Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Barack Obama apologizes for gaffe on Special Olympics

Default President Barack Obama apologizes for gaffe on Special Olympics

Obama apologizes for gaffe on Special Olympics

(he seems to have a tendency to crack jokes without thinking beforehand; he should know better and let's hope he gets rid of this habit. Sure maybe it isn't a mountain out of a molehill but as a President he needs to watch what he says)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) President Barack Obama has apologized for a gaffe in which he described his bowling skills as akin to participants in the Special Olympics, a sports program for people with intellectual disabilities.
    Obama made the mistake during an interview on Thursday night on "The Tonight Show" with host Jay Leno, the first time a sitting U.S. president had been on the show.
    Talking about living in the White House, Obama said he had been practicing his bowling in the home's bowling alley and had scored a 129 out of a possible 300.
    It was an improvement on the embarrassing 37 he had rolled during a stop on the presidential campaign trail a year ago.
    "It's like -- it was like Special Olympics or something," Obama said.
    The Special Olympics is a global nonprofit organization serving some 200 million people with intellectual disabilities, with a presence in nearly 200 countries worldwide. They compete in sporting events like the real Olympics.
    Soon after the Jay Leno interview, Obama telephoned Special Olympics chairman Tim Shriver to apologize.
    Shriver told ABC's "Good Morning America" television show that Obama had apologized "in a way that I think was very moving" and that he said "he did not intend to humiliate the population, didn't want to embarrass or give anybody any more reason for pain or kind of suffering."
    Shriver said people should gain a lesson from the incident.
    "I think it's important to see that words hurt. Words do matter. And these words in some respect, can be seen as humiliating or a put-down to people with special needs, do cause pain. And they do result in stereotypes," Shriver said.
    White House spokesman Bill Burton said Obama "made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics."
    "He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world," Burton said.
    Shriver said he knows of a Special Olympian in the Detroit area who has bowled three perfect games of 300 and "he said he would be more than welcome to find the time to come to the White House and teach the president."

As soon as I heard him say that, I knew there was going to be some kind of backlash, deserved or not...

The Special Olympics has released a nice statement about this. They close with encouraging Obama to hire a special olympic person to work at the White House to show the worls how able they are.

Joke: I though that is what we had done for the last 8 years.

ha!
    at least he didn't say he bowls like a tard.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

He still bowls better than George Bush speaks.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Yeah government really has a need for a downs syndrome sprinter.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The Special Olympics has released a nice statement about this. They close with encouraging Obama to hire a special olympic person to work at the White House to show the worls how able they are.

They shouldn't pressure him to go that far over one comment. I bet even the person who made that statement has said something just as insensitive as Obama did at one point in their lives.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Oh,big woo. Can we all just lighten up? He clearly was not being mean. I hope he continues to be himself,not all super sensitive.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How stupid. I hate people that sit around and wait for someone to slip up.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post

Yeah and when I saw he said that I knew right away that it'd be on the news.

It's something I'd expect George Bush to say. Not a very clever comment to make, but meh.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    As soon as I heard him say that, I knew there was going to be some kind of backlash, deserved or not...
    And I'm sure the moment it came out of his mouth, he wished he could have taken it back. I'm surprised he said it, but it's happened to the best of us with no offense intended.

Elite Member

Bad thing to say but he did apologize and it's not like he went to the Special Olympics and called them tards and cripples or something. We all want to stick our foot in our mouth sometimes, at least he is moral enough to know he said something wrong.

Geez could we be anymore PC. This shit is old and boring.

This isn't so much about being 'PC' or anything of that sort. Sure maybe it's not something deliberately offensive, but again the President does seem to have a tendency to say things without thinking. Like that crack he made about Nancy Reagan. I mean, if he didn't think anything was bad about that and this, then why did he feel the need to apologize?

If he apologizes then obviously he think he said something maybe offensive right? If dubya said something along these lines I'd call his ass on it you betcha, so no double standards for Obama.

Besides, shouldn't we expect more of our President to watch what he says? The most powerful man in the world shouldn't be excused with saying that he had a little mental relapse or he had a bad day, so on and so forth. I'm just saying if the President isn't careful of thinking before he cracks a joke, people could crucify him for it. Next time he cracks a joke, even when he thinks he's not being "monitored," it could really backfire on him.

Not saying anything about his spectacular performance in office so far, but just saying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information