Thread: Congress approves President Obama's spending bill

Default Congress approves President Obama's spending bill

MSNBC.com

Congress approves massive spending bill
    Obama expected to sign measure, which keeps pet projects intact
    The Associated Press
    updated 4:29 p.m. PT, Tues., March. 10, 2009

WASHINGTON - Congress is sending President Barack Obama a massive bill funding domestic programs and awarding lawmakers their cherished pet projects after more than a week of partisan debate.

Senators passed the measure by voice vote Tuesday after voting 62-35 to shut down debate. The White House says Obama will sign the bill. It finishes up last year's budget business, which stalled as Democrats feuded with former President George W. Bush.

The huge bill encountered unexpected difficulty in the wake of Obama's economic stimulus bill and a budget plan forecasting a $1.8 trillion deficit for the current budget year. The measure includes some 8,000 pet projects known as earmarks.

By a 63-32 vote Monday, lawmakers rejected a bid by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to effectively strip those earmarks from the bill.

"If the president really wants to change Washington, as soon as this bill reaches his desk, he should veto it and send it back and say, 'Clean it up,'" McCain said.

During last year's campaign, Obama promised to cut the number of earmarks way back and institute other changes.

But lawmakers in both parties defend the practice, and 10 Republicans joined most Democrats to defeat McCain's amendment.

"Yes, I fight for funds for my state. That's what I came here to do," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, which doles out the earmarks. "Candidly, why be an appropriator if you can't help your state?"

Democratic leaders had hoped to pass the measure last week. But Republicans withheld the votes required to clear an important procedural hurdle. They insisted on the right to offer additional amendments, all of which are bound to be defeated because Democrats don't want the measure to return to the House for a further vote. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has threatened to scrap the bill in that event.

The 1,132-page spending bill awards big increases to domestic programs and is stuffed with pet projects. The measure wraps together nine spending bills to pay for the annual operating budgets of every Cabinet department except for the departments of Defense, Homeland Security and Veterans Affairs.

The bill has 7,991 pet projects totaling $5.5 billion, according to calculations by the GOP staff of the House Appropriations Committee.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Congress approves massive spending bill - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2009 MSNBC.com

i love how msnbc (which has been on a trash obama and democrats spree, usually making NO sense in the process) doesn't actually state how much all those earmarks tally up to.. which is almost nothing in the grand scheme of things, and actually serve a useful purpose for the most part.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

By a 63-32 vote Monday, lawmakers rejected a bid by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., to effectively strip those earmarks from the bill.
    Ouch! That means several of the Republicans voted against McCain's amendment.

I'm not sure why MSNBC is saying it's Obama's spending bill. It's FY09 budgets, which were originally submitted by the Bush administration.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

cuz MSNBC has been a lying sack of shite lately
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's a conspiracy. Everyone is out to get Obama.

No, it's just MSNBC has been ridiculous lately, especially about the economy.

"If the president really wants to change Washington, as soon as this bill reaches his desk, he should veto it and send it back and say, 'Clean it up,'" McCain said.
    Like McCain has any credibility left after foisting Palin on the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I'm not sure why MSNBC is saying it's Obama's spending bill. It's FY09 budgets, which were originally submitted by the Bush administration.
    Word

Elite Member

Right, this is just clearing out old business left over.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Word
    Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Right, this is just clearing out old business left over.
    From the article:

It finishes up last year's budget business, which stalled as Democrats feuded with former President George W. Bush.

^Except you named this thread "President Obama's spending bill" which contradicts your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    ^Except you named this thread "President Obama's spending bill" which contradicts your point.

Mods, can someone please edit my thread title? Thanks...

Thread Information