Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: American kids, dumber than dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    And out in the real world, our Regents diploma means nothing. All that hype for nothing.

Despite requiring that all students pass the Regents, NYC still has one of the worst public school systems in this country.

I know!!

This made no sense to me at the time:

They phased out the requirement b/c not enough students were passing with honors.

For what, to save face?

What a confidence booster in the NYC school system for us parents and our smart kids.

Well, not all are designed for greatness.

Truthfully, not everyone is destined for that 100K job with a bright & shiny corner office.

We still need someone to heed the call of:

"Clean up on isle 4!"
    Last edited by Tati; October 24th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.

The scary thing in the US is that the problem isn't really caused by the lack of funding for education - it compares rather well with other Western countries - but the deep ingrained anti-intellectualism that prevails now more than ever and will be very difficult to remedy

Quote Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
    Well, not all are designed for greatness.

Truthfully, not everyone is destined for that 100K job with a bright & shiny corner office.

We still need someone to heed the call of:

"Clean up on isle 4!"
    Less than ever, automatisation and outsourcing have changed the landscape
    Last edited by Tati; October 24th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

A*O

i dun c the prblm. ur all h8ters coz u can spel n reed n shit
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    i dun c the prblm. ur all h8ters coz u can spel n reed n shit
    Love it. Sad, but true.

LV BRTNY ALN

h8 u
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

That's really sad. People need to live in a poor country for a while, and then come back to realize how important an education truly is.

Or perhaps live as a minority; everyone assumes because I'm black all I know is hip hop and the ghetto. My family understood that education was the key to making it in the world, but TV and the media present the message that all you need to be is cute, and you're golden....guess not.
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm trying to think if I could give a good definition of either democracy or agriculture off the top of my head. I mean further than agriculture is about farming and democracy is a form of government based on the will of the people (supposedly). Hmmm....
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think some of it falls on the parents, who are lazy. I was talking with someone who had a 4th grader, who *gasp* had to do about 15-20 minutes of homework nightly. This mom was so pissed and put out that she had to help her child with homework every night (because according to her, she had "other, more important things to do"..which was chatting in a parenting chat room mind you). She actually said at one point that it wasn't her job to help with her child's education, but that it was solely the teacher's job.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    I think some of it falls on the parents, who are lazy. I was talking with someone who had a 4th grader, who *gasp* had to do about 15-20 minutes of homework nightly. This mom was so pissed and put out that she had to help her child with homework every night (because according to her, she had "other, more important things to do"..which was chatting in a parenting chat room mind you). She actually said at one point that it wasn't her job to help with her child's education, but that it was solely the teacher's job.
    And that ,friends, is the major problem. Lazy parents. Raised by lazy parents.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My mother works for the school board and tells me the same stories of parents saying that education falls solely on the teacher and the schools. These parents have no idea what classes their kids are taking, they don't ask them if they have homework, or sit down with them to review the homework. Nothing.

The only problem I've ever had with my son's homework is math, and that's because they literally don't teach them anything. He will come home with problems that he's never done before and the teacher has not explained how to do them. I think it's called the new math or something. I don't get it. They give them a work book, which is the only text they have, and then have them work in groups and "figure it out". It's the most bizarre thing to me ever.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    The only problem I've ever had with my son's homework is math, and that's because they literally don't teach them anything. He will come home with problems that he's never done before and the teacher has not explained how to do them. I think it's called the new math or something. I don't get it. They give them a work book, which is the only text they have, and then have them work in groups and "figure it out". It's the most bizarre thing to me ever.
    Yeah, if I had kids and they looked to me for math help, they would fail. Still, you at least know your kid is in math and it's some difficult shit

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Yeah, if I had kids and they looked to me for math help, they would fail. Still, you at least know your kid is in math and it's some difficult shit
    Oh God yes. Thankfully I have the internet. My kid's been bringing home math homework since 4th grade that I can't do. Math is definitely not one of my subjects.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Oh God yes. Thankfully I have the internet. My kid's been bringing home math homework since 4th grade that I can't do. Math is definitely not one of my subjects.
    Sad that I can't do forth grade math either. If it can't be done on a calculator, then I'm no good.

Elite Member

Yep, I have a first grader and it's the same thing. They send homework and it seems like he's never seen those types of problems before. I have to teach it to him. Not only that, the problems seems way beyond grade level. Like, they're still doing basic addition, right? Well, some of the problems are like this:

How many legs on 10 cows? Read, draw, solve.

Well, that's easy for us, 10 x 4 = 40, right? Well, he knows how to count by 10's but no one had ever explained the concept of using that to solve this problem. They want him to draw the cows and the legs and then count to 40. It's tedious for him and I don't blame him for not wanting to do it. Why give a child a problem that requires multiplication before the concept is introduced?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information