Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airport pat-downs often ineffective security stop

Elite Member

I am so done with flying, if I ever return to Europe I will have to become a better swimmer.

The last time I flew, when I was unpacking I discovered all my perscription medications were taken from my luggage. I went into a panic. Thousands of miles from home and I didn't have the meds required. I had enough on hand for 3 days. My doctor overnighted some extras for me. The airline took no responsibility. Yes, the locks on my luggage were broken.

I haven't had any issues (yet) with my TSA approved locks; I've never flown internationally, except back and forth to Canada, so maybe that's the difference. I did have a lock sawed off one bag before I bought the TSA locks, but nothing was taken. I've also had my luggage searched on domestic flights (with the courtesy note in your luggage saying it's been filched thru), but the lock was intact.

Yeah, I got a note - it was in the ziploc bag that my cordial was in. I laughed when I saw it!

But i've not locked my stuff since, and always carry anything important (meds, etc) in my hand luggage.
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Where did you guys fly where people looked through the bags. That's never happened to me. I wonder if destinations have anything to do with it.

U.S. to Europe, my bags almost always get searched. I just almost never have anything of value in there.

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    Where did you guys fly where people looked through the bags. That's never happened to me. I wonder if destinations have anything to do with it.
    All baggage is potentially subject to search. Destinations do not have anything to do with it.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    U.S. to Europe, my bags almost always get searched. I just almost never have anything of value in there.
    That's interesting because it's always us-us where mine get done.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    change of clothes incase my luggage gets lost, a book (or two depending on the length of the flight) toiletries (see 1st point), phone, ipod, coat/wrap since I'm likely to be moving from one weather system to another....
    I even do this on domestic flights - I usually fly as late as possible and I don't want to be shopping for clean undies at dawn if my bag gets lost!

If I'm only going for a few days I usually fly hand luggage only, anyway. It beats waiting hours for a backpack to come 'round the carousel, and one change of clothes and pajamas is usually enough. It'd be a waste to check it all in.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    That's interesting because it's always us-us where mine get done.
    I've noticed that the short leg trips--like 2 hrs and under--I (well my bags) almost never get searched. Every once in a while on longer flights like west-to-east-coast domestic flights, my bags get that TSA note that they've been searched.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; January 2nd, 2010 at 10:29 PM.

A*O

I don't lock my checkin bag so if they want to take a look then can without busting the locks. I use soft bags with zips these days anyway and keep the zips closed with plastic ties from Home Depot. But that's to prevent them accidentally opening, not to keep anyone out. A determined thief can get into any bag in 10 seconds flat anyway. I keep valuables with me in a small carry-on bag and try to take as little as possible.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Pack light & carry anything with you that you ever want to see again-meds,jewelery,one change of undies. I always plan on the luggage getting lost. Never has happened & I think that is the key!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
    Pack your purse in your suitcase.

I don't carry a purse, so I'm out of the loop here. What beyond a wallet, Passport, phone, tampons or medication is so essential to bring on a trip?
    The pockets they put on women's clothing (if they even sew any on at all! ) are shit. You're lucky if they're deep enough to securely hold your phone, so good luck trying to fit a phone, wallet, passport, keys, iPod and other plane essentials in the shallow, glorified decorations they claim are "pockets" on women's clothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information