Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Republican now wants ALL presidential candidates to provide birth certificate

Default Florida Republican now wants ALL presidential candidates to provide birth certificate

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Rep. Bill Posey, R-Florida, introduced legislation this week requiring candidates to produce a birth certificate to be eligible to run in future presidential elections, triggering a sharp reaction from Democrats who accused him of "questioning President Obama's citizenship."
    Posey submitted a bill with no fanfare Thursday that instructs the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to be amended to add the birth certificate requirement. The Constitution requires that a president or a vice president be "a natural born citizen."
    During the presidential campaign, some people — mostly Republicans — questioned whether Obama, who was born in Hawaii, was a U.S. citizen. Obama's mother was a U.S. citizen, while his father was from Kenya.
    Obama produced a certified copy of his birth certificate from the Hawaii Department of Health, but critics argued that it was a fake or had been altered. The Supreme Court has turned down several requests that it hear challenges to the president's citizenship.

"Opponents of President Bush used the 2000 election results and the court decisions to question the legitimacy of President Bush to serve as President," Posey said in a statement. "Opponents of President Obama are raising the birth certificate issue as a means of questioning his eligibility to serve as president. Neither of these situations are healthy for our Republic.
    "This bill, by simply requiring such documentation for future candidates for President will remove this issue as a reason for questioning the legitimacy of a candidate elected as President."
    Posey spokesman George Cecala emphasized several times to CNN that the congressman was "not trying to fan the flames" of the Obama citizenship dust-up nor was he "trying to jab someone in the eye." Instead, Posey was "just trying to clarify the law," Cecala said.
    Cecala added that Posey, who was elected in 2008, decided to introduce the bill because of concerns raised by constituents and other people from across the country. So far, the bill has no cosponsors and Posey did not inform the Republican leadership he was introducing it, according to Cecala.
    "This was not meant as an insult to the president," Cecala said. "It is simply meant as a way to clarify future election laws and to dispel the issue so we can move on with doing business for the country," he said.
    But Florida Democrats do not see it that way and expressed their criticism of Posey in an e-mail to supporters.
    "Congressman Posey should be focused on creating jobs and jumpstarting the economy, but it seems he's only obsessed with pandering to the right wing," Karen Thurman, chair of the Florida Democratic Party, charged in the Friday afternoon note.
    So does Posey believe that Obama is truly a U.S. citizen?
    "I think we are going to take the president at his word for it, just like we take every other candidate's word for it," Cecala said.
    Republican wants WH candidates to prove citizenship
    In theory, having candidates show a birth certificate isn't a bad idea. But I love how this didn't become an issue until Obama showed up. And Posey's example of Bush in 2000 makes no sense, since people were questioning the shady electoral process in Florida, not Bush's citizenship.

But as we saw with Obama, which this whole bill is a cover for, what difference does a birth certificate make if people are going to say it's fake or altered?

Horse. Dead.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hmm....just say this goes through...does that mean the federal government can over-ride state laws? Prepare for a big states' rights battle if they try this.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

You say he's a Republican, King? LOL.

They are mad as hell that O won and that he's popular (and sexy). LOL.

King, has anyone else that's ran before even had parents from other countries? I don't really think so.

If not, then that may be why it has never been addressed before.

But O was born in Hawaii. It's not like he was born outside the U.S. That's why it's so silly.

^ Oh I know. I believe he's AMERICAN. I am not questioning that.

I was just talking about King's statement:
    "But I love how this didn't become an issue until Obama showed up."

I was just wondering if someone in the past actually had a parent from a different country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ Oh I know. I believe he's AMERICAN. I am not questioning that.

I was just talking about King's statement:
    "But I love how this didn't become an issue until Obama showed up."

I was just wondering if someone in the past actually had a parent from a different country.

No you don't! Just admit that you think Obama is really Keyser Soze and was born in Turkey! LOOOOOOL

King, has anyone else that's ran before even had parents from other countries? I don't really think so.

Having a parent from another country isn't an excuse to ask about a birth certificate. And seeing as how Obama produced a birth certificate, which the GOP still claims is fake, it defeats the purpose of requiring a birth certificate to begin with if you're going to say it's fake.

Plus, I find it funny that the GOP didn't make an issue out of McCain's birth certficate, and he was born in the Panama Canal on a military base. And I don't hear anyone in the GOP clamoring for Bobby Jindal's birth certificate, who they're trying to run as president in 2012, and both of his parents were from another country.

there are questions about it because his granny says he was born in Kenya, and his birth certificate says he wasn't. Pretty sure this is an issue that has never come up before, so that is why it is such a big deal. That Constitution thing that makes up our society says they have to be Born Here.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

^^Yeah, his grandmother, who he barely knows, said he was born in Kenya, but all of the EVIDENCE says he was born in Hawaii. Sort of like how his African half-brother, who he barely knows, says he was raised as a Muslim, despite the fact that he was raised by his white mother and grandparents.

I know that, but the two differing accounts of his birth is why it was a matter of contention to begin with. Hence why they are now trying to pass a bill making it a requirement in the future, so it won't be an issue later on down the road.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

But considering that Obama's birth certificate was already proven to be authentic, the issue shouldn't even be discussed. But the GOP still keeps blasting it as fake.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Hmm....just say this goes through...does that mean the federal government can over-ride state laws? Prepare for a big states' rights battle if they try this.
    Another civil war???

I'm sure there are people with parents from other countries who have become president.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

god get a life posey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information