Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Amid swine flu outbreak, racism goes viral

Denying health care is NOT the answer...but HELLO...somebody has to pay for it. And Just Kill Me, get over it. You do not live down here and see this first hand every day for yourself so get off your high horse and come and live it.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

ITA people need to live here to see how bad it is. Even liberals like me are sick of it. Our school system is crumbling and this is one of the reason, not the only one, but one of the main reasons.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    You don't have to be a citizen to pay taxes. I'm a legal immigrant and pay all the same taxes as anyone else. There is a difference.
    But you're a legal immigrant. You didn't sneak into the country and you're paying into the system. It's not the same with illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    Denying health care is NOT the answer...but HELLO...somebody has to pay for it. And Just Kill Me, get over it. You do not live down here and see this first hand every day for yourself so get off your high horse and come and live it.
    Exactly. You don't want anybody to be denied real medical treatment, but somebody has to pay for it. And the sad reality is that there are too many people in this country who don't get treatment because they can't afford it.

well, I have to pay for the insurance I use & feel that since I pay for mine & my kiddos, everyone else should have to pay for their shit too. It's that simple. Let's just be fair about it - why the hell should I pay for me and 2 or 3 other people to go to the doctor?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(ē_ē)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    U. S. Citizens don't get turned away at the door and neither do illegals.
    JKM - you are correct they will provide us with care but they will then come after us and put leins on anything we own and sue us for the services. Keep in mind that they will also charge us more. People who have insurance get charged a negotiated rate. People who have no insurance and no assets get charged nothing. Those who are unisured but have assets are charged higher fees and stand to lose everything. One of the leading causes of bankruptcy is unpaid medical bills. People are forced into bankruptcy because they cannot afford insurance and illegal immigrants get the same care and pay nothing.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

ITA people need to live here to see how bad it is. Even liberals like me are sick of it. Our school system is crumbling and this is one of the reason, not the only one, but one of the main reasons.
    How many times does it need to be said? California's school system has been crumbling since Prop 13 passed in the late 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    JKM - you are correct they will provide us with care but they will then come after us and put leins on anything we own and sue us for the services. Keep in mind that they will also charge us more. People who have insurance get charged a negotiated rate. People who have no insurance and no assets get charged nothing. Those who are unisured but have assets are charged higher fees and stand to lose everything. One of the leading causes of bankruptcy is unpaid medical bills. People are forced into bankruptcy because they cannot afford insurance and illegal immigrants get the same care and pay nothing.
    I agree. Also I was at the hospital for about four hours at the ER once, the nurse told me that the ER has become a personal doctor for most of the illegal aliens. They go there even if they have a sniffle, and why not? They don't pay a dime. It was obvious that 75% of the people in the ER weren't there because they were deathly sick or with broken bones. Its really frustrating.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Oh eff this. I'm a LEGAL immigrant in this country (actually, I got my citizenship years ago) and I have a job that pays taxes and I pay for my own insurance.

And I hate when people who are here ILLEGALLY, therefore breaking the rules, get free medicine or get to go to the doctor for free. Fuck that. I pay for my medicine and copays out of my OWN check so I don't intrude on my mom, and they get everything for free?

That just doesn't seem fair. Refusing medical service seems barbaric, but if I was a doctor and had my medical school bills to pay for and I wasn't getting paid for helping a patient, I'd be pretty pissed off. Although in life or death situations, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let someone die.

I'm not anti-immigrants, I'm against people abusing a system that I end up paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    How many times does it need to be said? California's school system has been crumbling since Prop 13 passed in the late 70s.
    Prop 13 is not an issue anymore. It only applied to houses bought on or before the 1970's date. After that you were taxed on the value. New houses are tax horrendously just like every other state.

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    Oh eff this. I'm a LEGAL immigrant in this country (actually, I got my citizenship years ago) and I have a job that pays taxes and I pay for my own insurance.

And I hate when people who are here ILLEGALLY, therefore breaking the rules, get free medicine or get to go to the doctor for free. Fuck that. I pay for my medicine and copays out of my OWN check so I don't intrude on my mom, and they get everything for free?

That just doesn't seem fair. Refusing medical service seems barbaric, but if I was a doctor and had my medical school bills to pay for and I wasn't getting paid for helping a patient, I'd be pretty pissed off. Although in life or death situations, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I let someone die.

I'm not anti-immigrants, I'm against people abusing a system that I end up paying for.
    I agree totally. I just wish they wouldn't say illegal or citizen, there are people who are legal immigrants and not citizens. I know they don't mean us when they say illegals. I should shut up and stop whinning.

^ I get you. My husband is a hardworking legal immigrant who faithfully pays his taxes and jumped through the hoops to get his green card. It can be done, and illegal immigrants do such a disservice to people who did it the right way. Its really frustrating. Its especially frustrating to be labeled as racist or xenophobic because you oppose illegal immigration - nobody opposes immigration, we are a nation full of only immigrants. But do it the right way! Damn, this makes me angry.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Prop 13 is not an issue anymore. It only applied to houses bought on or before the 1970's date. After that you were taxed on the value. New houses are tax horrendously just like every other state.
    Bullshit. It applies to the purchase price of your house regardless of whether you bought it before 1978 or after. Prop 13 is a major headache in raising revenue for basic state needs. Cities and counties have had to resort to taxing tons of other things to make up the difference. The state of California's schools have been sinking since it's passage. And because a home value is frozen when bought, people stay in the same house much longer rather than sell and buy something new. It's been one of the causes of so much sprawl in that state.
    As a result of Proposition 13, there are obvious distortions in the real estate marketplace. For example, in 2003 financier Warren Buffett announced that he pays property taxes of $14,410, or 2.9 percent, on his $500,000 home in Omaha, Nebraska, but pays only $2,264, or 0.056 percent, on his $4 million home in California. Although Buffet is known as an astute investor, the low property taxes on his California home are not attributable to his investment prowess, but rather to Proposition 13.
    The Lock-in Effect of California's Proposition 13

I have to apologize to you, my husband informed me that although if you bought your house in the 70's you could keep the low tax, apprently it does rise 1% a year I think. That is not a lot, and when the price of the houses drop it makes it even worse. So my mistake. Prop 13 screwed us up for a long time. However you aren't going to get people to go back to the old tax base now.

No problem. It can rise up to a maximum of 2% a year but that's it. California is going to have to figure out something to fix it. If they don't, then the state is just going to suffer more and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information