Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Census sentiment

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Well I got the long form and am pretty much not going to answer it except for how many people. I felt it was too intrusive.
    There is no long form this year. The form for the 2010 Census is the same for everyone. The data that used to be collected in the long forms is now collected in the American Community Survey.

If you didn't fully fill out the form, a Census worker may show up at your doorstep later this year to collect the information you neglected to fill out. So, if you haven't mailed it yet, perhaps you should fill out the remaining questions per person listed by the form, so they don't have to come by later.

And, by the way, you're required by law to do so.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    What are the questions that are intrusive?

edit: is this it? http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf
    Yes quite similar.

What are the questions that are intrusive?

edit: is this it? http://www.census.gov/dmd/www/pdf/d-61b.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    I saw this one online last year & there's no way in hell i would answer all those questions. It's none of their damn business how many BR's are in my house, the land it's on, what time people leave for work & how long it takes to get there. A census is a head count. That's all they're gonna get.
    FYI - you're looking at the long form from the 2000 Census (10 years ago). This form is not current. This information is now collected in the American Community Survey. American Community Survey & the 2010 Census

Sput and Grim, you're on to something. Maybe it's because this is something Yanks can actually say no to, which they can't really do to the cameras, etc
    You got it. Absolutely because you got to ask what the hell is next? Cameras in your house? Little by little you lose everything. JMHO.

last i checked the census has been around for a couple hundred years.

In other countries, THOUSANDS.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    There is no long form this year. The form for the 2010 Census is the same for everyone. The data that used to be collected in the long forms is now collected in the American Community Survey.

If you didn't fully fill out the form, a Census worker may show up at your doorstep later this year to collect the information you neglected to fill out. So, if you haven't mailed it yet, perhaps you should fill out the remaining questions per person listed by the form, so they don't have to come by later.

And, by the way, you're required by law to do so.
    Yeah. The American Survey lady came out a few months ago and I didn't answer quite a few of her questions and she was ok with it. And by law, you only have to answer how many people are living in your home. I actually worked for Census in the last count and that was all we were required to do when we went out to collect the information from people. Just how many.

FYI - you're looking at the long form from the 2000 Census (10 years ago). This form is not current. This information is now collected in the American Community Survey. American Community Survey & the 2010 Census
    oooh ok. i have no problem with how many, age or even race. That form is fine. All that other stuff they were going to have to check public records on their own time or just guess. I never saw that form in 2000. But you're right. It is.

Yeah. The American Survey lady came out a few months ago and I didn't answer quite a few of her questions and she was ok with it. And by law, you only have to answer how many people are living in your home. I actually worked for Census in the last count and that was all we were required to do when we went out to collect the information from people. Just how many.
    oooh ok. i have no problem with how many, age or even race. That form is fine. All that other stuff they were going to have to check public records on their own time or just guess. I never saw that form in 2000. But you're right. It is.
    Really? What is it with the non-response attitude toward federal statistics? Everyone these days likes to quote the unemployment rate, the rate of inflation, this, that, and the other thing... where do you think this information comes from?? If you don't respond to a government statistical suvey such as the ACS, you're just insuring that the statistics out there will have some non-response bias, meaning the statistic won't be portraying whatever is is measuring as accurately as it could. Great.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Yep. HELLO? Mary and Joseph were not on vacation when Jesus was born. They had travelled to Bethlehem for the CENSUS.

Really? What is it with the non-response attitude toward federal statistics? Everyone these days likes to quote the unemployment rate, the rate of inflation, this, that, and the other thing... where do you think this information comes from?? If you don't respond to a government statistical suvey such as the ACS, you're just insuring that the statistics out there will have some non-response bias, meaning the statistic won't be portraying whatever is is measuring as accurately as it could. Great.
    Well i can't very well fill out a form i didn't get.And how many BRs my house has & how long it takes to get to work, take a shower or scratch my ass is none of their damn business.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

You got it. Absolutely because you got to ask what the hell is next? Cameras in your house? Little by little you lose everything. JMHO.

Didn't you hear about the primary school that was going to put cameras in the classroom because those little 8 year old shits were stealing pencils or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Stop talking sense!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I agree and I have no problem filling out the Census. I used to use a lot of the data in my previous career in market research and it's helpful as an aggregate. I'm more concerned with my credit score and how every little transaction is being judged (fairly or unfairly), which can cost me higher charges, credit denial, and denial of a job. Those credit scoring companies are the ones we should be focused on.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    I agree and I have no problem filling out the Census. I used to use a lot of the data in my previous career in market research and it's helpful as an aggregate. I'm more concerned with my credit score and how every little transaction is being judged (fairly or unfairly), which can cost me higher charges, credit denial, and denial of a job. Those credit scoring companies are the ones we should be focused on.
    Good point! Credit agencies are bullshit, because they are basically run by morons who act with impunity. I think the States should do like a lot of European countries and make credit collection come under a government agency. Then there is recourse. I know because I've faced a false report in Europe...and I won!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

See this is what i'm saying. That's fine. That's the information i've always answered before.

I agree. There has to be a line.

.And how many BRs my house has & how long it takes to get to work, take a shower or scratch my ass is none of their damn business.
    FYI - number of bedrooms, how long it takes to get to work, etc., this info is used for economic modeling - housing costs, transportation costs, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information