Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amid swine flu outbreak, racism goes viral

Hey guess what, pigs in Alberta have swine flu.. a farmhand went to mexico and came back with it and gave it to the pigs.

Guess Canada needs to be blockaded
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Deny medical treatment??? Seriously major wtf, should doctors start checking citizenship before giving treatment, well then I guess every country should do this and heaven forbid something happen while traveling. That's just INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Once they die they can be swept back into the street. Garbage collection will eventually pick them up.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Deny medical treatment??? Seriously major wtf, should doctors start checking citizenship before giving treatment, well then I guess every country should do this and heaven forbid something happen while traveling. That's just INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree. And pretty sick too. But I guess it's easy to say for some when they're not the ones who actually see or treat sick people. As a nurse I can't imagine turning any human being away in need, but I guess that's just me.

Very christian of them, huh?.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I don't dispute that people already here won't spread it. But I think it's idiotic not to try to keep it contained by doing our best to prevent an influx of even more infected people. The more infected people we have here, the more quickly it will spread. All of the "horses" AREN'T out of the "barn," and we need to keep it that way.
    Why close the borders when you don't even know how it's being spread? If the virus is airborne then closing the borders won't change anything, and that's why the horses have already left the barn.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

its not the people or the pigs, its the virus mutating

The barn door/horse comment that Obama made does not make any sense. Yes, there are people here who are already infected. But why does that mean we shouldn't try to prevent MORE people from coming and spreading the virus even more extensively? They are closing down schools and even sports venues which have or have a high likelihood of having infected people. But suggesting they prohibit travel to and from Mexico until they get this under control is wrong? I don't believe it is.

As far as denying them medical care, I don't feel that it's our responsibility to make sure they all have affordable health care, and I do believe that a lot of them WILL come here when they realize they are infected so that they can take advantage of our medical facilities and get the best treatment available without paying a dime. That poses a threat to our citizens.
    Sure, let's throw the sick and contagious people out on the streets because that will definitely help stop the spread of the virus.

While we're at it, why don't we stop treating the 46.6 million US citizens that don't have health insurance. I'm sure they'll get message pretty quickly to stop coughing on the rest of us, and then they won't be driving up costs for you and me.

Also, name one place in America with affordable health care? If this country actually had affordable health care, then medical bills wouldn't be the leading cause of bankruptcy for Americans, accounting for more than 50% of all bankruptcies - and most of those people actually had health insurance.

Part of the reason insurance premiums are so high for American citizens is because they have to account for the illegals who use medical services that they can't or won't pay for (and then get sue-happy if anything goes wrong). I feel very, very strongly that American hospitals should stop catering to this and simply refuse to treat illegals. They have hospitals there, and they can use them. Apparently, the word ILLEGAL doesn't mean anything anymore and suggesting that we actually enforce our laws is wrong.
    Actually, a huge part of the problem with our health care system is that 1/3 of our health care spending goes to insurance bureaucracy and profits. The fact that our health care is a for-profit business means that our health will always be sacrificed for someone else's profits.

Maybe if instead of not treating sick people, we focused on fixing those problems, we'd actually have affordable health care.

Our first priority should be to our own citizens. We currently cater to illegal immigrants in our healthcare system at the expense of tax-paying citizens (financially and, in this case, at the expense of our safety as well), and I think it needs to stop.
    There are lots of problems with illegal immigration, but throwing sick people out on the streets is not a solution.

As for closing the borders, from what I've seen a huge number of illegal immigrants are not exactly crossing at border checkpoints, so it would take a large amount of spending to really close our borders. Then again, some don't have problems with big government when it involves handing people guns and pointing them at foreigners. It's only when it involves helping US citizens with health care or social programs that big government is evil and threatens our precious way of life.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

I have news for yall..the border wall has magical disease-neutralizing powers. That's why it cost so much. Duh.

Whatever. I hate saying anything in these threads because I have the potential to get really pissed off.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ and mexicans did something to cause a Virus to mutate and affect humans all of a sudden (when really the swine flu has been around for decades), they must be wizards y'all!

Something to do with tacos and guacamole, I'm sure.

As far as denying them medical care, I don't feel that it's our responsibility to make sure they all have affordable health care, and I do believe that a lot of them WILL come here when they realize they are infected so that they can take advantage of our medical facilities and get the best treatment available without paying a dime. That poses a threat to our citizens.

Part of the reason insurance premiums are so high for American citizens is because they have to account for the illegals who use medical services that they can't or won't pay for (and then get sue-happy if anything goes wrong). I feel very, very strongly that American hospitals should stop catering to this and simply refuse to treat illegals. They have hospitals there, and they can use them. Apparently, the word ILLEGAL doesn't mean anything anymore and suggesting that we actually enforce our laws is wrong.
    Oh bullshit. The reason premiums are so high is that HMOs operate to make profits. They're not non-profits! A former CEO retired from one of them (I don't remember which one) with a parting gift of half a billion dollars. There's your premium increase right there.

Our first priority should be to our own citizens. We currently cater to illegal immigrants in our healthcare system at the expense of tax-paying citizens (financially and, in this case, at the expense of our safety as well), and I think it needs to stop.
    And yet, if I visit to France, the UK or Norway and get sick, I'll get medical treatment. All three countries don't base citizenship as a requirement for medical treatment. A person in need is a person in need. Didn't the Good Samaritan story teach you that?

I don't have a problem with people who are here legitimately receiving treatment, which they pay for. I have a problem with people who are here illegally getting it and not paying for it, and especially with people who get sick and then come over here illegally to take advantage of that.

IMO the way undocumented workers use the emergency room as primary care drains taxpayer money. It's great for people to come here, this country is a nation of immigrants actually, but they need to do it legally and pay the same taxes Americans do. Everyone who receives medical care in this country should ideally be a legal citizen and pay taxes. Of course this is not to say we should ever refuse to treat them if they're in dire need of care, just that they are draining resources by coming here the wrong way. I would never support deporting people who are already here or separating families, but I do think we need secure borders.

As far as swine flu goes, it's spread by human to human contact, and as such people who are already sick should be quarantined (as anyone with the flu would be). But ultimately the media is what's scaring people. This is just the flu, and so far no Americans (besides the boy traveling from Mexico to the US) have died of it, and the reported deaths in Mexico were initially over-reported. Not to mention the actual death toll seems miniscule compared to the 30,000+ people who die of the (regular) flu annually. Of course everyone needs to be cautious, particularly the elderly, those with diseases and parents of children, but swine flu is not going to start killing off the whole population.
    Last edited by nycgirl; May 3rd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

I don't have a problem with people who are here legitimately receiving treatment, which they pay for. I have a problem with people who are here illegally getting it and not paying for it, and especially with people who get sick and then come over here illegally to take advantage of that.
    There are plenty of legal citizens (sometimes insured as well) who are in need of and receiving treatment they will be unable to pay for. What if you fell ill or were in need of emergency care you couldn't pay for? What if it happened to you in another country and they turned you away? I think that's just disgusting and inhuman.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

This should not be a thread about illegal immigration. I have strong opinions on that. I teach in an elementary school 14 miles from the border. However, stopping Mexicans coming across will do nothing. Most of the cases are AMERICANS coming back from Mexico and bringing it here, not the illegals sneaking across. Also someone mentioned they think it might have actually started in California. Our pig farms are atrocious, and I wouldn't be surprised.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information