Canadian definition of left wingism (is that a word?) does not jive with American politics, I can see that I may have misspoken on my thoughts about a centrist party. Let me rephase it to state that I would prefer a hybrid party or even better an administration that incorporates the best ideas of the Democratic, Republican and Libertarian platforms. The country would be a much better place.
    amen!! that would truly get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenofeve View Post
    And I know some people in my party who don't support the values. However their values and the party's values are different. I can say not support massive tax increases, but if I vote for my party and in the very amazingly rare circumstance they'd win, there would be massive tax increases.

I don't expect everyone to agree with every single aspect of their party, but for me there are some black and white issues. Discrimination against LGBT people, not cool, ever, to me, that's akin to racism. And any party who supported that, would not be getting my vote, no matter how many other things I might like about them.
    I don't know what to say to you. you have your opinion and I have mind and I respect that. I just know that at the end of the day I know in my heart that I am not anti gay, or pro life, and that I am ok with my vote for this past election. I have my reasons for not voting Democrat this go round ( and no it has nothing to do with race so please no one tell me it was, thanks). I don't need to justify my reasons for my beliefs and once again like other republicans on this board I feel like I am becoming a lamb out to slaughter. I don't need to be judged as a person and that is how I am beginning to feel. I have stated before in this thread I belong to no specific party. I vote for the candidate and not solely on the party.

I respect the opinions of this thread and ask for the same in return.
    Last edited by Tati; April 13th, 2009 at 11:21 AM.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I know I am a schmuck for saying this but I liked her and I consider myself someone with a half a brain She is not THE reason I voted Republican this time ( I have voted Dem, and Ind in the past and will again if I like what I see ) but I liked her a whole lot better than Biden as vp's go. I am not talking about the presidential candidates. I am so GLAD that the elections are over. Talk about stress.

( ok I would like the rope I am going to be hung from to be a spring color... hmmmm let's say pink 'k ).

once again I just wanted to say thanks for making this thread a respectful one with all types of responses. I appreciate it.
    I'm not going to hang you, but the statement about Biden doesn't make any sense to me. Seriously?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    I like the repeal of the estate tax. Worked out well in my favor. Money shouldn't be double taxed.
    I don't think you can get too excited about a "repeal" of the estate tax. It will never happen next year. The very simple fact is that the estate tax affects a VERY small percentage of estates. The tax cannot be be fully repealed because of cost basis. With a tax in place EVERYONE (whether or not a tax ultimately get paid) gets a step up (or down) in the cost basis in the hands of the beneficiary. No tax = No basis correction and creates a tax, administrative and bookkeeping nightmare. It just will not happen.

I don't know what to say to you. you have your opinion and I have mind and I respect that. I just know that at the end of the day I know in my heart that I am not anti gay, or pro life, and that I am ok with my vote for this past election. I have my reasons for not voting Democrat this go round ( and no it has nothing to do with race so please no one tell me it was, thanks). I don't need to justify my reasons for my beliefs and once again like other republicans on this board I feel like I am becoming a lamb out to slaughter. I don't need to be judged as a person and that is how I am beginning to feel. I have stated before in this thread I belong to no specific party. I vote for the candidate and not solely on the party.

I respect the opinions of this thread and ask for the same in return.
    I have a few issues with those things that's bolded.
    If you know you're not anti-gay or pro-life, then how could you like the republican ticket? Especially knowing what they wanted to do with abortion. If there was ever a ticket who wanted to do away with abortion rights, it was McCain and Palin. And if you have to say it had nothing to do with race..then...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    If you know you're not anti-gay or pro-life, then how could you like the republican ticket? Especially knowing what they wanted to do with abortion. If there was ever a ticket who wanted to do away with abortion rights, it was McCain and Palin. And if you have to say it had nothing to do with race..then...
    That's ridiculous. Don't accuse someone of being racist just because they didn't vote for Obama. Maybe she didn't like some of his policies, plain and simple. I was waiting for this bullshit to come up. I voted for Obama, and even I'm sick of seeing people get accused of being racist just because they didn't vote for him. Maybe there are other reasons. True, we might not agree with those reasons, but that's what makes this country so great- the freedom to choose.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Diva, I totally understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. But those issues may not be the tipping point for other voters. I agree that you cannot necessarily divorce a candidate (regardless of his or her individual platform) from his or her party's platform and that is an extremely valid point. And while equal rights and freedom of choice may be your, mine and perhaps 60-70% the other posters' overriding concerns and deciding factor, it may not be viggo's. Viggo may look at tax voting records or may look at military funding voting records or red cap on thursday voting records as how to determine who to vote for. Any of those are legitimate for viggo to make voting decisions based on.

Viggo, I think Diva is simply saying that you cannot say you are for equal rights or pro-choice if your vote goes to a party that sytematically and vehemently opposes those things. You may not have as strong an opposition (or any opposition) as the Republican party does, but if you vote for a Republican candidate, then you are voting for the Republican platform - which adamently includes the denial of equal rights to a growing percentage of the population and the denial of a woman's right to control her own body.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Diva, I totally understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. But those issues may not be the tipping point for other voters. I agree that you cannot necessarily divorce a candidate (regardless of his or her individual platform) from his or her party's platform and that is an extremely valid point. And while equal rights and freedom of choice may be your, mine and perhaps 60-70% the other posters' overriding concerns and deciding factor, it may not be viggo's. Viggo may look at tax voting records or may look at military funding voting records or red cap on thursday voting records as how to determine who to vote for. Any of those are legitimate for viggo to make voting decisions based on.

Viggo, I think Diva is simply saying that you cannot say you are for equal rights or pro-choice if your vote goes to a party that sytematically and vehemently opposes those things. You may not have as strong an opposition (or any opposition) as the Republican party does, but if you vote for a Republican candidate, then you are voting for the Republican platform - which adamently includes the denial of equal rights to a growing percentage of the population and the denial of a woman's right to control her own body.
    thank you. those are precisely some of the issues I have.I have a variety of reasons for not voting for the Democratic ticket . I am sorry if anyone doesn't like my choice of vote what can I say, I voted and at least I did that. I know people who didn't vote at all this go round. As for anyone thinking I am racist well I am not. I could care less if a person was pink with polka dots as long as the person does their job. I look at a person as a person and not at their skin tone. I said what I said b/c it seems that the minute someone says they don't care for President Obama then they are a racist. Would you call a person who voted for McCain a racist if that person were not white. I would also like to point out that BOTH parties in the vp debate did not feel that there should be gay marriages. I was actually surprised about that to be honest.

Look I am not here to get into a fight with anyone. We all have different viewpoints and that is a good thing imo. Have a good day.

I'm not going to hang you, but the statement about Biden doesn't make any sense to me. Seriously?
    I didn't care for Biden as a choice for vp. that was all I was saying.
    Last edited by Tati; April 13th, 2009 at 11:22 AM.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

but.. Palin? I mean, even after all that racist crap and her blatant idiocy? I can see not liking Biden, but.. Palin is a moron! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
    That's ridiculous. Don't accuse someone of being racist just because they didn't vote for Obama. Maybe she didn't like some of his policies, plain and simple. I was waiting for this bullshit to come up. I voted for Obama, and even I'm sick of seeing people get accused of being racist just because they didn't vote for him. Maybe there are other reasons. True, we might not agree with those reasons, but that's what makes this country so great- the freedom to choose.
    I wasn't accusing her of being racist because she didn't vote for Obama. She said it had nothing to do with race, why say it if no one was accusing you of it...unless you feel guilty about it.
    And if I was going to accuse someone of being racist it would go like this... Racist much? or That was very racist of you! or You're just racist!
    Last edited by *DIVA!; April 13th, 2009 at 11:04 AM. Reason: SHUT UP! I don't make that mistake!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information