Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 147 of 147

Thread: Ad addressing John McCain health issues banned by CNN, MSNBC

  1. #136
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,592

    Default

    To not believe in the bible is one thing, but to insult those who do believe in a higher being is another.

    There are many Christians who are able to keep their beliefs out of their work. It isn't impossible to do. Also, there are Christians, who believe in God, but believe the bible, as it is today, is a tool written by a man to oppress others. There are groups, although not as well publicized, who practice portions of Christianity along with portions of other religions deemed false by fundies.

    Christians are stereotyped as well. If you are an atheist, so be it. Don't assume all Christians are bible-thumping fundies. I don't assume all atheists are debauched anarchists.



  2. #137
    Elite Member dolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Personally I want a man who will be sworn in on the bible..
    You do realize there is separation of church and state in the US, correct? You do not have to swear on the bible. Likewise, you should not have to be a Christian to be President of the United States. As long as you swear to uphold the Constitution and actually do good for the American people I would think that would be enough.

    Back on topic. I think all 4 of the candidates should have to release their health records. If there is something very worrisome in those records the American public should have that knowledge available to them so that they can make an informed decision on who the best candidate really is.

  3. #138
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    To not believe in the bible is one thing, but to insult those who do believe in a higher being is another.

    There are many Christians who are able to keep their beliefs out of their work. It isn't impossible to do. Also, there are Christians, who believe in God, but believe the bible, as it is today, is a tool written by a man to oppress others. There are groups, although not as well publicized, who practice portions of Christianity along with portions of other religions deemed false by fundies.

    Christians are stereotyped as well. If you are an atheist, so be it. Don't assume all Christians are bible-thumping fundies. I don't assume all atheists are debauched anarchists.
    I understand, but this candidate who has made very clear her intention of combining church and state has gained fervent support among religious peoples BECAUSE of this intention.

    It's a ridiculous reason to support a candidate... prayer won't make the economy better, good policy does.

  4. #139
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    I understand, but this candidate who has made very clear her intention of combining church and state has gained fervent support among religious peoples BECAUSE of this intention.

    It's a ridiculous reason to support a candidate... prayer won't make the economy better, good policy does.
    As a Christian, a woman, and someone who is middle of the road, since I do not follow the pack but make my own decisions, I am saying I am absolutely disgusted by this Palin idiot.

    I am a Christian, but I am adamantly against any religion in state affairs and in the school. Why? The bible is subject to interpretation. All religious texts are. Leave your beliefs at home. Don't bring them to work. Don't put them in my child's classroom. If the state became church led, which church should lead? Catholic? Protestant? Pentecostal? Mormon?

    Those who strap themselves with explosives and march into crowded areas do so because they interpreted a religious text as saying it is acceptable. I refuse to allow someone else's interpretation to dictate my life.

    That being said, what worries me more than a fundie trying to change the country is a hypocritical fundie doing so. This woman's own beliefs obviously didn't work for her offspring. Why the hell would I want her damaging my family with her insanity and ignorance?

    Don't even get me started on her "abilities". Someone find them, then I will shoot them down.



  5. #140
    Elite Member bychance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    same here.

  6. #141
    Gold Member laynes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    What's round on the ends and high in the middle?
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Your bible has no place in government. Keep it in your church where it belongs.
    Yep..

    There's supposed to be separation of church and state...but yet we have "In God We Trust" on our currency??

    I'm not picking on religion..but it should be nowhere near the government. Actually.. a lot of things should be nowhere near the gov't.



  7. #142
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    You do realize there is separation of church and state in the US, correct? You do not have to swear on the bible. Likewise, you should not have to be a Christian to be President of the United States. As long as you swear to uphold the Constitution and actually do good for the American people I would think that would be enough.

    Back on topic. I think all 4 of the candidates should have to release their health records. If there is something very worrisome in those records the American public should have that knowledge available to them so that they can make an informed decision on who the best candidate really is.
    I know you are not required to swear on the bible..I am sure there was a president that did not..Wilcox maybe, not sure..
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  8. #143
    Elite Member louiswinthorpe111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    11,927

    Default

    ^^There has never been a President Wilcox. Do you mean Wilson? He was President during WWI.

  9. #144
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    ^^There has never been a President Wilcox. Do you mean Wilson? He was President during WWI.
    Yes Woodrow Wilson, but I'm not even sure it was him...I'm sure someone will set it straight though.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  10. #145
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    found it
    in Taking the Oath of Office
    The information below is courtesy of the Architect of the Capitol. It has been compiled by the Office of the Curator from contemporary accounts and other sources in the files of the Architect of the Capitol.




    PRESIDENTDATEEDITIONGeorge Washington1789Genesis 49:131 (Masonic Bible); opened at random due to hasteGeorge Washington1793Not knownJohn Adams1797Not knownThomas Jefferson1801, 1805Not knownJames Madison1809, 1813Not knownJames Monroe1817, 1821Not knownJohn Q. Adams1825Not knownAndrew Jackson1829, 1833Not knownMartin Van Buren1837Proverbs 3:172William H. Harrison1841Not knownJohn Tyler1841Not knownJames K. Polk1845Not knownZachary Taylor1849Not knownMillard Fillmore1850Not knownFranklin Pierce1853Affirmed instead of swearing the oath; did not kiss BibleJames Buchanan1857Not knownAbraham Lincoln1861Opened at randomAbraham Lincoln1865Matthew 7:1; 18:7; Revelations 16:73Andrew Johnson1865Proverbs 21Ulysses S. Grant1869Not knownUlysses S. Grant1873Isaiah 11:1-34Rutherford B. Hayes1877Privately, no Bible; publicly, Psalm 118:11-134James A. Garfield1881Proverbs 21:14,5Chester A. Arthur1881Privately, no Bible; Psalm 31:1-34,5Grover Cleveland1885Psalm 112:4-10; Bible opened by Chief Justice and by chance it fell to this Psalm6Benjamin Harrison1889Psalm 121:1-64Grover Cleveland1893Psalm 91:12-164William McKinley1897II Chron. 1:10; Bible given to him by Methodist church congregation7William McKinley1901Proverbs 164Theodore Roosevelt1901No Bible Theodore Roosevelt1905James 1:22-234William Howard Taft1909I Kings 3:9-114Woodrow Wilson1913Psalm 1194Woodrow Wilson1917Privately, not known; publicly, Psalm 468Warren G. Harding1921Micah 6:8 (Washington Bible)4Calvin Coolidge1923Not knownCalvin Coolidge1925John 1Herbert C. Hoover1929Proverbs 29:184Franklin D. Roosevelt1933, 1937, 1941, 1945I Corinthians 134Harry S. Truman1945Closed Bible held in left hand; right hand on upper cover9Harry S. Truman1949Matthew 5:3-11 and Exodus 20:3-1710Dwight D. Eisenhower1953Psalm 127:1 (Washington Bible) and II Chronicles 7:14 (West Point Bible)11Dwight D. Eisenhower1957Privately, not known; publicly, Psalm 33:1212 (West Point Bible)John F. Kennedy1961Closed Bible13Lyndon B. Johnson1963Missal14Lyndon B. Johnson1965Closed family Bible15Richard M. Nixon1969, 1973Two family Bibles, both open to Isaiah 2:416Gerald R. Ford1974Proverbs 3:5-617James E. Carter1977Family Bible open to Micah 6:818Ronald W. Reagan1981, 1985Mother's Bible open to II Chronicles 7:1419 (Both privately and publicly in 1985)George H. W. Bush1989Washington's Masonic Bible opened at random in the center; family Bible on top opened to Matthew 5William J. Clinton1993King James Bible, given to him by grandmother, open to Galatians 6:8William J. Clinton1997King James Bible, given to him by grandmother, open to Isaiah 58:1220George W Bush, family bible
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  11. #146
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Excuse me..Don't know about canada but in the good USA Presidents taking office take an oath and have the good bible right there with them..Most congressman as well..
    You got your religion peanut butter on my chocolate government....

    America was founded on political separation of church and state, as well should be. Go to Saudi Arabi or Iran or India or any other country run by religious extremists if you want your religion mixed with your government.

    Back ON topic - I haven't kept up on this issue. Has McCain or Palin ever even bothered to state why they've been reluctant to allow the public to see their medical records? I'd especially be interested to know if McCain still suffers from any PTSD symptoms and if his doctor has him on some sort of defense against senility drug like Aracept. Four years is a long time for someone that elderly.

  12. #147
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Are you going to parse this text so it's readable?
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    found it
    in Taking the Oath of Office
    The information below is courtesy of the Architect of the Capitol. It has been compiled by the Office of the Curator from contemporary accounts and other sources in the files of the Architect of the Capitol.




    PRESIDENTDATEEDITIONGeorge Washington1789Genesis 49:131 (Masonic Bible); opened at random due to hasteGeorge Washington1793Not knownJohn Adams1797Not knownThomas Jefferson1801, 1805Not knownJames Madison1809, 1813Not knownJames Monroe1817, 1821Not knownJohn Q. Adams1825Not knownAndrew Jackson1829, 1833Not knownMartin Van Buren1837Proverbs 3:172William H. Harrison1841Not knownJohn Tyler1841Not knownJames K. Polk1845Not knownZachary Taylor1849Not knownMillard Fillmore1850Not knownFranklin Pierce1853Affirmed instead of swearing the oath; did not kiss BibleJames Buchanan1857Not knownAbraham Lincoln1861Opened at randomAbraham Lincoln1865Matthew 7:1; 18:7; Revelations 16:73Andrew Johnson1865Proverbs 21Ulysses S. Grant1869Not knownUlysses S. Grant1873Isaiah 11:1-34Rutherford B. Hayes1877Privately, no Bible; publicly, Psalm 118:11-134James A. Garfield1881Proverbs 21:14,5Chester A. Arthur1881Privately, no Bible; Psalm 31:1-34,5Grover Cleveland1885Psalm 112:4-10; Bible opened by Chief Justice and by chance it fell to this Psalm6Benjamin Harrison1889Psalm 121:1-64Grover Cleveland1893Psalm 91:12-164William McKinley1897II Chron. 1:10; Bible given to him by Methodist church congregation7William McKinley1901Proverbs 164Theodore Roosevelt1901No Bible Theodore Roosevelt1905James 1:22-234William Howard Taft1909I Kings 3:9-114Woodrow Wilson1913Psalm 1194Woodrow Wilson1917Privately, not known; publicly, Psalm 468Warren G. Harding1921Micah 6:8 (Washington Bible)4Calvin Coolidge1923Not knownCalvin Coolidge1925John 1Herbert C. Hoover1929Proverbs 29:184Franklin D. Roosevelt1933, 1937, 1941, 1945I Corinthians 134Harry S. Truman1945Closed Bible held in left hand; right hand on upper cover9Harry S. Truman1949Matthew 5:3-11 and Exodus 20:3-1710Dwight D. Eisenhower1953Psalm 127:1 (Washington Bible) and II Chronicles 7:14 (West Point Bible)11Dwight D. Eisenhower1957Privately, not known; publicly, Psalm 33:1212 (West Point Bible)John F. Kennedy1961Closed Bible13Lyndon B. Johnson1963Missal14Lyndon B. Johnson1965Closed family Bible15Richard M. Nixon1969, 1973Two family Bibles, both open to Isaiah 2:416Gerald R. Ford1974Proverbs 3:5-617James E. Carter1977Family Bible open to Micah 6:818Ronald W. Reagan1981, 1985Mother's Bible open to II Chronicles 7:1419 (Both privately and publicly in 1985)George H. W. Bush1989Washington's Masonic Bible opened at random in the center; family Bible on top opened to Matthew 5William J. Clinton1993King James Bible, given to him by grandmother, open to Galatians 6:8William J. Clinton1997King James Bible, given to him by grandmother, open to Isaiah 58:1220George W Bush, family bible

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Where Barack Obama and John McCain stand on key issues
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: September 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
  3. Barack Obama criticizes John McCain on Senate floor, McCain hits back hard
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: May 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
  4. John McCain has anger management issues
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 5th, 2008, 12:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •