Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

Default Re: American laments tarnished US image abroad

Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    the USA has been looking for a 51st state - maybe the District of Canada would work...
    Again, nothing to do with the topic at hand.. what relevance is this? lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    the USA has been looking for a 51st state - maybe the District of Canada would work...

Get your grubby hands off of Canada.

I stole this from here a while ago...

Vegetarian - Old Indian word for "Bad Hunter"

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Percentage wise shockingly little in comparison with other - less economically blessed - countries.
    Very true, I'm sorry to say. When you break it down, the amount given per citizen is miniscule compared to other countries. And remember, what is promised isn't what is always delivered.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Americans used to have the reputation of "good guys," at least among their allies, but that started to fade after the Vietnam war. I think it's safe to say that nobody (apart from Bush Republicans) believes in absolute good or evil any more.

That said, I do think the irresponsibility displayed during the Iraq war has cost the U.S. dearly. And it's not just the war -- the bullying tactics and nasty "diplomacy" practiced by the Bush administration has alienated a lot of countries. Foreign relations are at an all-time low -- even in Canada. You can't practice big stick tactics in foreign policy without reaping the consequences.

The U.S. has isolated itself on some huge issues, and seems to be going backward while the rest of the developed nations are moving forward. Just because 9/11 happened does not give the U.S. the right to behave anyway it sees fit -- the U.S. is not a tinpot dictatorship and shouldn't be acting like one. As well, much is made of 9/11 and rightly so. But Canada suffered international terrorism BEFORE 9/11 when Sikh miliants blew an Air India jet out of the sky killing more than 300 Canadian citizens.
    i totally agree.
    in europe, there's always been a certain amount of snobbery towards americans - there were loads of jokes about their ignorance, their food, their obesity, the accents, etc. but they were jokes. in the past few years, i've noticed people are getting more and more pissed off about watching the US do whatever the hell it wants and completely disregard its commitments to the international community, and then come and demand that other countries support them in a war they don't agree with and in which they have no say.
    even in latin america, where most people were constantly kissing the americans' ass despite getting shafted by them economically (not to mention the decades of covert CIA operations, puppet dictators put in place, etc), there is a definite change of attitude and people are beginning to question their aggressive economic policies and strong-arm tactics, all disguised behind the 'we're doing it to rid the world of terrorists' discourse, and to promote democracy.
    i understand that americans are frustrated and pissed off by the fact that the rest of the world seems to be cosntantly bashing them, but after a while, it should make more people stop and think, and maybe question what their government is doing outside its borders, and how that is perceived by other countries and cultures. i think the article is spot on when it says:

It's a job that involves travelling, sharing, living our values, encouraging our children to learn foreign languages and work and study abroad. In short, it means giving something back to the world. We must stop behaving as if we are in a permanent state of war, in which any practice is justified by the exigencies of the moment.
    every time i go to the states, i'm surprised at how little importance and emphasis is put on the rest of the world in the media. i mean, the news talks about other countries, but always in relation to the US, and if it doesn't concern the US then the info is always brief and summary

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The thing is, Americans see themselves and their country as that stupid light on the hill and are taken aback when the illusion turns out to be a crock.
    No offense Grimmlok (!!!) but I really hate your assumption that all Americans think that way.I grew up in a very multicultural neighborhood in Flushing,Queens.There were people from Argentina to Yugoslavia (when there was still a Yugoslavia LOL) and even Iran...I got to know these people as individuals and it would never even occur to me to dislike,put down or think I was better than someone because of where they are from.

A lot of us don't agree with what Bush/the govenment is doing,but what can we do?Protest? It's not so easy to just pick up and do when you have a job and a family to support (besides you see where protesting has gotten Cindy Sheehan)

Grimm, I would sincerely appreciate it if you would continue to argue with facts only, as you value this so much, and not make blanket, general statements about what Americans think. There is no way for you to know what we all think. I don't even think there's a valid method to determine what the majority of us think, because I don't particularly believe the statistics that result from polls. When you make statements that include the words "Americans think....", you are making a huge presumption that is not factual. I know this because any time you do it, you are wrong about what I think.

I realize that a person can have an impression of a nation of people & their way of thinking, based on whatever experiences they have had, but you make such a point that you argue with facts, that I feel compelled to point this out to you. Yes, I know that my president sucks. Yes, I know that American foreign policy is heavy-handed, bullying & inconsistent. Yes, I know that America is reviled by many, and I can understand why, to an extent. This is why I don't post much in the political threads. I can't offer much in the way of defense, I'm not one to resort to head-in-the-sand patriotic rhetoric, but I'm not going to join in on the America bashing frenzy, either. I do draw the line when I'm being informed of how & what I think.

I've tried to just avoid the political threads altogether, because they're almost always the same. Down with America, death to America, the great scourge & evil of the world. Well hell's bells, I'm sorry, but I'm an American, and all that talk is discouraging & demoralizing. I would dearly love to right all the wrongs of this administration, but I can't. I can read about these topics on the internet, or in the newspaper if I want, without having to absorb all the disgust & contempt that several of you seem to have for the US, no matter what good it has done. (And it HAS done good in this world.) But I digress. My point is that, while I usually try to avoid the political threads, sometimes one keeps popping up & seems to be a really hot topic. So, I give in to my curiosity & look at it. Let me save you the trouble.... If I can't handle it, I shouldn't read it. Right. Just please don't presume to know what I think.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

We can always find statistics to support whatever view we want. That's all I'll say, & won't hijack the thread any further.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Great article, Grimm. I know alot of people who won't go overseas which can only lead to more isolationism and less understanding of the larger world. I maintain that the America of today is a long way away from the America I grew up in, where money wasn't paramount, people actually tried to do something interesting and good with thier lives and being an ignorant asshole was not revered but scorned. It breaks my heart.

When did you grow up, the 1700s? If you're a child of the 80s, which I suspect you are, then you grew up in the era when greed was good. C'MON.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The thing is, Americans see themselves and their country as that stupid light on the hill and are taken aback when the illusion turns out to be a crock.

You ought to open up a store called "Sweeping Assumptions R Us."

Default Re: Americans laments tarnished US image abroad

I was already in college in the '80's and was shocked to discover so many people were basing thier worth on how much money they were going to make. When and where I grew up, it was more about finding something that would make you happy, giving something back to the world, making the world a better place. All fuzzy and warm and I wish it was still like that.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    When did you grow up, the 1700s? If you're a child of the 80s, which I suspect you are, then you grew up in the era when greed was good. C'MON.

You ought to open up a store called "Sweeping Assumptions R Us."
    Fine, let me quantify that: About half of Americans see their country as that. Feel better? I know I do!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    I am not embarrassed about it..more like saddened and disgusted by the current administration. Don't they know that what goes around comes around and these things are going to come right back and bite the US in the ass? They(Bush) are being incredibly short-sighted in these regards...why can't they see the long-term big picture? Probably too full of themselves and greedy..or just maybe too damn wrapped up in their idealogy to see anything the way it really is.

I feel the same way. But I don't give Bush the benefit of doubt, he knew what he wanted to do when he was president. He knew what he wanted to do with the military at his fingertips. He wanted revenge for Saddam and he wanted the oil in Iraq, plain and simple. The thing that is biting Bush's ass now is that he never planned the aftermath of his actions or the tarnished image he's giving to the US, he's just an embarssment to this country and to the Americans that did or did'nt vote for him.

Me either MonkeyMix--most Americans I know love their country but are saddened by recent events.
    A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

I don't know that I LOVE my country. I'm just not that attached to a place that way. I like the country as a whole and there are a few select areas that I adore. But I am horrified not only by Bush but by a general attitude that seems more and more prevelant that scorns anyone who doesn't profess undying love to God and country. I think it's my DUTY as an American to do what I can to make my country a better place, if only because I have children and I don't want them growing up in a such an intolerant atmosphere.

People just weren't like this when I grew up, which was not in the 1700's but a bit later. It's sad that people know less but think they know more. And yes, I do believe that. There used to be something called a working man intellectual, a man/woman who worked in a blue collar profession, was proud of it, but didn't think it was a reason to be an ignoramus. That breed is nearly gone. Now, people regurgitate opinions heard on tv or read in a paper while taking a dump and they call it thinking.

And of course this phenomenon is not limited to the US--I've seen it many other places as well--but this discussion is about the US, so I'm pointing out what I see as happening. You may not agree...in fact, feel free to disagree. The discussion is interesting.

--Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I am proud to be an American - this country has given me everything I could have ever dreamed of having and more. I appreciate what my father and grandfather did for our country.

People always bitch and moan and whine - they will also fade away. This administration sucks - and so will the next one - and the next one - and the 2 before - they all do. But the people that are bitching now, will always bitch.

I am sure to be deleted for forming an opinion in a political thread - but oh well. I hope I spelled everything correctly.

I don't think the moral outrage seen today is any different than past generations experienced. Of course the advances in modern technology do put it right in your face and to me, that makes it more prevalent.

That being said...I love this country and I'm hopeful for it's future. I guess I'm an optimist because I can't see any other way to be. For me to run around screaming doom and gloom would mean I've let it consume me and I'm not enjoying lfe. And, there's way too much to be thankful for and enjoy. And Chonesy - I think you have a point. *scurries under the desk waiting to be thrown to the wolves with Chonesy*
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
    Miss Piggy
    US Muppet and Pig

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information