Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More AIG fun! Senator Charles Grassley says AIG execs should quit, or kill themselve

Default More AIG fun! Senator Charles Grassley says AIG execs should quit, or kill themselve

Sen. Charles Grassley is so angry over AIG bonuses that he says the executives should resign or kill themselves.

In a comment aired this afternoon on WMT, an Iowa radio station, Grassley (R-Iowa) said: “The first thing that would make me feel a little bit better towards them if they’d follow the Japanese model and come before the American people and take that deep bow and say I’m sorry, and then either do one of two things — resign, or go commit suicide.”

The radio clip was also aired on WTOP, a news radio station in Washington.

In response to a POLITICO inquiry, Grassley spokeswoman Jill Gerber clarified Grassley’s comments, saying “clearly he was speaking rhetorically – he meant there’s no culture of shame and acceptance of responsibility for driving a company into the dirt in this country. If you asked him whether he really wants AIG executives to commit suicide, he’d say of course not.”

“Point being, U.S. corporate executives are unapologetic about running their companies adrift, accepting billions of tax dollars to help, and then spending those tax dollars on travel, huge bonuses, etc,” Gerber said.

Grassley’s statement was the most over the top among the many expressions of outrage Monday, as the White House and Congress struggle to figure out how to recoup $165 million in bonuses from AIG, which has received more than $170 billion in federal bailout funds.

“With millions of Americans out of work, staying up nights trying to figure out how to make this week’s paycheck last until the next, wondering how they’ll make the next mortgage payment or pay the overdue tuition bill, these executive bonuses are beyond outrageous,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Monday.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell joined the chorus, saying the bonuses were “appalling.”

Trashing AIG has become a no brainer for campaigners. Jim Tedisco, a candidate in the special election for New York’s 20th congressional district, says AIG “poster child for Wall Street greed” and wants a state investigation.

Rep. Phil Hare (D-Ill.) went for a play on words, saying: “Clearly, the ‘G’ in AIG stands for greed. It is outrageous that taxpayers are subsidizing bonuses as much as $6.5 million at a time when working families are struggling to make ends meet.”

Nobody else has suggested hara kiri for AIG executives, and Grassley’s spokeswoman tried to make clear the senator didn’t really mean it.

Grassley on AIG execs: Quit or suicide - Martin Kady II - POLITICO.com

Sen. Charles Grassley is so angry over AIG bonuses that he says the executives should resign or kill themselves.
    Funny I was just thinking that. Harsh, but so is what they did to the economy. Too bad they're so narcissistic they'd never do either.

Yea, but kill themselves?? I can see quitting....

Though no one's going to do that. Just saying...

That would work for me.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I know it sounds harsh but ..
    any of 'em dead yet???? FUCKERS!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Not the most politically correct thing to say but yeah, why not?

I think a public hanging would suffice.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    Yea, but kill themselves?? I can see quitting....

Though no one's going to do that. Just saying...
    The French bank president who invested all his firm's funds with Madoff killed himself. So, it's not like this is unprecedented.

the fake outrage in washington over this is nauseating....

they knew these bonuses were going to be paid....and after the story made the news, and the average citizen got angry, all of a sudden everyone in DC is pissed....typical government BS

there are two more rounds of bonuses due to be paid to AIG employees as well....I guess we can expect more manufactured outrage from politicians when those bonuses are paid.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i like how Obama's admin is saying they can't breach contractually obligated bonuses... yet the auto industry breached how many contract obligations to survive?

interesting double standard
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

.....some old shit, another day.....so much for change.....

...I vote for suicide....but only if Congress goes first.....then Obama and his crew.....look how many "stimulus jobs" will be developed to handle all the dead bodies.....

he's still better than Bush or McSame
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

....it's early yet, give him time......

oh come on, nobody can be worse than Bush. I mean.. you would have to TRY incredibly hard.

AIG paid for that double standard.....the two biggest recipients of AIG campaign donations were Dodd and Obama.....(third place McCain with about 1/2 as much- guess they needed to cover all the bases, just in case)

American International Group: All Recipients | OpenSecrets

and Geithner defended the rights of these bailout companies to spend the money however they saw fit including using it as bonuses, back in February

Two weeks ago, the White House claimed they knew exactly what AIG was doing with the money they received.....now they are shocked....fucking spare me
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information