Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Israeli Prez. gives US gov its new marching orders: "Bomb Iran or we will"

Default New Israeli Prez. gives US gov its new marching orders: "Bomb Iran or we will"

Alls i can say is enjoy your apocalypse. Have fun.

The primary imperative for the United States and President Barack Obama is to put an end to Iran's nuclear race, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said before his swearing-in Tuesday, adding that if the US failed to do so Israel might be forced to resort to a military strike on the Islamic Republic's nuclear installations.

"The Obama presidency has two great missions: fixing the economy, and preventing Iran from gaining nuclear weapons," Netanyahu told The Atlantic. The Iranian drive for a nuclear weapon was a "hinge of history," he said, emphasizing that all of "Western civilization" was responsible for preventing an Iranian bomb.

"You don't want a messianic apocalyptic cult controlling atomic bombs," Netanyahu said of the Iranian regime. "When the wide-eyed believer gets hold of the reins of power and the weapons of mass death, then the entire world should start worrying, and that is what is happening in Iran."

Netanyahu suggested that Israeli preemptive strikes against perceived threats were the result of the Jewish people learning from a long history of grappling against those who threatened their collective existence. He cited Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's repeated calls to "wipe Israel off the map," as well as a recent remark by the country's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, to the effect that Israel was a "cancerous tumor."

However, despite Iran's singling-out of Israel, he said, the rest of the world would be well advised to take the threat emanating from Teheran seriously. He voiced support for Obama's strategy of engaging Iran in dialogue, as long as the negotiations worked swiftly to convince Iran to relinquish its nuclear program.

"How you achieve this goal is less important than achieving it," he said, although he was not optimistic regarding the chances that dialogue could persuade Iran to reconsider its interests. Nevertheless, he said, economic sanctions could still make a difference. "I think the Iranian economy is very weak, which makes Iran susceptible to sanctions that can be ratcheted up by a variety of means," he said.

Iran's leadership, Netanyahu added, was not immune to pressure, but fanatic elements made it extremely dangerous to risk relying on economic sanctions alone.

"Iran is a composite leadership, but in that composite leadership there are elements of wide-eyed fanaticism that do not exist right now in any other would-be nuclear power in the world. That's what makes them so dangerous," he said. "Since the dawn of the nuclear age, we have not had a fanatic regime that might put its zealotry above its self-interest. People say that they'll behave like any other nuclear power. Can you take the risk? Can you assume that?"

Netanyahu cited Teheran's tactics during its protracted war with Iraq in the 1980s as evidence of irrational behavior on the part of Iran. "[They] wasted over a million lives without batting an eyelash," he said. "It didn't sear a terrible wound into the Iranian consciousness. It wasn't Britain after World War I, lapsing into pacifism because of the great tragedy of a loss of a generation. You see nothing of the kind."

PM: We may be forced to attack Iran | Iran news | Jerusalem Post
    *sigh*

I'm sure Obama will get right on obeying your orders, sir.

Geesh. Some people are awfully self important. Stupid flyspeck country can't even deal with its own problems. Wahhh.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I like how he thinks he's going to tell Obama and the U.S. what to do. And if Israel bombs Iran, I'm sure he'll expect the U.S. to help defend Israel when Iran strikes back and tries to wipe Israel off the map.

I guess he forgot the U.S. already has TWO wars to deal with, we don't need another one.

that's basically what he's threatening.

"If you don't bomb them because it's a stupid idea, then we will and you'll have to clean up the mess after! wahh!"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i can't believe that arrogant twat netanyahu is back in power.

Netanyahu cited Teheran's tactics during its protracted war with Iraq in the 1980s as evidence of irrational behavior on the part of Iran. "[They] wasted over a million lives without batting an eyelash," he said. "It didn't sear a terrible wound into the Iranian consciousness. It wasn't Britain after World War I, lapsing into pacifism because of the great tragedy of a loss of a generation. You see nothing of the kind."
    you mean like how the example of the jewish ghettos in europe should have taught israel that building walls around people isn't a good idea?

i don't like iran either but i don't think they will ever actually take action against israel directly. their crazy leader just likes to spew that crap all over the media.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think Israel is getting a little too cocky, since they've got the backing of the U.S.

But that 'backing' doesn't mean that the U.S. is going to back Israel if they strike out against another country, unprovoked. They should learn from the U.S. mistake with Iraq.

Then again, some of this might be Israel testing Obama to see where he stands, since Cheney was telling Israel that Obama was 'pro Palestinian' and wouldn't support them.

Pretty sure Obama is pro SANITY

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I like how he thinks he's going to tell Obama and the U.S. what to do. And if Israel bombs Iran, I'm sure he'll expect the U.S. to help defend Israel when Iran strikes back and tries to wipe Israel off the map.
    The current thinking is that Iran won't strike back at Israel in response. Israel has about 70 nuclear bombs of its own in at least one hardened missile site that Iran can't take out.

What Iran seems poised to do is to shoot missiles at Saudi Arabian oil refineries in retaliation, causing a cataclysmic ecological disaster. As well as using proxy elements in Lebanon to bomb Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The current thinking is that Iran won't strike back at Israel in response. Israel has about 70 nuclear bombs of its own in at least one hardened missile site that Iran can't take out.

What Iran seems poised to do is to shoot missiles at Saudi Arabian oil refineries in retaliation, causing a cataclysmic ecological disaster. As well as using proxy elements in Lebanon to bomb Israel.
    Seeing as how Iran has made it clear that they want to wipe Israel off the map, I doubt they would refuse to strike back directly against Israel. Besides Israel is surrounded by too many hostile Arab/Muslim nations, besides Lebanon, who won't hestitate to strike back at Israel in defense of Iran.

And it doesn't make any sense for Iran to be concerned with making an ecological disaster, if they get missle strikes from Israel. The only thing an Israeli missle strike will do is force Iran to step up it's efforts to become a nuclear power or to score some nuclear weapons to bomb Israel.

oh Amedenajadagabbayabbadabbadoo isn't even the real power, he's just a mouthpiece

Elite Member

Grimm, I am constantly amazed at your breadth of knowledge...I'm not being sarcastic. How do you have time to read all this stuff? I guess because you're single with no kids? I'm lucky to be able to read one book a month. Aside from reading a Newsweek or Time article on the elliptical once in a while, there's just no time to keep up with this stuff. When I do get to read news articles, I usually gravitate toward the ones on the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Seeing as how Iran has made it clear that they want to wipe Israel off the map, I doubt they would refuse to strike back directly against Israel. Besides Israel is surrounded by too many hostile Arab/Muslim nations, besides Lebanon, who won't hestitate to strike back at Israel in defense of Iran.

And it doesn't make any sense for Iran to be concerned with making an ecological disaster, if they get missle strikes from Israel. The only thing an Israeli missle strike will do is force Iran to step up it's efforts to become a nuclear power or to score some nuclear weapons to bomb Israel.
    All Israel has to do if it feels its existence is at stake is to throw a couple of nukes Iran's way. No other Arab country will intervene that point. Because they will be next. Israel views Iran with nukes as an "existential threat" and they are in a position to turn vast amounts of Iran into smoldering ruins uninhabitable for many years. But that only works if Iran doesn't yet have a nuke.

Also, Iran of course wouldn't be concerned about causing an ecological disaster, not to mention a huge shock to the oil market, by targeting Saudi refineries. That's the whole point of them doing it.

I peruse a few current event blogs during the day that deal with politics, skim the news for notables, and read stuff on here.

Trust me, i can't function in a real job. I don't remember anything that matters.. but historical/political/sci-tech meaningless informational flotsam i just absorb like a sponge.

Dunno why, always been like that. When i was a kid i would read the dictionary just to absorb info.

dont ask me to do long division or anything like that though.

Elite Member

Well, I must admit I was practically glued to CNN September-November, but my husband was getting pissed about me ignoring the family so I had to cut back.

So you're kind of a news idiot-savant?

How does your job allow you to have time on the internet throughout the day? My husband doesn't take breaks and barely has time to go to the bathroom. People are just at him all day long and in between he has project stuff and 700+ unanswered emails.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    All Israel has to do if it feels its existence is at stake is to throw a couple of nukes Iran's way. No other Arab country will intervene that point. Because they will be next. Israel views Iran with nukes as an "existential threat" and they are in a position to turn vast amounts of Iran into smoldering ruins uninhabitable for many years. But that only works if Iran doesn't yet have a nuke.

Also, Iran of course wouldn't be concerned about causing an ecological disaster, not to mention a huge shock to the oil market, by targeting Saudi refineries. That's the whole point of them doing it.
    Israel dropping a nuke on Iran would not deter some Arab nation, or terrorist group, from striking back. Hell, Hamas is right in Israel's backyard and they would have a field day retaliating against the Israelies.

Do you really think that Iran, or even a terrorist group filled with suicide bombers, wouldn't think twice about getting hold of a nuke and dropping it on Israel? As far as they would be concerned it would be the perfect justification for a Holy War/Jihad and they would get their reward in the afterlife.

And Iran would have bigger fish to fry than striking out at the Saudi oil fields if Israel sends a nuke their way.

I'm under the impression that Israel is positioning itself by releasing this information. I think they fear change in the Obama administration's strategy in the Middle East.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information