Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

Default Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza" - TMZ.com

Comedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Friday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."
    Mason lost his top rated TV show Chicken Soup - the one about the Jewish guy who dates an Irish chick (played by Lynn Redgrave) - after he called then NYC Mayor David N. Dinkins a "schwartza in a 1000 suit". Dinkins was the 1st afro-American mayor of NYC.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Oh,Grimm. Stop posting pictures of your wang.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Default The old boy's done this sort of thing before

'Chicken Soup' Is Canceled By ABC After 7 Shows - The New York Times

'Chicken Soup' Is Canceled By ABC After 7 Shows
    By BILL CARTER
    Published: Wednesday, November 8, 1989
    SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
    PRINT
    REPRINTS

ABC abruptly canceled ''Chicken Soup'' yesterday, the highest rated new program of the television season. The series, starring Jackie Mason, had its final telecast last night.

ABC announced that a comedy called ''Coach'' would move into the 9:30 P.M. slot starting Nov. 21.

Robert A. Iger, the president of the ABC entertainment division, attributed the cancellation of the Mason show to the network's need to ''maximize'' its ratings on Tuesday nights. ''Chicken Soup,'' broadcast at 9:30 P.M. on Tuesday nights, followed ''Roseanne,'' which has been the top-rated show in television so far this season. 'At Least Mildly Surprising'

Larry Hyams, the director of prime-time audience analysis for ABC, said ''Chicken Soup'' was also more expensive to produce than other comedies. But, he added, the move was ''at least mildly surprising because it was still a top show in household ratings.''

Mr. Mason issued a statement yesterday in which he said he was relieved that he could stop playing the character of Jackie Fisher. ''I need to be Jackie Mason,'' he said.

''Chicken Soup'' has been consistently losing about a third of the viewers tuned to ''Roseanne.'' Its ratings have also dropped sharply from early in the season. In its opening episode on Sept. 12, the series was the second most popular show of the week, with a 21.8 rating and 34 share. (A rating point represents 921,000 homes; the share is the percentage of viewers watching a given program.) ''Coach,'' which stars Craig T. Nelson, also lost viewers during the summer when it was broadcast after ''Roseanne,'' but the drop in audience was less severe.

By last week, ''Chicken Soup'' had fallen to 23d place, with a 15.9 rating and 26 share. In addition, in the most recent industry study of the popularity of television shows, ''Chicken Soup'' was the most negatively received program in television, an executive at another network said.

But for the seven episodes that were broadcast through yesterday, ''Chicken Soup'' averaged an 18.1 rating and 28 share, by far the best showing of any new series on television this fall.

The move was said to have caught the cast and crew of the program by surprise. They were in the midst of a rehearsal Monday night for a new episode when ABC called the show's producers, Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner, to tell them the show was being canceled. Carsey/Werner is among the most successful comedy production companies in television, with three top-rated series on the air: ''Roseanne'' on ABC ''The Cosby Show'' and ''A Different World'' on NBC.

Paul Schulman, who heads an agency that buys network time for advertisers, said ''Chicken Soup'' was reducing the audience for the show that follows it on Tuesdays, ''Thirtysomething.'' 'No Problem With Subject Matter'

''If 'Chicken Soup' were commercial or funnier it could have survived,'' Mr. Schulman said. ''There was no problem with advertisers pulling out of show. There was no problem with subject matter. There was no problem with audience delivery. ABC just had to feel they could do more in that time period.''

Some television critics had questioned whether a series that focused on a love affair between Mr. Mason, who played a retired Jewish pajama salesman, and Lynn Redgrave, who played an Irish Catholic social worker, would be able to sustain a mass audience.

Mr. Mason was criticized for remarks he made about the Democratic candidate David N. Dinkins during the New York City mayoral contest. Mr. Mason withdrew from the campaign of the Repulican-Liberal candidate Rudolph W. Giuliani after saying that because of their ''complexes'' Jews would vote for a black candidate even if unfit for the job.

Spokesmen for ABC said there was no connection between the decision to cancel the show or the timing of the announcement on election day and the problems over Mr. Mason's activities in the campaign.
    More from the NYTimes

AN EARLIER JACKIE MASON RACIAL SLUR AGAINST DINKINS IS DISCLOSED - The New York Times

AN EARLIER JACKIE MASON RACIAL SLUR AGAINST DINKINS IS DISCLOSED
    By DON TERRY
    Published: Monday, October 2, 1989
    SIGN IN TO E-MAIL
    PRINT
    REPRINTS
    Jackie Mason and his use of racially sensitive language continues to trouble the mayoral campaign of Rudolph W. Giuliani almost a week after the comedian was forced to withdraw from the campaign for making harsh remarks about blacks and Jews in a newspaper.

In the Oct. 9 issue of Newsweek magazine, Mr. Mason, a keen supporter of Mr. Giuliani, is quoted as using a Yiddish word with racially pejorative connotations, calling David N. Dinkins a ''fancy shvartze with a mustache.''

According to ''The Joys of Yiddish'' by Leo Rosten, ''shvartzer and shvartzeh, to mean Negro man and woman, became 'inside' words among Jews - cryptonyms for Negro servants or employees.'' 'Uses Have Declined'

''Since the growth of the civil rights movement,'' Mr. Rosten writes, ''these uses have declined.''

Mr. Mason made the remark during a luncheon with Mr. Giuliani and four Newsweek writers on Aug. 31.

Yesterday Mr. Giuliani said he had not heard Mr. Mason's remark at the luncheon and was informed of it only later by a campaign aide.

But according to the Newsweek account, after the statement was made, ''Giuliani joined in the nervous laughter, making no attempt to rebuke Mason.'' The Oct. 9 issue of Newsweek is being distributed today.

Mr. Mason's statement was made almost a month before he was forced out of the Giuliani campaign for telling The Village Voice that Jewish support for Mr. Dinkins was based on guilt and that Jews were ''sick with complexes.''

Last week Mr. Giuliani said he had never before heard Mr. Mason make statements like those quoted in The Village Voice. Mr. Mason, after first refusing to apologize for his remarks, did so on Thursday. Dinkins's Record Attacked

The furor over Mr. Mason's comments came in a week in which Mr. Giuliani increased his attacks on Mr. Dinkins's record and his relationship with the Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Attempting to capitalize on some people's concerns about Mr. Jackson, whose comments about Palestinian rights alarm many Jews, Mr. Giuliani last week ran an advertisement in a Jewish newspaper, hinting that Mr. Jackson would play a role in any Dinkins administration.

Before marching yesterday in the Pulaski Day Parade up Fifth Avenue, an angry Mr. Giuliani stabbed the air with an index finger and denied hearing the Mason remark during the small luncheon. He also questioned the significance of the incident, saying, ''I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion.''

''As I recall there were four reporters there,'' said Mr. Giuliani, who is running on the Republican and Liberal Party lines. ''I emphasize that the four reporters did not report it, which means they didn't hear it or they didn't attach any significance to it at the time.'' Late Publication Explained

The editor of Newsweek, Maynard Parker, said yesterday that if he had known about the remark at the time, ''we would have published it four weeks ago.''

Mr. Giuliani said Mr. Mason had left the luncheon early. Mr. Giuliani said he was told of the remark shortly afterward by his campaign spokesman, Charles Perkins, who was worried that the statement could be ''taken the wrong way.''

Mr. Giuliani said he and Mr. Perkins went immediately to talk with Mr. Mason's manager, Jyll Rosenfeld, about the incident and strongly objected to Mr. Mason's use of ''offensive'' language.

''She told us it was not meant that way,'' Mr. Giuliani said. ''And we told her that Jackie should not use that language, and she agreed.''

Ms. Rosenfeld did not return repeated telephone calls yesterday seeking comment. Comment by Dinkins

Mr. Dinkins also marched in the parade yesterday. When asked to comment on Mr. Giuliani's assertion that he had not heard the remark, Mr. Dinkins smiled and said, ''Put down, 'He laughed.' ''

''I don't know whether he heard it or not,'' Mr. Dinkins said. ''But there were only six or eight people at the lunch.

'' 'Shvartzer,' '' he added, ''is a derogatory term. That's the one thing there's no question about.''

Mr. Giuliani said Mr. Mason had attended the luncheon to explain his role in the campaign, especially his appearance in a commercial critical of Mayor Edward I. Koch. Mr. Giuliani, a former Federal prosecutor, said the exchange between the editors and Mr. Mason was rapid and ''I did not pick up on the use of the word.''

He said there was some debate about how offensive the word is, but ''it's not a word I would use.'' Press Coverage Criticized

Mr. Giuliani said he felt the press had not focused enough attention on Mr. Dinkins's record, especially his failing to file income-tax returns for four years almost 20 years ago.

''There is definitely a double standard,'' he said at a campaign stop in Flushing, Queens.

Mr. Dinkins has said that he failed to file Federal, state and city income-tax forms for four years in the late 1960's and early 70's. He eventually paid the taxes with interest. No criminal charges were filed against him.

Mr. Giuliani defended Mr. Mason as a caring man, and he said he had no regrets about using him to make campaign appearances.

''He's taken some unfair hits,'' Mr. Giuliani said of Mr. Mason. ''He's a comedian.''
    I wonder if Sir Rudi Giuliani's gonna defend him this time??

Are you kidding? Visual representation of my internet wang would be something like...

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Are you kidding? Visual representation of my internet wang would be something like...

Pencil prick!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Australia occupies a spot close to his heart

you'll notice the little spooge mark on it..

I don't know what's the worst thing he's done, being a racist or bringing 'Coach' onto the world?

Comedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
    Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

TMZ - celebrity news, entertainment news, celebrity gossip, Hollywood rumors, celebrity photos, celebrity video, photo galleries
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thumbs down

Is this word "schwartza" the same word that was used in the movie "A Soldier's Story (1984), when Adolph Caesar's character was admonishing a couple of black soldiers by telling them that the nazis used to call them schwartza?

At any rate what a king douche. I like the way, whenever offensive words from other countries are used, there will always be some folk that will try to "minimize" it by saying, oh, it's a cultural thing and taken out of context.

The same thing happens with the term "mayate" which is the equivalent of the 'N' word in spanish and used by latinos (mexicans) in a derogative manner (especially in southern california I presume). I had to laugh reading about these idiots saying, oh, it's not derogatory, it means an insect, no racial connotations at all.

Aww shut the fack up ignorant facks.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post

ya know? i may take a lot of shit for this, but i agree with him here.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Mason's a pig. Short and simple.

Mason seems to have a problem with black people who are, or have been, more successful than him, Obama , Oprah, Chris Rock and Dinkins.

Elite Member

Jackie should just STFU before digging himself even deeper.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information