Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59

Thread: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

  1. #31
    Bronze Member practical magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    outer space
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    I am proud to be an American - this country has given me everything I could have ever dreamed of having and more. I appreciate what my father and grandfather did for our country.

    People always bitch and moan and whine - they will also fade away. This administration sucks - and so will the next one - and the next one - and the 2 before - they all do. But the people that are bitching now, will always bitch.

    I am sure to be deleted for forming an opinion in a political thread - but oh well. I hope I spelled everything correctly.
    There's nothing wrong with being patriotic. I see your view as refreshing compared to the people who don't even live here who complain and label us all in one group. I got your back Chones.
    Are you there God, it's me Margaret?

  2. #32
    Gold Member deckchick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canadian eh?
    Posts
    832

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by practical magic View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being patriotic. I see your view as refreshing compared to the people who don't even live here who complain and label us all in one group. I got your back Chones.
    I too believe in being patriotic. I am a Canadian, and very proud of it.

    There is a huge difference between complaining and discussing different opinions.

    Us "foreigners" will always have something to say about The USA, the simple fact is that anything the USA does tends to effect all of us.

    While we are bashing Bush and Co. for their politics, I don't think we are bashing Americans at all.

    As I have stated previously whether we are Canadian, American, British or Iraqi, the majority of us just want to be able to live our lives with a home and food and safety for our families. It is just terrible when there is a war going on and your house and family get blown to bits. Us Canadians and Americans have never had to deal with that, yet. The Brits & Iraqis and many other countries know the terror of war. I truly hope we in North America never have to either.
    Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

  3. #33
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    It is discouraging that anyone who voices an opinion different from the "Bushites" is seen as "bitching" and viewed as unworthy simply because they do not carry an American passport. This board is administrated by a Canadian. Does that make it any less valuable?

    The "I've got your back" attitude does little to build bridges in the world. No one needs to have anyone's "back" here, IMO. Unlike the real world, there are no bombs exploding, or shots being fired. We're all safe in front of our computers...for now.

  4. #34
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    I too believe in being patriotic. I am a Canadian, and very proud of it.

    There is a huge difference between complaining and discussing different opinions.

    Us "foreigners" will always have something to say about The USA, the simple fact is that anything the USA does tends to effect all of us.

    While we are bashing Bush and Co. for their politics, I don't think we are bashing Americans at all.

    As I have stated previously whether we are Canadian, American, British or Iraqi, the majority of us just want to be able to live our lives with a home and food and safety for our families. It is just terrible when there is a war going on and your house and family get blown to bits. Us Canadians and Americans have never had to deal with that, yet. The Brits & Iraqis and many other countries know the terror of war. I truly hope we in North America never have to either.
    excellent post -

  5. #35
    Bronze Member practical magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    outer space
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    t is discouraging that anyone who voices an opinion different from the "Bushites" is seen as "bitching" and viewed as unworthy simply because they do not carry an American passport. This board is administrated by a Canadian. Does that make it any less valuable?
    Well it's discouraging to people on this board who aren't extreme liberals that they are seen as "bushites." I don't support Bush but I still like my country. He is just a small part of this country. And I thank my lucky stars, everyday that I am here and not stuck in Iraq or some third world country.
    Are you there God, it's me Margaret?

  6. #36
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by practical magic View Post
    Well it's discouraging to people on this board who aren't extreme liberals that they are seen as "bushites." I don't support Bush but I still like my country. He is just a small part of this country. And I thank my lucky stars, everyday that I am here and not stuck in Iraq or some third world country.

    Rickles - I am right behind you with that exact same thinking.

    Opinions are opinions - up to each to discard what they feel is relevant. Why the militant lefties feel the need to continually label people (neocons, bushites, etc.) is beyond me. But to each their own.

    Sound off - get your opinion off your chest - be prepared for a rebuttal - move on.

  7. #37
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    ^^ I don't consider myself a liberal, much less an extreme liberal. I am sorry that I mistook you for a "Bushite," but it was based on your posts that I have read. That's the problem with labels -- they leave no room for real people who never fit into those kind of narrow definitions.

    The reason I have it in quotes is that it's not a real word, and also I was making fun of the labels that get tossed around here.

    What is a liberal anyway? The word has become so bastardized of late that it has lost all meaning. I am a citizen of the world. Ideas interest me, not labels.

  8. #38
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    Rickles - I am right behind you with that exact same thinking.

    Opinions are opinions - up to each to discard what they feel is relevant. Why the militant lefties feel the need to continually label people (neocons, bushites, etc.) is beyond me. But to each their own.

    Sound off - get your opinion off your chest - be prepared for a rebuttal - move on.
    Speaking of labels, you are tossing around quite a few of your own! I am not a "militant leftie" either. Practice what you preach.

  9. #39
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Speaking of labels, you are tossing around quite a few of your own! I am not a "militant leftie" either. Practice what you preach.
    thought you had me on ignore - I has mistook you for a militant leftie - so sorry. wont happen again.

  10. #40
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    thought you had me on ignore - I has mistook you for a militant leftie - so sorry. wont happen again.
    Your apology lacks sincerity, whereas mine to Magic was sincere.

    If I admit that I was wrong to use a label, then why does it make it right for you to do so?

    I took you off ignore because I felt that it was unfair and wanted to try again.

  11. #41
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Your apology lacks sincerity, whereas mine to Magic was sincere.

    If I admit that I was wrong to use a label, then why does it make it right for you to do so?

    I took you off ignore because I felt that it was unfair and wanted to try again.
    like I said - I was mistaken - heartfelt. no labels here -

  12. #42
    Elite Member Mr. Authority's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Royal Oak,MI
    Posts
    4,631

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    What is a liberal anyway? The word has become so bastardized of late that it has lost all meaning. I am a citizen of the world. Ideas interest me, not labels.
    The word "liberal" has been bastardzised by conservatives and the MSM alot. They put the spin that being "liberal" is bad and dangerous. I know that my liberal friends call themselves "progressive" instead of liberal, but I think there one in the same and I don't see the need to change a word anyway.

    That being said, I too am proud to be American citizen and live in the most free country in the Western Hemispehre, but that does'nt mean I'm going to blindly carry an American flag,bash other countries and pretend everything the government does is good. I have rights to voice my opposition to the government and I'll damn well use them. Even if I get my patriotism questioned (which reminds of that argue I got in another board) then I'll just defend my right too express my views in another way.

  13. #43
    Elite Member Lobelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    a backwards hillbilly state
    Posts
    20,801

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    What happened to all the posts that were on here last night? Some were removed but SVZ said not to do that, because we don't censor, & now they're gone.

    I put a lot of time into a post that was quite relevant to this thread. I was *lamenting* the *image* of *Americans* *abroad* (in my thread, abroad = Canada... does that count?)

    Yes, it was directed at someone in particular, but I am an American, this person is not, and I feel like this person's so-called facts about us were quite questionable.

    Poof! But no censorship.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

    Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

  14. #44
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    Let's move on then... (this post is to Chonesy)
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 29th, 2005 at 03:32 PM.

  15. #45
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mercy Street
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

    I'm curious regarding what posts might have led people to assume that Practical Magic is a "Bushite". I suppose that being rational, not joking about the death of Bush and his administration and not referring to anyone who doesn't agree with the prevailing opinion on this board as a "neocon" will lead to a preconceived notion as being a "Bushite". I hope that's not true because that attitude is not a very good one for debate and a free exchange of ideas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Neocon laments for the days when Japs were in concentration camps
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 7th, 2006, 10:45 AM
  2. Canada Doesn't Help It's Citizens Abroad
    By UndercoverGator in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •