Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Across USA, food stamp use soars and stigma fades

we have another issue here. trading stamps for drugs, see it on the news fairly often
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm going to guess that's a very small percentage of people doing that. I've been to food pantries and done charity work and I can tell you that these people-teh children in particular-need the stamps and they need the food. Forget about the small minority that beat the system (like that doesn't happen with everything) and think about the vast majority that need it. I mean, come on, I would find it pretty damned hard to rustle up meals for a month on a few hundred dollars. It's not like it's a generous program.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    There's the rub, the cheaper food alternatives are the unhealthy kind. It also costs money to get to store, etc. etc.

It ain't all that easy.
    You're right, it's not easy. I'm glad that the Times covered this story.

A while ago we had to use WIC to get groceries for our daughter. We were (and still are) on one income and my husband's work was hit really really hard by the recession. He went from full time work to 20 hours a week because his employer couldn't find hours for him.

I broke down and went to the WIC food program and we were in the program for several months. I wanted to make sure our daughter had healthy food. They give you vouchers to buy specific foods (cereal, beans, juice, milk, etc). I went to the grocery store, already ashamed and feeling horrible about myself, and the fucking cashier was a rude bitch to me. I felt so terrible that I went home and cried. I never went to that store again.

People are fucking mean. You don't know how it is until you are in that situation. Some people do abuse the system, but I believe the majority of people aren't and do need the help. My husband got a new job so we are doing okay now, but I will never judge someone who is struggling. I was there before and it's a horrible place to be.

There will always be people that abuse the system. It may be selfish yes, however those same people are probably desperate to meet their needs (and wants), just like the fat cats do. Again, that only represents a tiny percentage of those that truly use the system and need help. Not everyone who is on welfare are breeders and simpletons. I hate that stereotype alot and most of it comes from those that are rich and greedy (instead of compassionate and charitable).

My parents were on food stamps when I was younger, but they got better jobs. Sadly, the better jobs are gone or are in the process of dissappearing. We'll see if the snot-nosed conservatives will spew thier "the poor are poor because they choose to live that way" bullcrap when they lose their money and jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    A while ago we had to use WIC to get groceries for our daughter. We were (and still are) on one income and my husband's work was hit really really hard by the recession. He went from full time work to 20 hours a week because his employer couldn't find hours for him.

I broke down and went to the WIC food program and we were in the program for several months. I wanted to make sure our daughter had healthy food. They give you vouchers to buy specific foods (cereal, beans, juice, milk, etc). I went to the grocery store, already ashamed and feeling horrible about myself, and the fucking cashier was a rude bitch to me. I felt so terrible that I went home and cried. I never went to that store again.

People are fucking mean. You don't know how it is until you are in that situation. Some people do abuse the system, but I believe the majority of people aren't and do need the help. My husband got a new job so we are doing okay now, but I will never judge someone who is struggling. I was there before and it's a horrible place to be.
    I remember that happening to you,I think. Didn't you post about it? Anyway, there is no shame whatsoever in needing help. So don't say "I broke down", you did what a responsible mother would have done. Furthermore,you and anyone else this happens to do not need to feel shame. This is money you have helped support by your taxes for years and will again. This is not shameful. And hold that head up-people who have the nerve to look down on you need horsewhipping.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^ Yeah, I posted about it here and I actually got tons of support. It's what made me feel better and I was really grateful for all the advice and comfort.

I say "I broke down" because that was the mindset at the time and I did feel ashamed at first. But after I "talked" to you guys and I reflected on the whole situation, I did change my mind. I did what I had to do, I wasn't robbing people or doing anything wrong. I was just a mom who wanted to feed her baby. I ended up finding a small market where they accepted my vouchers and treated me like a real human being, not a parasite to society. That was helpful too because I didn't have someone treating me like shit as soon as they saw my vouchers.

There's nothing wrong with saying you need help when you need help. My experience really opened my eyes to how horrible people can be to people using benefits they are entitled to. Screw them, one day they might be in the same position and need someone to help them out too. So now I just say, if you need the help, take it and be grateful that there are those resources available to us in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post

I remember this as well and agree with McJag. YOu didn't 'break down' you went and did what you needed to do to make sure your kid was ok. It's your right to ask for food stamps if you need them and you have nothing to be ashamed of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    There will always be people that abuse the system. It may be selfish yes, however those same people are probably desperate to meet their needs (and wants), just like the fat cats do. Again, that only represents a tiny percentage of those that truly use the system and need help. Not everyone who is on welfare are breeders and simpletons. I hate that stereotype alot and most of it comes from those that are rich and greedy (instead of compassionate and charitable).

My parents were on food stamps when I was younger, but they got better jobs. Sadly, the better jobs are gone or are in the process of dissappearing. We'll see if the snot-nosed conservatives will spew thier "the poor are poor because they choose to live that way" bullcrap when they lose their money and jobs.
    Agree 100%. I don't give a flying crap about the small percentage that abuse the system. It will happen no matter what but I do not want to see kids-or adults, for that matter-starving in a country that has a surplus of food.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I remember that happening to you,I think. Didn't you post about it? Anyway, there is no shame whatsoever in needing help. So don't say "I broke down", you did what a responsible mother would have done. Furthermore,you and anyone else this happens to do not need to feel shame. This is money you have helped support by your taxes for years and will again. This is not shameful. And hold that head up-people who have the nerve to look down on you need horsewhipping.
    Applause.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'm always amazed at the people (usually claiming to be "conservatives") who automatically paint anyone on assistance as a lazy loser, when in all likelihood, the person on "welfare" was laid off from a job where they did harder work in a day than some paper pusher does all month. Yes, there are those who abuse the system. It's not the majority, and even if it was, a few hundred bucks a month is cheap insurance to make sure their innocent kids get fed and they're not breaking into my house to feed their habits.

No, it's not fair that a small minority of lazies don't have to work. It's not fair that Paris Hilton doesn't have to work either. One's income is often not related to character issues at all and people need to check themselves when they think it does.

Deaddwarf - thank you for sharing your story. Even though most around here are compassionate people, it's a good reminder that there but for the grace of God go I.

DD- Never feel ashamed about doing the best for your daughter x

I know lots of people who have been on food stamps - my mom got them when we were kids. We needed them too, there were times when we didn't get to eat because the food stamps ran out. I have brothers who have used them or still do. I know people who need them and don't "qualify" and that really pisses me off, people don't go and apply for food stamps because it's fun or something that is rewarding, they do it because they NEED the damn relief that food stamps would provide.

DD, I remember that WIC incident - WIC is now supplied on a card just like food stamps, a card that you swipe and that way it "inconveniences" fewer bitches at the checkout line.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Why are idiots who are working the till in a grocery store getting all high and mighty about food stamps?

--Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Why are idiots who are working the till in a grocery store getting all high and mighty about food stamps?
    mostly, I've only ever seen them get high and mighty about the WIC because with WIC, each item would have to be rung up separately and verified and yadayadayada - which is why it is an improvement now that its on a card and can be used just like a debit card. Bad enough people have to feel down on their luck for having to ask for assistance, then you get to the grocery store and be made to feel like a beggar by the checkout bitch and the cranky old lady behind you!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

From the ailing resorts of the Florida Keys to Alaskan villages along the Bering Sea, the program is now expanding at a pace of about 20,000 people a day.
    OMFG!!! I know things are bad, really bad, but this number is just boggling my mind.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    mostly, I've only ever seen them get high and mighty about the WIC because with WIC, each item would have to be rung up separately and verified and yadayadayada - which is why it is an improvement now that its on a card and can be used just like a debit card. Bad enough people have to feel down on their luck for having to ask for assistance, then you get to the grocery store and be made to feel like a beggar by the checkout bitch and the cranky old lady behind you!

I just don't understand anyone looking down on people for going through a rough time. Many people have hard times and even if they don't get food stamps they have to struggle, scrimp and save to get by. There but for the grace of God/Allah/whomever go I and all that. I just don't get it. Worry about yourself and let everyone else worry about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    OMFG!!! I know things are bad, really bad, but this number is just boggling my mind.
    Scary, isn't it?

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information