Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Award-winning anonymous blogger (Mudflats) outed by crazed legislator

Default Award-winning anonymous blogger (Mudflats) outed by crazed legislator

An Alaskan state legislator revealed in his constituent e-newsletter Friday the identity of an anonymous local blogger who was made famous by her criticisms of Sarah Palin during the 2008 presidential campaign season.

Mudflats blogger "Alaska Muckraker" (AKM) rose to blogger fame almost instantaneously when Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin was tapped to be John McCain's running mate, and the then anonymous blogger wrote "What is McCain Thinking? One Alaskan's Perspective" under the penname AKM. Little was known about Palin in the lower 48, and AKM provided a much-needed window throughout the campaign season into Palin's performance as governor of Alaska from a progressive viewpoint.

AKM earned the ire of Alaska Representative Mike Doogan (LD-25) of Anchorage (who happens to be a writer by trade) when AKM wrote a blog post about a rude email that Doogan sent to his constituents. He had saved up all of the emails from constituents on the Troopergate issue, and in December he responded to all of them at once, CC'ing a list of about thirty perfect strangers together in one email, telling them,

"Are you people nuts? You send me -- and everybody else in the legislature, from the looks of things -- Spam and then lecture me on email etiquette -- as if there were such a thing? Here's an etiquette suggestion: Abandon your phony names, do your own thinking and don't expect everybody to share your obsessions."

[Yes, that is the actual response that Doogan sent to his constituents.]

AKM posted Doogan's own words on the Mudflats blog along with an enumerated list of the basic rules of netiquette.

In the same email, just above the entry broadcasting AKM's identity, Doogan (who was a print columnist for 14 years and currently writes mystery novels) inveighed against the Alaska Press Club giving an award to the author of a widely read email and then fulminated against newspapers cutting the jobs of real newsmen. Then, with one short paragraph, Doogan brought AKM and her family into the public eye,

"The identity of the person who writes the liberal Democratic Mudflats blog has been secret since the blog began, protected by the Anchorage Daily News, among others. My own theory about the public process is you can say what you want, as long as you are willing to stand behind it using your real name. So I was interested to learn that the woman who writes the blog is Anchorage resident [redacted].

Best wishes,

Mike"

The entire email is currently on the front page of the Alaska House Democratic Legislators website under "Extra! Extra! Newspapers and Bloggers Edition; Biased? Who? The Alaska Press Club?; A Treatise On A Newspaper Crusade; Anonymous Blogger Anonymous No More."

AKM says she received a terse email Thursday putting her on notice,

"I am reliably told that you are the anonymous blogger who writes Mudflats. I am planning to reveal this in the enews I send to my constituents tomorrow, and am writing to let you know this and offer the opportunity to comment."

Doogan did not ask AKM why she wished to remain anonymous, and he offered her no recourse. In a response posted to the Mudflats blog, AKM pointed out,

"It said in my "About" page that I choose to remain anonymous. I didn't tell anyone why. I might be a state employee. I might not want my children to get grief at school. I might be fleeing from an ex-partner who was abusive and would rather he not know where I am. My family might not want to talk to me anymore. I might alienate my best friend. Maybe I don't feel like having a brick thrown through my window. My spouse might work for the Palin administration. Maybe I'd just rather people not know where I live or where I work. Or none of those things may be true. None of my readers, nor Mike Doogan had any idea what my personal circumstances might be."

Ironically, Doogan got her last name wrong, according to AKM's response on Mudflats. The Alaska Dispatch points out that AKM submitted a letter-to-the-editor in 2007 in which she used what AKM says is her current last name as a middle name, and used the surname that Doogan named. [Although AKM had her identity listed on the Mudflats "About Us" page for a short while last night, I am not using any name here because AKM has since removed all mentions of her real name from the Mudflats pages.]

Phil Munger of Progressive Alaska posted an email exchange between him and Doogan from December in which Doogan tries to get Munger to spill the beans about AKM's identity. In the email exchange, Doogan says,

"I think that if blogging might be detrimental to the "professional and/or business situation" of the person writing Mudflats, then he/she shouldn't be doing it. But even if it is, are your arguing that it's okay for people to stand in the shadows and shout into the public debate? What next? Hoods and torches?"

Others have described Doogan as "obsessed" with AKM's identity and "rabid" about the issue of anonymous political discourse. Another Mudflats blogger points out,

"This may be the first known case of an anonymous blogger being cyber-stalked by a politician..."

Many locals believe that Doogan is secretly the identity behind former local blogger Billy Muldoon, but Doogan has categorically denied any connection to Muldoon. In fact, Doogan has consistently expressed vitriol toward new media and what he sees as the death of real journalism.

Doogan has been quick to make hyperbolic comparisons between the anonymity of AKM and the anonymity of the KKK, drawing not-so-subtle historical parallels between the anonymous post-Civil War editorials of the KKK's original Grand Cyclops. He has also mentioned "hoods and torches" in several emailed responses to constituents who voiced concerns about the 'outing' of AKM.

No doubt Doogan feels vindicated by outing this anonymous blogger -- someone associated with a media form that is taking the jobs of his colleagues, someone whose work is lesser in his mind than the print journalists of yore. Doogan says that AKM gave up her right to anonymity when her blog began influencing public policy, but America also has a rich tradition of anonymous political commentary -- so much so that the framework of our country was shaped by anonymous political prose.

AKM herself points out that Ben Franklin penned a series of letters under the penname Silence Dogood, a character he created that was so vivid and realistic that men sent marriage proposals to the New England Courant where Dogood's letters were often published.

Common Sense, a pamphlet often credited with igniting the American Revolution, was published anonymously by Thomas Paine and became a best seller both in America and in Europe despite its anonymity. The jacket on the copy I pulled from my own bookshelf says,

"The United States of America owes its existence in part to the incendiary brilliance of the work....Common Sense's arguments were accessible to nearly every colonial reader, empowering most colonists to confront the daunting challenges they faced."

Founding fathers Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay published 85 letters in colonial newspapers under the name "Plubius" urging the ratification of the United States Constitution. These anonymous letters are now know as the Federalist Papers and are often used by the United States Supreme Court to interpret the United States Constitution.

A few years ago, former head of the CIA Osama bin Laden Unit Michael Scheuer became a heroic whistleblower of the Bush administration when he anonymously published Imperial Hubris: Why the West is Losing the War on Terror.

Some anonymous politicos work on a smaller scale but make important waves within their domain. Just a few weeks ago, a handful of young men had the Arizona Democratic Party in an uproar after they published a plan to revitalize the state party anonymously because they worried that their young ages would hamper discourse. Their anonymity ignited paranoia among the party's powerful elite, with every party hack looking askance at each other until the authors revealed their identities.

Not only has the U.S. Supreme Court used the anonymous Federalist Papers to interpret the Constitution, the Court has also repeatedly upheld the right to anonymous speech as part of the right to free speech. After all, truly free speech is free from political retribution, economic sanction, and physical threat. Sometimes speaking out anonymously is the only way a person can speak freely.

As AKM pointed out, no one knows her personal situation or the reasons that she wished to remain anonymous. Some have speculated that her anonymity protected the financial well-being of her family. Whatever the reason, it is evident that this is a serious matter for AKM who now says that will take some time away from Mudflats while she reassesses how her life will change.

Doogan would do well to remember that, although he is a mystery novel writer, he is not a detective in real life, and this was one mystery that should have gone unsolved. New media is replacing traditional media regardless of whether Mudflats continues to exist or not. Taking down one blogger -- or even thousands of bloggers -- will not bring back your dying newspaper industry.
    Dawn Teo: Famed Anonymous Anti-Palin Blogger 'Outed' by Lawmaker

I read about this last night.. the comments on Palin's Deception alluded to it, so I was curious and googled it. Not cool. That lawmaker is a spiteful douche.

ETA: Here's Mudflat's response to the whole thing..

Anonymity is an interesting thing. Anyone who has read my “About” page knows that Mudflats popped out of my head and on to my keyboard last May. I, like many of you, get frustrated with my government. There isn’t anyone who pays attention, on either side of the political spectrum, who doesn’t at some time feel like they need to get something off their chest.
    I wasn’t quite sure what this whole blogging thing was about, but a dear friend of mine who is a brilliant writer was doing some work for the American Cancer Society blog, and urged me to start one of my own. And so, one evening after some crazy shenanigans from Don Young and a glass of shiraz, the first post went up on Mudflats. It was a strange sensation to write, and then click on that blue oval button that said, “Publish”. With that click, I was putting my opinion out to the world. I was giving permission for people to peek into my brain, and read my diary, as it were. I had no particular desire for anyone to know it was coming from me, and why should they care, anyway? I’m just….me. I’m not a politician, nor a writer, nor a journalist, nor a state or federal employee, nor a lobbyist. I was just a citizen who was paying attention, feeling frustrated, and liked getting stuff off my chest.
    I checked my blog statistics later in the day, and noticed that two people had clicked on my article. I sat there utterly amazed. I called to my spouse, “Look at this! Two people read it!” Then, the next day, eight people had read it. I was getting about a dozen hits a day the next week. I didn’t know where they were coming from, but I imagined my little group of a dozen people who enjoyed Mudflats enough to come back and read more. Then twenty people. And by the end of the summer, about 250 a day. Maybe they liked feeling like somebody was speaking their particular truth. Maybe they liked it. It was a good feeling.
    The day that Sarah Palin got nominated to be John McCain’s Vice President, life changed. My sister called me at some pre-dawn hour and said, “Did you hear?” I, like many Alaskans, was completely stunned. Sarah Palin? Was I still dreaming? Really? I knew I had to take the day off. I made a pot of coffee, and thought to myself, that my 250 people might not be the only ones interested in this VP pick. Now, many people adored Sarah Palin, and maybe some of them had blogs too….I had never checked, but they must be out there somewhere. But I knew some things about her, and her policies and positions that others might not be able to find out so easily. I decided to write my opinion. So I wrote a post, “What Is McCain Thinking? One Alaskan’s Perspective.” And that’s exactly what the piece was - one Alaskans perspective. My perspective. Just in case anyone was interested.
    It took me about 45 minutes to crank it out and click Publish. (Yes, I was still in my pajamas at the time) And it turned out that people were interested. Really interested. By the time I’d made myself a couple eggs and toast, and sat back down there were more than 7,000 hits. By the end of the day there were 64,000. The total readership of that post ended up being almost 270,000 with more than 1300 comments. To say I was shocked is putting it mildly. I began to get emails and comments asking me when I was going to post again, asking questions about Palin, and saying that this was the only “real” information they were getting.
    They wanted pictures of Wasilla. They wanted to know about polar bears. They wanted to know what my friends and relatives really thought.
    Now, the main stream media was covering Palin a lot, but just as we tend to converse with friends or relatives, to see what they think of something, to help clarify our opinion, so do people like to hear opinions from a regular person. At least, that’s what I came to believe. The next two months became a frenzy of writing and responding to emails, and managing the hundreds of comments that each post was getting. I got a book offer, interview requests, advertisers asking for room on the site, and I made a decision. I was going to focus on answering the questions people wanted to know, and telling them what I thought. The t-shirts and advertising could wait until later. And interviews? Well, I hadn’t really done anything other than speak my mind, so it seemed a little….silly. There were plenty of other qualified people to talk to.
    And so the months of September and October passed. My spouse and my kids graciously gave me up to the computer. If you had stock in Pumpkin Flax cereal, I might have made you rich, because it was fast and easy. I didn’t sleep much, and my back began to ache, and my eyes hurt. But, other than that, I was enjoying writing and I felt useful. Apparently reading my little online “diary” was giving people something they wanted.
    So, where am I going with all this? Back to the question of anonymity. It stands to reason that when expressing a personal opinion, there may be times when it will be less than flattering to a particular politician. More often than not, the politician is not a member of your own party, but sometimes they are. I’m not one to cushion and coddle Democrats just because they have a D in front of their name. Nor am I one to look for reasons to condemn the Rs just because of political party. Because, that’s really how most people think. They judge people based upon their actions.
    Fast forward to the present. Mudflats has become something of an amazement to me. Over the months, kind souls from many places have volunteered their time, and their energy to build this community. It was hard to manage posts that were getting 500 or 600 comments in just a few hours. So the Mudflats Forum was born, run by a team of administrators and moderators who all work very hard for nothing but gratitude. The forum was a way for readers to connect and discuss issues of the day, start their own threads, support each other, and talk everything from Sarah Palin to Barack Obama to salmon recipes. There were postcard swaps, and Secret Santas, and friendships were born. Mudflatters from Pittsburgh were the first to say “Let’s meet in real life!” and Mudstock Meetups were born. I started attending local events, rallies, debates, and trying to give my perspective. I felt quite qualified to give my persepective and opinion. All of us are.
    But sometimes politicians don’t like people who express their opinions, especially when the opinion is less than flattering, and especially when it’s their own words that come back to bite them. Mudflatters may recall back in December when Rep. Mike Doogan really got under my skin. I had posted previously about Mr. Doogan by posting his reaction to the Palin nomination, promoting his appearance on a local radio show, and talking about the certainty of his reelection. But I don’t always agree with him. The post where I took him to task was entitled “Are You People Nuts? Lessons in Email Etiquette.”
    The jist of it all, is that being really rude to people via email does not make them like you, nor does it make you look good. And legislators have a certain vested interest in looking good. Taking the high road when you’re an elected leader is always a good plan, because flying off the handle, or mouthing off at people and insulting them results in the dreaded….bad press, and bad public opinion. Neither of those things helps the political goals of being liked, and being reelected.
    But here’s where it gets interesting. After the initial opinion piece in Mudflats, I started hearing from fellow bloggers that Mike Doogan was trying to figure out who I was. It seemed strange to me, because really, all I’d done was take his own words and actions and comment on them. Anyone was perfectly free to disagree, or comment on the piece. “He’s rabid,” one blogger told me. Wow. Rabid? I guess I struck a nerve. Over the past few months, I’ve had other messages through the grapevine that he was trying to figure out who I am.
    I have to confess, that while I understand the curiosity factor, the fact that an elected representative was this preoccupied with the identity of an anonymous blogger had me puzzled. He wrote a piece for the Alaska Dispatch talking about “accountability”. The thought was that if I was anonymous, I was not accountable. In what way, I wondered. I’m not a journalist. I’m just, as we established before, me. This is my opinion. If he were around, we could ask the “anonymous blogger” of his day, Benjamin Franklin what he thought about this. Using the “screen name” Mrs. Silence Dogood, Franklin was able to put out thoughts and ideas that were weighted on their own merits, not attached to a particular person. Sometimes it’s easier, if you don’t want to think, to attack the person, rather than the idea. I think Franklin would heartily approve of anonymous bloggers.
    So, it seemed odd to me that Mr. Doogan was seemingly more focused on the messenger, than on defending his position, or even better, apologizing to people whom he had insulted. I didn’t think much more about it until yesterday, when I got this email:
    To: akmuckraker@yahoo.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:55:14 PM
    Subject: your identity

Jeanne:
    I am reliably told that you are the anonymous blogger who writes Mudflats. I am planning to reveal this in the enews I send to my constituents tomorrow, and am writing to let you know this and offer the opportunity to comment.
    Mike Doogan
    I was a bit surprised to see my real name, as you can imagine. But after the initial surprise wore off, it really hit me. This is an elected State Representative, of my own political party, who has decided that it’s not OK for me to control the information about my identity; that it’s not OK to express my opinion on my own blog without shouting from the rooftops who I am.
    If I were to appear, as many of you have, at a political rally and I were to hold up a sign that expressed my opinion, I don’t have to sign my name on the bottom. And if someone wants to come online and read my diary, they are free to do so. And if they want to disagree, that’s OK too.
    It said in my “About” page that I choose to remain anonymous. I didn’t tell anyone why. I might be a state employee. I might not want my children to get grief at school. I might be fleeing from an ex-partner who was abusive and would rather he not know where I am. My family might not want to talk to me anymore. I might alienate my best friend. Maybe I don’t feel like having a brick thrown through my window. My spouse might work for the Palin administration. Maybe I’d just rather people not know where I live or where I work. Or none of those things may be true. None of my readers, nor Mike Doogan had any idea what my personal circumstances might be. But that didn’t seem to matter.
    What appears to matter to Rep. Doogan is that either 1) he feels that if he “outs” me, he’ll change what I have to say, or keep me from saying anything. 2) he gets to play mystery detective (like in his books) and believes people will think he’s really cool for figuring it out, or 3) he feels like getting revenge. He knows I want to remain anonymous, so he’s going to take it away. In any of those three scenarios, he didn’t think it was important to get the bigger picture.
    And in any of those three scenarios we should probably find it disturbing that an elected official is using his time and mental energy in this way, against an ordinary citizen. I don’t need to remind Mudflats readers that Alaska is in a time of turmoil. We are facing unknown consequences with an erupting volcano that threatens to wipe out a tank farm on Cook Inlet holding 6 million gallons of oil. We have critical issues in the legislature, including Alaska’s acceptance or rejection of hundreds of millions of dollars in federal stimulus money for education and other critical purposes. We have a governor who has just chosen an incredibly divisive and extreme right wing idealogue as our new Attorney General. And there are only three weeks left in the legislative session. It bothers me quite a bit that instead of focusing all his energy on doing his job, one of our elected representatives would rather spend his time stalking and harrassing a political blogger.
    And Rep. Doogan is not the only one who has fallen prey to this preoccupation. Our governor, too, seems to be more interested in bloggers than seems healthy. Just a thought, but perhaps if our politicians were doing their jobs better, there would be no need for political bloggers, and we could all write diaries about our dogs, or our kids, or knitting.
    It turns out, that Rep. Doogan did make good on his threat to expose me in his legislative newsletter. It actually suprised me, because I thought that maybe he realized that blowing up a progressive political blogger wouldn’t earn him many brownie points with other Democrats. But nevertheless, here you go.
    Anonymous Blogger Anonymous No More

The identity of the person who writes the liberal Democratic Mudflats blog has been secret since the blog began, protected by the Anchorage Daily News, among others. My own theory about the public process is you can say what you want, as long as you are willing to stand behind it using your real name. So I was interested to learn that the woman who writes the blog is Anchorage resident Jeanne _____.*

Best wishes,
    [signed]
    So, now, if you look on the About page, you’ll get to see my real name* (which Rep. Doogan almost got right). And you also get to learn that Apparently for Rep. Doogan, the rules of the game are whatever his “theory of public process” say they should be. How does everyone feel about that? And as a former journalist, why is Rep. Doogan criticizing the Anchorage Daily News for protecting my identity?
    And here’s another irony. Rep. Doogan thinks he has exposed me, but in reality he has done nothing but expose himself.
    And with that, Mudflatters, I need to take a little time off to assess things, and take stock of how life will be changing for me and my family.
    The Mudflats » In Exposing the Identity of Mudflats, Rep. Mike Doogan Exposes Himself.

I wonder if he's just fucked up, or is helping Palin out.

Well, another blogger wrote that FoxNews is getting involved in stalking-activity against other bloggers... I think it may be in retaliation for ethics complaints filed against Palin.

Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis:: Faux News is in Alaska and stalking complaint-filers! Team Sarah slimes my email! *UPDATED 3/28*

Yeah, I saw that Faux was there and that the TeamSarah freaks were putting up all kinds of messages on Celtic Diva's site calling her a fat pig. Also, too, I read that during Palin's whining, rambling speech last week, she made some kind of crazy-ass comment saying that someone "in the room" probably made some ethics complaints against her, so Palin probably knew who AKM was last week (since AKM was in attendance).

If AKM stops blogging because of this, I'm going to be very sad. The posts were so well written and interesting.

Doogan sounds like a prime-A douchebag. The e-mails he's sending to people are mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I wonder if he's just fucked up, or is helping Palin out.
    I vote just fucked up. He has some bizarre axe to grind. He's a Democrat up in Alaska, so I don't see how he'd want to help Palin yet this does strangely. A friend of his and current Alaska Democratic gubernatorial candidate, Bob Poe, wrote a post that supports the fucked up theory.
    The Mudflats » Bob Poe Speaks About Mike Doogan and Mudflats

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    Well, another blogger wrote that FoxNews is getting involved in stalking-activity against other bloggers... I think it may be in retaliation for ethics complaints filed against Palin.

Celtic Diva's Blue Oasis:: Faux News is in Alaska and stalking complaint-filers! Team Sarah slimes my email! *UPDATED 3/28*
    Yeah, well, you know those Palinbots can't take any information that doesn't support their belief that Palin is divine. I think Celtic Diva's situation is unrelated to Mudflats. The timing is close together, but I don't think they're necessarily related.

Really, if Doogan wants to get down to things that matter to Alaskans, why doesn't he work on proving that Trig is Sarah Palin's baby?

It doesn't surprise me that a Democratic representative is trying to get on Palin's good side.. IMO she can make life very unpleasant for Alaskan politicians if she wants to. Doogan is a pussy.

Ick.

New post at Mudflats. It looks like quite a few people are picking up on this.

Yep, sorry to disappoint but it is Snoskred again. AKMuckraker is taking a well deserved sanity break.

We are hopeful that sometime in the next 24 hours, both the blog and the forums will go into maintenance mode. You will probably be inclined to sigh and maybe even sob.. however I am here to tell you to be very happy when this happens, because this means a couple of hours later we will be able to cope with a lot more traffic.

This does not mean The Mudflats team has been idle. Oh no, my friends! We have been collecting up links to bloggers - and who knows whether they are anonymous or pajama clad?

I can say this much - the length of this links list will certainly keep Rep. Doogan very busy, trying to out them all. He might even get confused and try to out some of those who are already using their real name!

Before I post the list, can we The Mudflats Team ask just a few favors from you all, while our beloved AKMuckraker is taking some time out.

1. Please do not feed the trolls.

You need to be aware that some sites are going to target The Mudflats as a result of recent events. We are dealing with those comments as fast as humanly possible - replying to them just means we have to delete your reply as well as their trolling post.

2. Please do not use AKMuckraker’s real name in the comments area.

We do not ask this because we think the cat can get back in the bag. We ask this because AKMuckraker did not willingly choose to share her real name with us. Rep Mike Doogan decided to force it upon us. It is the principle of the thing, yano?

3. Please do not post links to websites which contain personal details about AKMuckraker on the blog or the forums.

We are aware there are some people out there - ironically - muckraking AKMuckraker! If we could ask you to be respectful of AKMuckrakers privacy here on the blog.. We have no control over what happens elsewhere.

4. Please be patient.

Now that there is an article on the Huffpo front page, it is likely we will see a lot of traffic here. If we could respectfully ask you not to sit on the blog comments hitting refresh, as that adds greatly to the server load. Make a deal with yourself to only refresh once every half an hour - and that way, everyone will get to view the site, including new visitors who have never been here before.

Alternatively, move your discussion over to the forum, which copes better with discussions. See this thread.

5. Keep an eye on the Action Alerts area of The Mudflats forum.

Any calls to action will be posted in the Action Alerts area first. There are already two there - and Dr Chill has some excellent ideas for an email writing campaign in the updates thread. Click here to visit this area. This also means - if you have an idea for a call to action, you should post it in that area, so it does not get buried in a long comments thread. Not everyone has the time to read all the comments here, but they might have time to write an email, send a letter, or vote for something.

In return, we will keep updating the links in this thread on the forums, monitoring the comments, and shooing away those pesky trolls.

For now, I leave you with an open comments area, and a long list of links. If you have written a blog post that is not on this list, please let me know, post a link here.. Enjoy!

REP. DOOGAN ‘OUTS’ POPULAR POLITICAL BLOGGER WHO CRITICIZED HIM
    Famed Anonymous Anti-Palin Blogger ‘Outed’ by Lawmaker
    AK state rep Doogan outs Mudflats!
    Outing Mudflats: The Dirty Martini Philosophy
    Mike Doogan Outs Mudflats in Challenge to Outdo Eddie Burke as 2009 Anchorage Slimeball of the Year
    My friend Mudflats…not a KKK Member, Mr. Doogan
    You know the difference between Rep Mike Doogan and Mt. Redoubt? One is a sulphur spewing ash-hole and the other is just a volcano. UPDATED!
    A Sad Day- Mudflats is Changed Forever
    Doogan broke a federal law by outing Mudflats
    Outing AKMuckraker
    Did Rep. Mike Doogan Misuse Legislative Resources?
    Epic Fail Mike Doogan
    In support of MUDFLATS and anonymous bloggers everywhere…Mike Doogan is a Grinch
    Mike Doogan, you are a Public Ass
    Mudflats Exposed (Updated)
    Why Mike Doogan sucks
    Freedom to Blog?
    A. Nony Mouse
    Time to Unite
    Thanks Rep. Mike Doogan
    Alaska State Representative Outs Anonymous Blogger
    Shame on Alaska Rep. Mike Doogan
    Politician Stalks Blogger - Rep. Mike Doogan Outs AKMuckraker
    Government Official Reveals ID of Anonymous Blogger
    So Long, Mudflats
    The Right to Privacy - Bloggers and Privacy
    It May As Well Be Rape, Sir
    Mike Doogan Ousts AKMuckraker
    Dorkwad State Legislator Outs Blogger Who Dared Pick On Him
    Rep. Doogan’s main accomplishment for this session–OUTING MUDFLATS!
    Rep Mike Doogan (D-AK) exposes the true identity of Mudflats blogger
    Alaska Lawmaker Violates Privacy of Famed Anonymous Blogger
    Shut up or we’ll tell the goons where you live
    Blogger’s identity outed by AK politician - Updated
    Outing AKMuckraker
    Outing Mudflats: The Dirty Martini Philosophy
    The Mudflats » In The Darkness.. Let There Be Links.
    Last edited by WhoAmI; March 28th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

It's up to the person themselves if they want to be anonymous, but I do get frustrated if there is no identity at all of some blogs/writers. I tend to disregard those blogs since I have no idea if they are on the payroll to say it. (Even if I agree with them.)
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

As someone on TPM pointed out, anonymity is a constitutional right.
    In McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commn., 514 U.S. 334 (Supreme Court of the United States, 1995), a woman was fined in violation of the Ohio Elections Commission Code for composing, printing, and distributing anonymous campaign literature which expressed her views on a proposed school tax. The Supreme Court held:

"Under our Constitution, anonymous pamphleteering is not a pernicious, fraudulent practice, but an honorable tradition of advocacy and of dissent. Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation -- and their ideas from suppression -- at the hand of an intolerant society."
    TheraP's Blog | Talking Points Memo | Blogger's identity outed by AK politician - Updated

It was the lead story on the Daily Kos a few minutes ago. Excellent.

An article in the Washington Monthly. Article is written by Hilzoy, a philosophy professor who also write anonymously.

Thank You, from AKMuckraker.

28/03/2009

As I sit here writing, there is a strange mixture of wind, snow and volcanic ash swirling around outside my windows. It’s tempting to yell, “The sky is falling!” and at times it has felt that way. If you had told me last week that a State Legislator would send me a threatening email telling me he was going to out me, and reveal my real identity on his official legislative newsletter, I’d have thought to myself, “Never in a million years would someone be so foolhardy.” But once again I have overestimated the common sense of Rep. Mike Doogan. And here we are.

I have to admit this has taken a bit of getting used to. I’m not one to crave the spotlight, and I generally enjoy my boring little life. So, I’m needing a little time to regroup. Thank you all for the understanding, and indulging this naturally private and introverted blogger who normally posts pretty frequently. Public figures choose a public life. Private citizens don’t necessarily choose that. The possibility is always there for a pseudonymous blogger to become public, but we’d like to think that this would be at the time and in the manner of that person’s choosing….without the unwanted help of a State Representative, who is, after all, supposed to be working for us.

In this stressful time, I have been absolutely overwhelmed by your messages of love and support. I have read every single comment on the blog, and at times I laughed, at times I was brought to tears of joy and grief, and at times I was stunned by the insight and clarity of your thinking and assessment of the situation. And I loved it all. Truly, you all gave me a soft cushion on which to ride this rocky road after being dragged out of my cave. For those of you who have sent emails, or messages on Facebook, I have not yet had the opportunity to read all of them, but I will.

I have not only appreciated the personal support for me and my family (and Brian the moose), but I appreciate that you all getthe big picture, and the most important issue, which is not me. The big picture, the thing that should outrage all of us, despite political party or affiliation, is this: an elected official in a position of power and authority utilized state resources to deliberately and with malice, knowing there would be negative consequences, impinged on the free speech and privacy rights of a private citizen.

Heartening as well, have been the emails and comments of support I have received from conservatives who love and respect the right to free speech as much as those further left on the political spectrum, and who also recognize the big picture. There have been messages of support from the conservative community that have made me hopeful for finding common ground, even with those with whom we thought it would be impossible. This is a good thing for all of us.

I am working on a new post. It was difficult to know quite where to begin. As a friend said, it’s a bit like losing your favorite instrument, and having to learn how to play a new one. But I’ve enjoyed some down time with family, and the challenge of learning to play this new and strange instrument and seeing what I can do with it. Because there’s no doubt, things are different. The next post will be one of my favorite kinds - a good story. We haven’t had one of those in a while. The ending is uncertain, but it’s one that should resonate with all of us.

Thank you, thank you again for your love and support. Even though I’m a “word person” I know I will never fully be able to express to you my deep and abiding gratitude for this community.

*I’ll be putting up open threads as they are needed when the comments get clogged.
    *The site will be down for a couple hours tonight, while ServerGuy outfits us with a brand new server! Thanks ServerGuy!
    And yes, I’ll always be AKMuckraker.

The Mudflats » Thank You, from AKMuckraker.

I think its essential to discern the difference between public political figures and citizen bloggers. Yes mudflats is a vigilante of sorts but she's perfectly entitled (or was) to post her musings and complaints about the political world--anonymously or not. She's asking questions a lot of people in Alaska are afraid to ask and its a shame she was outed in such a spiteful, retaliatory fashion by this representative. He's going to have hell to pay.. I can tell her supporters will make sure of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information